Profile for Roy Rampling > Reviews

Roy Rampling

The Finkler Question
The Finkler Question

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter but fine once it gets going, 23 July 2015
Slow starter but fine once it gets going. Insights into the angst of being jewish and living an affluent life in London, perhaps just a tad overplayed.

Wanting
Wanting

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the majority of reviewers that the tenuous ..., 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Wanting (Kindle Edition)
I agree with the majority of reviewers that the tenuous links between two effectively separate stories makes the novel structure unsatisfactory. In the end neither story is told as well as it could have been. Nor was I convinced by the characterisation and I did not find that the novel informed me satisfactorily on how the desires that contributed to the "wanting" in the characters originated. I was left with the feeling that here were two very interesting novels, each of which needed more work to make them fully compelling.

The Leopard: Revised and with new material (Vintage Classics)
The Leopard: Revised and with new material (Vintage Classics)
by Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in novel writing, 13 Oct. 2014
The story interest is modest but the characterisation and descriptions of C19 Sicily at a time of turmoil are wonderful and totally absorbing. His style is unique and refreshing. Modern authors turning out 600 page tombs should take a lesson in how to produce a complete novel in just 200 pages. What a shame it is the only one he completed. The extra information in this version is very useful in understanding the work.

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens

1.0 out of 5 stars Same fault as others, 6 Oct. 2014
I can only echo what has been said by the majority of people offering a low score. After a few years my EFS 17-85 began to malfunction with exactly the description given. That is at settings between 17 and 24 I get the ERR99 error message which is undoubtedly due to the cracked cable fault described. The more this fault can be exposed to force Canon to do something about it the better. Poor value for a £500 plus lens.

Linen Baking Cloth
Linen Baking Cloth

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 23 May 2013
Performs exactly as described. Slightly expensive for what it is but it will last a lifetime. Glad I bought it.

250 Things to Do in Cyprus on a Sunny Day*
250 Things to Do in Cyprus on a Sunny Day*
by Chris Alden

2.0 out of 5 stars Bitty & uninformative, 23 May 2013
Do I really need a book to advise me "just get out & explore the map" or "just drive" or "consider staying in Panayia" - all titles of sections in this book that I might just have thought of myself. Unstructured and wordy without being informative. I did not use a single one of the topics suggested. A waste of money.