Profile for Elaine Simpson-long > Reviews

Content by Elaine Simpson...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 778

Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker - Metallic Red
Russell Hobbs 20682 Legacy Coffee Maker - Metallic Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Cup of Coffee....., 10 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simply delighted with this. I have been using a cafetiere for some time but have never been particularly enamored of this method. I will not drink instant coffee as I think it is awful and so have kept my coffee drinking for when I am out and can nip into a coffee shop. I can say straight away that I am now drinking coffee every day thanks to this coffee maker and what is more, it stays hot as the hotplate remains on.

Instructions book very clear and straightforward. Had it up and running in five minutes. Coffee scoop clicks into the side of the machine, clever touch, so you need never lose it, you can brew as much coffee as you want, be it one cup or four and the result in each case is excellent.

My cafatiere is now heading for the tip.....

The Lovers of Amherst
The Lovers of Amherst
by William Nicholson

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Lovers of Amherst (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My knowledge of Emily Dickinson is nil so I came to this book with no prejudices or ideas and found, initially, that I was enjoying it. The story of Emily's brother, Austin, an upstanding member of his community falling madly in love with a young professor's wife, lends itself to fiction though this book is based on fact. It has two strands, Alice writing a screenplay about this affair, travels to Amherst to research the background and finds herself having an affair with an older man, thus mirroring the love affair of a hundred years earlier.

Well written and kept me engaged to start with but after a while it became predictable and I found myself skimming at the end, always a bad sign. It was OK but no more in my opinion.

Revlon Nail Enamel - 14.7 ml, Red
Revlon Nail Enamel - 14.7 ml, Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the colour, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love the colour, goes on nicely, dries quickly. I only use nail varnish on my toes as I prefer to keep my fingernails short and clear. So far I have had the varnish on for three days and no chips or cracks and it looks pretty long lasting to me.

Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer and Brightener - 2.4 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars but the produce comes out in blobs and you do waste a lot, 4 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I usually use Touche Eclat for round my eyes and to cover up dark shadows etc and of course it is the top one in the market. This one by Revlon is much much cheaper and the packaging reflects this, not that that bothers me particularly, but the produce comes out in blobs and you do waste a lot. For the price it is fine but that is all I can say

Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain - 2.7 g, Honey
Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain - 2.7 g, Honey

1.0 out of 5 stars Too dry for me, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tried this out as soon as I received it and after using had to check that the word Balm was on the product. I can agree with the word Stain as it coloured my lips beautifully and lasted for hours, but I found that the product felt incredibly dry and did not go on smoothly at all. I am assuming that this product is meant to colour and moisturize at the same time but in my opinion it fails. I see from all the other reviews that I am in the minority!

Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Mould, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I live in a small block of flats which is not well insulated so in the winter months I get condensation and mould round my windows and have to keep a sharp eye out for it. I had trouble getting rid of it until this was recommended to me and now I am never without it. A spray and leave for five minutes and those nasty little black spores vanish. I also use it in the bathroom to keep the grouting in the tiles clear and have also used it to keep the rubber ring on my washing machine clear of all the gunge that builds up. I am not a woman who raves about household products but this one is well worth keeping in your cupboard under the sink

Masha
Masha
by Mara Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy to read this again, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Masha (Paperback)
This is one of those books that I read and re-read so many times in my youth. I simply loved it and ended up with a withdrawn copy which the librarian gave me as she said I had earned it! Sadly, somewhere along the way it vanished. The original is available online if you have about £150 to spare so it is obviously a difficult book to track down.

I see from all the reviews below that everyone is wishing that this book could be available again and now it is! Margin Notes Books have republished Masha and they were kind enough to send me a copy. I devoured it in one afternoon and loved it all over again, and I cried all over again. Sometimes when you revisit favourite books you can be disappointed but not this time. I was transported back to my old junior library and to Miss Collins who became my great friend and let me take out twice the number of books I was allowed as I read so many.

Masha travels to St Petersburg from her home in the country to attend the Smolni Institute for Noble Girls. Her family are impoverished though she qualifies by her noble birth. Girls were expected to study at the Institute for the full course of nine years and spend all their holidays at school. This means a parting from her widowed mother and the possibility that she may not seen her again. Masha is quiet and shy and has a hard time of it at first as she inadvertently lets out a breaking of the rules by other boarders when she is being interviewed. Innocently done but she is ignored and treated coldly on her arrival.

Alone in the garden one day she stumbles upon a tiny birch tree.

"The tree was a poor sight, with its pitifully thin trunk and its small leaves hanging forlornly from scrawny branches.........'Now look here' she whispered 'don't be so unhappy. You feel uncomfortable because you are new but it will pass. I made a terrible mistake you know and now the girls will never speak to me again.......we both feel lonely so shouldn't we be friends? I will come to visit you and I will tell you all my secrets...."

Throughout her years at the Institute Masha talks to the tree and when, years later she is chosen to be a lady in waiting and leaves Smolni, she returns.

"Overcome by dreams she stood looking upward at the branch, now high among the leaves....with a laugh Masha flung her arms around the birch tree....'It is not a fairy tale I am going to live with a beautiful princess and be her failthful lady in waiting"

What a joy it was to read this again. As I said it reduced me to tears several times and as soon as I had read the last page I rushed to see if I could purchase the Youngest Lady in Waiting but, alas, they are well out of my price range. So I am sending a heartfelt plea to Margin Notes Books to see if you can republish that title as well. You will have my undying gratitude.

A simply gorgeous book, rich in history and touching and true .Marvelous description of life amongst all the pupils, the excitement of feast days, visit from the Imperial family, all vividly described. Please do get hold of a copy, read and let me know what you think. Ostensibly a book for young readers and teenagers, it can be read by adults as well, in fact I think I enjoyed it even more this time.

Wonderful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 10:02 PM GMT

Hidden
Hidden
by Emma Kavanagh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Hidden (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book very difficult to get on with. The premise sounded good and as I am a huge crime fan I was looking forward to reading it. I have read other reviews and see a few found the narrative and the jumping backwards and forwards somewhat difficult to understand. I think I could have coped with that if it had not been written in such jerky short sentences. The style is terse and, presumably deliberate, but it does not make for an easy reading experience. Also, it is written in the present tense which increases this jagged delivery. Books in the present tense are, on the whole, a no no for me but I find if I really enjoy a book this ceases to bother me. Sadly, this was not one of those and I will freely admit I gave up half way through.

Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand
Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good..............., 28 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very glam looking product. Smooth and elegant. Unfortunately as it is so smooth and elegant it has no gripping quality whatsoever and feel that this product will only be useful to those with long hair so that you can wind it round the wand. I have shorter hair and was unable to use this as it slid all over the place and could only keep my hair wrapped round it by using a finger (not advisable as I now have a burned finger). My daughter, who has long hair, tried it and it was more efficient on her but even so she was not madly impressed.

Belkin BSV804 8 Way 2m Surge Protection Strip with 2 x 2.4A Shared USB Charging
Belkin BSV804 8 Way 2m Surge Protection Strip with 2 x 2.4A Shared USB Charging

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 21 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
bit difficult to review a surge protector as it does what it does and have been very pleased with this. I have so many devices to plug in that it is a worry that the whole electric system might fuse but this takes that worry away. Eight sockets which is excellent and, best of all, two USB ports so that I can plug in my ipad and Kindle direct without having to use any adapter. At the moment I am only using four of the sockets but have no worries that I will have problems when I load up more which I am pretty sure I will do.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20