Profile for David Jackson > Reviews

Content by David Jackson

David Jackson (Bedford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Dead I Well May Be (The Dead Trilogy)
Dead I Well May Be (The Dead Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A major talent, surely, 2 Jan. 2015
Excellent! Having read this one, I went on to read four McKinty books in a row, which is unheard of. It is intelligent, earthy, engaging and compelling - as are they all. The characterisation is a joy and the settings fascinating. Altogether a great introduction to a writer I have no idea how I've missed.

The Confession (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Legal Thriller Book 5)
The Confession (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Legal Thriller Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rediscovery!, 2 Jan. 2015
I bought this from an offer on BookBub (which I recommend). I had read one of Sheldon Siegal's books years ago and forgotten all about him, so was pleased to be reminded and to rediscover. I'd also forgotten how well he writes. I really enjoy courtroom dramas, so it's madness that I've largely ignored such a good writer. The central characters (lawyers Mike Daley and Rosie Fernandez) have engagingly complex lives and relationships, and the legal intricacies are intriguing. It is as much an investigative novel as a courtroom one, but no worse for that. Above all else, though, it's the intelligence and authenticity of the writing that strikes you and the compelling impetus achieved by the combination of first person and present tense narrative. I thoroughly recommend it - I'm already reading the next one.

Fifty Grand
Fifty Grand

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best. Merely excellent, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fifty Grand (Paperback)
Not his best. Merely excellent.

Electrif Lycanthrope (Live)
Electrif Lycanthrope (Live)

5.0 out of 5 stars Like most Little Feat fans, 25 Nov. 2014
I, too, have had this forever on a bootleg cassette bought in Camden Lock Market in the 70s. Like most Little Feat fans, I have everything pre-Lowell George's demise and most of the subsequent albums, even though they are a pale shadow of the former band. In amongst all the early great stuff (including Sailing Shoes, Dixie Chicken and Waiting for Columbus), this live show must be one of the highest of the high spots. It is unpretentiously celebratory of their best work - just a great band, playing with energy, in synergy and enjoying it. Some fantastic vocals, too. If you only get one more Little Feat album, this is the one.

I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy)
I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy)
by Adrian McKinty

5.0 out of 5 stars The first of this trilogy was excellent. This one is better still, 19 Oct. 2014
The first of this trilogy was excellent. This one is better still. The political backdrop of Ireland in the 80s is viciously and viscerally portrayed, but the real joy lies in the characterisation, the dialogue the plot and the pace. This is a quality read.

A House of Knives: Breen & Tozer 2 (Breen and Tozer)
A House of Knives: Breen & Tozer 2 (Breen and Tozer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Both this and its predecessor are great reads. The 60s setting is fascinating, 19 Oct. 2014
Both this and its predecessor are great reads. The 60s setting is fascinating, but the characterisation, plot, tone, relationships and setting all add to the enjoyment. Looking forward to the next one.

Quiet at the Kitchen Door
Quiet at the Kitchen Door

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising!, 5 July 2014
Beautifully composed, intelligently written, sensitively arranged and hauntingly sung. You will be playing this album long after the more superficially attractive ones have been resigned to the back of your collection. It really is a class act.

My Dreams Out in the Street
My Dreams Out in the Street
by Kim Addonizio

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost treasure!, 30 Jun. 2014
I loved this. Simple as that.

Galveston
Galveston

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Galveston (Kindle Edition)
This is a beautiful book, but you'd expect that from the writer of 'True Detectives'. It's just as poised and profound. Wonderful ending, great use of different time frames, subtly written and the whole thing is moving and satisfying.

Lean on Pete
Lean on Pete
by Willy Vlautin

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Lean on Pete (Paperback)
It was the musical connection that lured me into reading this - and I'm so pleased that I did. I loved it - totally compelling, moving and satisfying.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8