Profile for Elaine Simpson-long > Reviews

Content by Elaine Simpson...

Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Georg Jensen Tableau  Picture Frame, Medium
Georg Jensen Tableau Picture Frame, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful design but do you want to pay this price?, 19 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Georg Jensen is a Danish silversmith with a royal warrant for that country. Checking out his website I see it is full of the most beautiful things.They are expensive and much though I might yearn after them I certainly cannot afford their prices. I was sent this photo frame for review and am very grateful to have the opportunity for owning such a lovely piece. Beautifully made, very elegant and the four screws on the back of the frame fixing the back are also attractive and solid - I found it best to use a tiny little screwdriver to turn them to allow you to put in a photograph - this makes a change from the cheap frames I usually use where they fall off remarkably quickly. These clearly will not.

The back of the frame is padded in a pale champagne colour so it looks as good on the back as the front. Rounded edges, I now have a photograph of my grandchildren in it and am very pleased with it. Whether you wish to spend this large amount of money on a photo frame is, of course, up to you. Much though I admire this and its superb design I am not sure that £75 for an item like this is worth it. But that is down to personal choice. It is beautiful.

A Nest of Vipers (Inspector Montalbano mysteries)
A Nest of Vipers (Inspector Montalbano mysteries)
by Andrea Camilleri

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy, as always, 17 Aug. 2017
A man is found shot dead by his son. It seems that the victim is a loan shark, a hard business man and changes his young lovers every few months after having taken compromising photos of them and using them against them later. So the list of suspects is pretty long.

there is no need for me to go into details of the plot or how Montalbano uncovers a simply awful family at odds with each other, the Nest of Vipers of the title, as if you are fans of Camilleri's work you will know and love them.

I read these books for total sheer enjoyment for meeting the wonderful Catarella again, Fazio who seems to do most of the ground work in the station, Mimi Augello who though married still has an eye for the ladies and seems to get away with doing the minimum. I love love love them and settled down to read this with a cup of coffee and a Do not Disturb Sign on my door and I did not move until I had finished it. A total joy from start to end, witty, amusing, funny and, at the end when the solution is shown, rather disturbing and sad.

Loved every word

Absolute Power
Absolute Power

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but over complicated, 17 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Absolute Power (Kindle Edition)
Halfway through this book I suddenly realised why it seemed familiar which had been puzzling me as I had never read any Baldacci before. Then I remembered a movie of this name with Clint Eastwood, Ed Harris and Laura Linney and looked it up and, yes, realised that was the dramatisation of this story. The film streamlines the story, probably a good thing as Baldacci can make things rather complicated, and is a good watch.

Luther is a burglar and while robbing a house hears the occupants coming back - it is the wife who, while her husband was away, was entertaining her lover who seems to like it rather rough. She fights back and it all turns nasty and she attacks him with a knife. Two secret service men rush in and shoot her dead and then you realise that the man in question is the President of the United States and the cover up begins.

Great story, well written but I do wish Baldacci would cut back on the cover ups, double, triple agents, untrustworthy members of the FBI< CIA etc with which he peoples all his writing. I do enjoy them immensely but this can become a tad irritating after a while. Mark you this is probably my fault as having recently discovered this author I have been binge reading them all. NOT a good idea....

Tower Infinity T10016 Jug Kettle, 1.7 L, Brushed Stainless Steel
Tower Infinity T10016 Jug Kettle, 1.7 L, Brushed Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this stylish kettle, 17 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you click on this on Amazon the following appears:

"Enjoy your favourites teas, coffees and hot beverages in no time with this stylish 1.7L Traditional Kettle in brushed stainless steel. A great choice for your home or the office, its generous 1.7 litre capacity lets you boil up to 7 cups at once, making it the perfect option for sharing a beverage with friends, families and colleagues"

I live on my own so will not be sharing a beverage for anybody anytime soon, but have to say that this is a great kettle. It does all the usual things, boils quickly, tells you how much water is in etc and cuts off when boiling point is reached. Just like any other kettle.

What I do like about this model though is the style and design. It is not large for its capacity but its shape is very pleasing to the eye and, best of all as far as I am concerned, it is not heavy. I have had other stainless steel kettles which have weight a lot and made lifting rather difficult. I have a touch of arthritis in my hands and this can be a problem. But this stainless steel is a much lighter alloy and even full poses no problems at all.

It heats up very quickly and looks very stylish in my kitchen, a vast improvement on my old kettle. I am very pleased with it

Burt's Bees Nourishing Duo Gift Set
Burt's Bees Nourishing Duo Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product as expected from Burt's Bees, 17 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am sure users of Burt's Bees products need to reviews to encourage them to buy so difficult to know what to say here to attract a new viewer. This is marketed already as a Christmas gift set, in August, which made my heart sink but I ignored that. It is a set just the right size to be a 'stocking filler'. It contains body lotion and a lip balm. Both are excellent. The lip balm smooths on dry lips and makes them feel softer and nourished straight away. I used the body lotion after a shower this morning - it is fairly thick and rubs in beautifully.

I am going on a cruise in a few months and these are just the right size to take with me. An excellent product but then if you know Burts Bees you will already know that.

Skinny Sprinkles | Appetite Suppressant Weight Loss Drink with Glucomannan | 30 Servings
Offered by eBeauty Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Nausea inducing, 28 July 2017
I suppose we all long to find something to help us lose weight and I am no different from anybody else. I think this product will help you do so if only because since using it I have felt so nauseous and spent such a lot of time in the bathroom that the weight is dropping off. Not quite sure this is what the manufacturers envisaged however. The taste is also disgusting, like liquid bubble gum

Galt Paint By Numbers Parrots and Tropical Fish Art Set
Galt Paint By Numbers Parrots and Tropical Fish Art Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear colours and a good result, 21 July 2017
Bought this for my granddaughters aged 7 and 5 and they spent a happy afternoon colouring and painting. Loved it. Clear bright colours and a good end result.

The Nursing Home Murder: A Detective Story Club Classic Crime Novel (The Detective Club)
by Ngaio Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars the book that established Marsh as a force to be reckoned with, 21 July 2017
One of Marsh's best sellers and established her as a force in the Golden Age of Detection. This facsimile edition is wonderful - love the cover. Included in this edition are three chapters of an unpublished Alleyn novel and Stella Duffy, who introduces this reprint, is due to finish this next year having been given the notes and fragments left by Ngaio Marsh. Should be interesting

Story revolves around an MP going into a nursing home for an operation which is straightforward but which results in his death and it is clear that it was no accident. He is surrounded by various people who do not care for him, including his wife, a discarded mistress to name but two, and others who would be happy to see him gone. Classic of its genre. Great stuff

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant relief - brilliant, 21 July 2017
Long drive up to Yorkshire last month and by the time we had unpacked and settled into our cottage my back was aching badly. I have suffered from lower back pain for years and five hours in a car did it no favours. My friend whipped out this and said have a go and see if this will help. Rolled it across the skin of my lower back and the relief was instant. I was totally amazed. Used it a couple of times while walking the Dales and even used it on my arthritic left knee which can be painful at times and it worked on that as well.

Whatever is in this, it is marvellous. I sent off immediately for this on my return and now have it by me at all times. Better than any of the gels I have tried. Brilliany

Philips Series 5000 S5530/06 Wet and Dry Men's Electric Shaver with Turbo Plus Mode (UK 2-Pin Bathroom Plug)

4.0 out of 5 stars Flexible and easy to use, 20 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I asked my brother in law to test this shaver for me as his old one had just died the death. He has been using it for a couple of weeks and here are his thoughts:

'Like the way it sits comfortably in the hand, makes it easier to use as all good quality hand tools should.
The five way flexible head is a great improvement on my old model and it has the ability to seek out the contours around the jawbone - excellent
The cordless feature is a great book as it allows me to shave sitting up in bed with my first cup of tea! Bliss
Wet shaving - had three attempts at this, not too successfully. After rinsing my face I found I had missed several areas completely. I am sure the technique is a sound one on a growing beard perhaps, but it my case it is a matter of teaching and old dog new tricks and failing"

So four stars