Profile for Ms. E. J. Baker > Reviews

Content by Ms. E. J. Baker

Ms. E. J. Baker "Elle" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shark Frenzy
Shark Frenzy
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for Disk 1 - Early Sambora and its good listening, 14 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Shark Frenzy (Audio CD)
Good double album featuring early Richie Sambora on guitar and on 3 tracks also on lead vocals. One track alone on the whole album and which is featured on disk 1 is worth the album price on its own, a track called Southern Belle. Richie could have picked it up and included it on his much later solo work and it would not have sounded out of place it really is a total standout. Of the remainder of this whole selection, Disk 1 is by far the better of the two and features the aforementioned track Southern Belle as well as some other really good tracks, Angel Eyes being one of them. Come Saturday Night is a great happy song which most people will identify with, Live Fast is great and a Beatles cover of Birthday is an interesting addition to the same disk. Disk 2 isn't as good. It has 2 tracks with Richie on vocals which are Good Life (ok) and Need Your Love (much better) but for the money and especially with Disk 1 being very listenable and I think it is worth the money on its own and I am very happy.

Great White My... My... My PAL DVD REG 2
Great White My... My... My PAL DVD REG 2

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Great White Video - now on DVD and the very best of the very best, 24 May 2017
Yipppeeee - I never thought I would find this again having had my whole collection stolen from me in 2012. I used to have this on video and loved it so much. These are classic Great White videos from the 80's and all you want is here - Rock Me, Save Your Love, Once Bitten the list goes on.
What you have are 3 from Once Bitten, 4 from Twice Shy, 3 more from Hooked (guess which ones?) and THE classic Zeppelin that used to be so hard to find on CD (and thinking about it, when this was made it wasn't available on anything commercial) Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. It was taken from MTV. What is there not to love there for anyone who appreciates this wonderful and totally underated rock band? I guess many like me didn't even realise they can still get hold of this collection, or even didn't know that it ever existed. Well folks it does and I would try and get your hands on a copy while they are still being sold.

I also disagee GREATLY with the other reviewer who says that the live and unplugged track is "boring". Does he not realise that live and unplugged is how they really sound and how a really great band should really sound? It is great, utterly terrific and there are no overdubs or fixes in mix on this one. Boring! How could anyone slate Babe I'm Gonna Leave You? Shame on you 2009 reviewer for not appreciating such superb musicianship. For those of us who do, this is as good as its gonna get. I am in 7th heaven having found this again.

Call It Rock N' Roll
Call It Rock N' Roll
Offered by InMusicWeBelieve

5.0 out of 5 stars And it is, 21 May 2017
This review is from: Call It Rock N' Roll (Audio CD)
Three really good tracks on a CD single which I used to own (autographed) and which was stolen in 2012. What you get is Call it Rock n Roll the first track off the excellent Hooked album and then 2 further singles previously unreleased unless you owned Live in New York because that is where they originate from. Live in New York was a limited edition release for the suits of Capitol who were the audience that night and costs a lot more than this single. The Hunter is a really rolling blues song (a cover) which I absolutely adore and Train to Nowhere is a song warning about the perils of taking drugs. That also was an old blues song. For this price if your collecing the rare stuff, I would go with the CD single, your missing Down at the Doctors, and Weak Brain and Narrow Mind on this single from the Live in New York rarities, but you can now also get the former on various released albums not to mention Mp3 and the latter is a very old Willie Dixon so perhaps not to all tastes.

Once Bitten
Once Bitten

5.0 out of 5 stars And once bitten I was truly hooked and still am, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Once Bitten (Audio CD)
One of the earlier Great White Cd's on Capitol Records and with the band now having Michael Lardie on keyboards and guitar as well as the staples of Jack Russell, Mark Kendall, Audie Desbrow and Lorne Black. Don't buy re-issues with bonus tracks they are not the same and the best is always the original version with this band anyway. I know, I had everything they ever made until it was stolen from me in 2012 and I knew the band. Tracks are
All over now, Lady Redlight, Never change heart, Mistreater, Fast Road, Gonna Getcha, On the Edge, Rock Me, Save your Love

Great White do blues rock better than anyone and this album sets the direction every bit as much as its predecessors of where Great White were going and it does it very well indeed. All the tracks are fantastic. If you love rock and rock blues you are sure to love this.

Sail Away
Sail Away

5.0 out of 5 stars The softer side of Great White (but not if you also buy it with extra live CD version), 10 May 2017
This review is from: Sail Away (Audio CD)
This is a softer album, there are no really hard rocking tracks on this album and its a night time listen for me. You get 10 tracks none of them are wimpy sounding, but they are not Rock Me either. They are the softer side of this wonderfully talented band. I used to have everything this band ever produced until it was all stolen from me in 2012. I therefore know what I'm looking for and I don't recommend buying reissues with bonus tracks, original is best and with Great White that was never more true. This one came with a live recording as a bonus CD. The live recording really rocks - it was recorded in Germany (remember that one too) and consists of 7 tracks
Call it Rock n Roll
All over now
Love is a Lie
Old Rose Motel
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Zeppelin cover and one of the hardest to find now by the band other than here)
Rock Me
Once Bitten Twice Shy

Highly recommended

Hooked
Hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars And I was hooked from first listen, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Hooked (Audio CD)
Love love love this album. Every single track I love; every single track is still as good and sounds as fresh years later as when it was first recorded which as I recall was 1991. This is the European pressing. There were no extra tracks on the USA or European ones, the Japanese had 1 bonus track in Wasted Rock Ranger which somehow just didn't actually fit the mood of this album at all. European disks were blue, Japanese yellow and USA ones were grey. This is sheer pure blues rock and you can't better it.
Tracks are:
Call it Rock n Roll, Original Queen of Sheba, Cold Hearted Lovin, Can't Shake it, Lovin Kind, Heartbreaker, Congo Square (my favourite), South Bay Cities, Desert Moon (really rocks) Afterglow (Steve Mariott cover and again no-one does it better)

If your new to Great White all of the Capitol recording albums are sheer class and absolutely rock. This is and always has been my favourite.

Twice shy/Live at the Marquee
Twice shy/Live at the Marquee

5.0 out of 5 stars Twice as Great, 10 May 2017
I love Great White and used to have everything they ever did until my collection was stolen from me in 2012. I am therefore replacing as much as I can with the best and only the orginal versions. This is well worth tracking down. It is possible to buy Twice Shy on its own and its a great album in its own right. Also with this package however was a limited edition official bootleg recorded at the Marquee (what a night that was!) and that is what your really paying for and taking the trouble to locate a copy of.
Twice Shy song listing is
Move it, Heart the Hunter, Hiway Nights, Angel Song, Bitches and other Women, Mistabone, Babys on Fire, House of Broken love, She only, Once bitten twice shy, Wasted Rock Ranger (really fun song)
Bootleg contains:
All Over Now
Is Anybody There
Face the Day
Rock Me

Most of these are very early recordings from Shot in the Dark and Recovery Live (and a couple from Once Bitten) and the band don't often do them live now so its extra special to hear it when they do. I was there and remember the gig well. Very hot and sweaty but boy did they rock and they've been rocking ever since. Happy memories always. Love this CD, well worth having and with bootleg, its priceless.

Great Zeppelin
Great Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Close your eyes and you can't tell Robert Plant and Jack Russell apart, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Great Zeppelin (Audio CD)
This is a live concert which Great White recorded as a tribute to Led Zeppelin, many of which they have covered on various albums and promo copies. This was a first however that was all and nothing but Led Zeppelin covers performed live. It was recorded in the USA - would have loved to seen it myself.
Tracks are
In the Light
Living Loving Maid
Ramble On
Since I've been Loving you (my favourite)
No Quarter
Immigrant Song
When the Levee Breaks
The Rover
Stairway to Heaven

14 songs in total sheer pleasure from start to finish. If you love Led Zeppelin it will be 7th heaven, if your not that familiar take a listen and hear how good both bands are especially in Great White's hands. I totally salute them for this tribute in every way possible. Thank you guys, love you always.

SHOT IN THE DARK CD
SHOT IN THE DARK CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Great White - Utterly Superb, 10 May 2017
This review is from: SHOT IN THE DARK CD (Audio CD)
I love early Great White. I knew them personally and musically for many years. My whole collection was stolen from me in 2012 so all are having to be as much as possible replaced. I am therefore tracking down the original version, not re-issues with bonus tracks. Not for me thank you. This is when the band were Jack Russell, Mark Kendall and Audie Desbrow with Lorne Black. Michael Lardie at this point had not joined the band. This is early Great White and is truly great Great White. There are 8 tracks which are:
She Shakes Me, What do you do, Face the Day, Gimme some Lovin (Spencer Davies cover and a good one at that), Shot in the Dark (terrific track absolutely outstanding), Is Anybody There, Run Away, Waiting for Love (my favourite).

This is recorded by Capitol Records, as I said I don't want re-issues, this is more expensive, but like all class, you get what you pay for and your are buying the very best of early recordings by a truly great rock band. Indulge and find out what you have been missing

Recovery
Recovery

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Wow What an Album this is, 10 May 2017
This review is from: Recovery (Audio CD)
My whole collection of Great White was stolen from me in 2012 and I had everything. I therefore specifically tracked this version of Recovery Live down. It is not the same as the Recovery Live that most people are selling. This one includes a rare EP of songs from 1982 which was out of print in months and is almost impossible to find now. The cover also states this. What you get therefore is Recovery Live and On Your Knees which adds up to 15 songs of early Great White with all the fire, the rock, the power and the energy you expect from these guys. The tracks are in the main the very early ones from 1982, 1983 and also 1986. Only the latter tracks of 1986 are on the typical Recovery Live therefore this version, much rarer is also much more special. Depending on how well you know the band, you may recognise tracks that are on here, if your new to them, you won't but don't let that stop you from investing in an absolutely terrific rock album. Tracks are:
1982 Out of the night, On your knees, Last time, No way, Dead end
1983 Hard and cold, Substitute (The Who cover and no-one but the Who could do it so well), Streetkillers, Bad boys, Stick it
1986 Immigrant Song, Rock n Roll (both Zeppelin covers) Money (the Berry Gordy Motown given rock treatment) Red House, I don;t need no doctor.

Red House is very special because it has Mark Kendall on lead vocals not Jack Russell, and Mark has got a terrific voice. There are not many recorded songs when Mark takes the lead so this is rather special and really does show the ability and versatility of Mark and indeed the whole band at that time. When this early stuff was recorded it was Jack Russell, Mark Kendall and Audie Desbrow (with Lorne Black - who is also on Shot in the Dark) at that time Michael Lardie was not yet a band member although Alan Niven was writing with them and working with them as well. I love early Great White and always will. Recovery Live is a great album, but with the added bonus of On your Knees it is way up in the very best there is league. Well worth the money and well worth finding if you still can.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20