Profile for Elaine Simpson-long > Reviews

Content by Elaine Simpson...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 852

Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips HR1875/21 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 1000 Watt - Brushed Stainless Steel
Offered by Discount-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of equipment, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a serious machine and not for the casual juicer. It is pretty big but very easy to use. the instructions are not really very clear but you can work out the mechanics pretty quickly. I tested it with some Gala apples and came up with a beautiful sweet juice. Ditto oranges, ditto pears.
It comes with a recipe book for various combinations of fruit and veg which may or may not be to your taste but really you can try any combination you like.

My only caveat with this juicer is that you really need to use it a lot to justify its purchase. It is pretty pricey and takes up quite a bit of space on your work top so only buy it if you are going to get use out of it. Also, I think it would be more useful if you have a garden with loads of fruit trees etc in it so you have the ingredients to hand else it works out rather expensive. I had three glasses of apple juice for the cost of the apples which were £1.89 and those were the cheapest apples I could buy locally. So worth bearing this in mind.

But it is a great piece of equipment and looks elegant and is very very easy to use and to clean.

Rimmel London Kate Lipstick Summer - Pink Rose
Rimmel London Kate Lipstick Summer - Pink Rose

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuk, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First up this is described as rose. It is not. It is a ghastly looking candy floss pink. It feel dry when applying and feels pretty horrid on the lips. I had to wipe it off almost straight away. Cheap and nasty.

skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Advanced Wrinkle Killer Day Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well, 26 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using the bee sting venom serum made by the same company recently, and while I was not overwhelmed with that one, do like this. I find it soaks in nicely and does not leave my skin feeling dry as the other serum did. I have also noticed that the dark circles under my eyes have vanished and the lines around my eyes have almost vanished. So very pleased with it. Whether I would buy it again is another question altogether as it is a bit more expensive than my normal basic cream

skinChemists Bee Venom Facial Serum 30 ml
skinChemists Bee Venom Facial Serum 30 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle worker, 26 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have mixed feelings about this product and while I can see a slight difference after using it for ten days, applying it twice a day as instructed, it makes my skin feel very tight and uncomfortable. And yes I know it is meant to tighten up the skin but I find I then have to slather my usual face cream over it to feel comfortable again.As I have dry skin anyway I find this serum only increases the dryness. I have also had very itchy eyes since using this cream. As it is hayfever season I put it down to that but it has made me wonder and I notice from another review on Amazon that somebody has had the same reaction.

Very few instructions or information in the package. Considering the fact that this is a top end product, price wise, and the fact that it contains bee string venom I think a little bit more information would be helpful.

I am grateful to have the chance to try this serum but will not be using it again. In all honesty I have to say that I am in my sixties and probably have the skin I deserve and no super products are going to change that now!

MICRO Pedi NANO Orange Portable Pedicure Device
MICRO Pedi NANO Orange Portable Pedicure Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gadget, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent little machine. I have layers of hard skin as I seldom wear shoes indoors and also drive with bare feet. I lived abroad as a child and spent most of my childhood in hot countries and ran around bare foot all the time. This is fine but I now have very hard skin on my feet and this little gadget has already made a difference. After two sessions I can feel the difference already, my skin is much softer, loads of hard skin has gone and I intend to use it daily until I get decent feet again. It fits nicely into the hand for easy use.

I over used it on one spot which was slightly tender the next day so be warned.
Also does not come with batteries so you will need to get some

I can recommend

Gorteks Marilyn/B2 Big Cup Non Padded Soft Elegant Bra
Gorteks Marilyn/B2 Big Cup Non Padded Soft Elegant Bra
Price: £18.52 - £29.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit, 20 Jun. 2015
Lovely bra, I had the white colour. Fitted beautifully. Only thing that has stopped me giving it five star is that the webbing effect makes the material slightly harsh around the clips at the back and when wearing can irritate and rub. I am hoping that this will soften after a wash or two.

NAILS INC Nail Polish, Hyde Park Place
NAILS INC Nail Polish, Hyde Park Place

4.0 out of 5 stars Good polish, avoid the grey colour, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
very good nail polish hard wearing and looks much more as if you have had a professional manicure. Goes on smoothly and dries very quickly indeed and is touch and lasts well. BUT do not get the grey colour as it is really pretty hideous and makes me look as if I have a something wrong with my hands. Other colours are much better

Cellfade Skin Enhancement lightening Cream 50 ml
Cellfade Skin Enhancement lightening Cream 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Spotted no difference, 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this for a month now and, as recommended, applying it twice a day. It is a light, clean smelling cream which sinks into the skin beautifully and leaves it feeling soft and nourished. So far so good. However, I can see no signs of lightning in my skin at all and any brown marks I have on my face have shown no signs of fading at all. A nice cream and that is all I can say.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Cover Set, Lilac with 2 pillowcases
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Cover Set, Lilac with 2 pillowcases

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 7 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set is described as part of Amazon Basics and it is excellent value for money. Plain and simple and, yes, basic, it is smooth and comfortable to sleep on and a lovely pale lilac colour. Very pleased with it.

The Truth According to Us
The Truth According to Us
by Annie Barrows

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, 31 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was rather puzzled to read that this book was from the co-author of the best selling The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society as I was under the impression it was written by Mary Shaeffer. However, it seems that Annie Barrows is the niece of Shaeffer and assisted with the writing of this title. Her name did not appear on the UK edition hence my confusion, but was used in the States. Quite how much she was involved with this bestseller written by her aunt is not clear and after attempting to read The Truth According to Us, I feel her input may have been minimal.

She is perfectly capable of writing a novel that is clear, but this weighs in at over 400 pages and I came to grief after about 100. Part narrative, part epistolary, I found the story meandering in the extreme. Set in 1938 in a small town in America it really tries too hard to be homely and quirky and over emphasises the characteristics of all the inhabitants of Macedonia, as the town is named, The characterization seemed to be far more important than the plot and when I finally tired of reading I still had no idea what was going on or any interest in what might be happening.

I ended up skimming the rest of the 300 odd pages and reached the end having discovered what happened and with the feeling that this result could have been achieved without so much padding.

I was prepared to like this book but, sadly, I was bored.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2015 4:23 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20