Profile for Elaine Simpson-long > Reviews

Content by Elaine Simpson...

Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
St Moriz Advanced Pro Formula Exfoliating Skin Primer
St Moriz Advanced Pro Formula Exfoliating Skin Primer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and light and leaves a smooth skin, 28 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been sent some of the St Moriz range for review in the last week or so which coincided with snowstorms, hail and rain so it is not exactly the weather to be able to try out tanning products. However, this is an exfoliator which can be used at any time, whether you are tanning or not, so have checked it out and found it to be lovely and light on the skin, with a delightful smell, and leaves the skin very smooth and ready for tanning. I am sure another exfoliator would be just as good but this is part of the range and probably a good idea, if you are investing in one, to have all their products to hand.

Hawaiian Tropic 150 ml SPF 15 Pump Air Soft Sun Lotion
Hawaiian Tropic 150 ml SPF 15 Pump Air Soft Sun Lotion
Offered by Beaky Trading (UK VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and soft as a feather, 26 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As it is freezing cold at the moment, wet and rainy I am in no position to comment on the effectiveness of this sun tan lotion and I will come back to this review when I have used it on holiday.

What I can say is that it is as light and as soft as a feather and I have tried rubbing some in to see how it feels on my skin and it feels lovely. I have used lotions and after sun by Hawaiian Tropic before and have been very happy with them so see no reason to doubt that this will be as good. Also not as pricey as some of the other ranges

When the Music's Over: The 23rd DCI Banks Mystery
When the Music's Over: The 23rd DCI Banks Mystery
by Peter Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Banks hijacked by political correctness, 26 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read all of the Inspector Banks books and, on the whole, find them interesting, well plotted and well written. BUT, and this is a big but, the author will insist on telling us what music Banks is listening to and going into great details about the groups and the singers, to the point of tedium. OK we get it that Peter Robinson likes this stuff and wants us to know but I think we have got the message by now. It has got worse over the last three books and now detracts from what is nearly always a good story.

A few years ago a writer whose detective I used to follow wrote a book which was clearly based on the James Bulgar case and dwelt on it to the point of being distasteful. I thought it was ill judged and amazed that the publishers allowed it through. When the Music's Over latches onto Operation Yewtree and in the course of verisimilitude names all those involved, what the police have to do to make sure the public don't think they have got it wrong, mistakes made in the past etc etc. Banks has been asked to investigate a case of historic abuse, at this stage I wondered whether to bother carrying on, but I did. The famous name in the story is clearly based on Stuart Hall even down to his physical characteristics and appearance and I found this usage of a recent case left a nasty taste in my mouth. We also have a case running alongside this which involved a gang of Pakistanis grooming underage girls, again taken from life and again, I was not happy with this at all.

The book reads like a Robinson polemic on Islamaphobia, racism and immigration and it seems to me that Inspector Banks has now been hijacked by political correctness and wants to give us, the readers, a lecture. I was not happy with this at all, and yet finished reading it as there is an excellent story in here, with interesting characters and good solid police work. I just wish the author would stick to telling stories and not give us his views on the previously mentioned topics. I can read all about that in the papers.

St Moriz Professional Mousse, Medium 200 ml
St Moriz Professional Mousse, Medium 200 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product and light as a feather, 24 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First up, this has the most gorgeous smell. Usually self tan lotions, no matter how expensive they may be, always have that slightly off putting smell which is a total give away that your tan is fake. Though whether people are worried about this now I doubt.

Secondly, it is as light as a feather. A delicate foam which is easy to apply and melts into the skin. A mousse makes it less likely that you will have streaks and dark and light patches, but you still have to be careful when applying. I have only tested this on my legs as it is hardly tanning weather at the moment but I wanted to see how it would work. It slowly developed over the afternoon and I was left with a light tan. I had been sparing with it as I am fair skinned and this was the medium shade. I think I would be better off with a lighter shade which I would apply a bit more liberally.

No matter - this works well, feels good on the skin and, best of all, leaves you with a light delicate colour that is NOT orange and does not make you look like a refugee from Strictly Come Dancing. A good product.

Teach Yourself Visually iPad: Covers iOS 9 and All Models of iPad Air, iPad Mini, and iPad Pro (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Guy Hart-Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars I am particularly interested in the section of working with photos and books as the new ipad pro has a very good camera and is c, 24 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I regard myself as a fairly seasoned iPad user having had one for four years now, but I know perfectly well that there are aspects of it that I still do not understand and certain applications I have yet to use or try. This book covers all maodes of Ipad Air, Ipad Mini and the Ipad Pro. I have just bought an ipad pro which is as light as a feather and an object of beauty and though I have the basics to hand know there is even more to this ipad than my old one.
I am particularly interested in the section of working with photos and books as the new ipad pro has a very good camera and is capable of doing all sorts of things. I have never managed to master the self timer or time lapse shots, not have I used the Photo Booth app to take fun photos which I see I can here.
I have never even customised my email in the years I have had an ipad and so many other simple things to do which I have never done because I could not be bothered to do so in case I mucked it up. This book's title is Teach yourself Visually and every page has illustrations on how to do EVERYTHING and I mean everything. I have no excuse now for not learning how to use my new ipro and I am looking forward to following the instructions given in this terrific book.

If you have an ipad and are a new owner, or an old one like me, this book will be invaluable

Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes: The Story of Women in the 1950s
Perfect Wives in Ideal Homes: The Story of Women in the 1950s
by Virginia Nicholson

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but muddled, 20 April 2016
I like Virginia Nicolson's writing and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was born in the forties and remember the fifties and sixties so well and reading through this brought back many happy memories. The main thing that struck me when reading this title is just how far we have advanced since then. Girls growing up now automatically assume that they can do what they want with their lives and marriage is not the be all and end all as it was then. Whether you wish to be a housewife/married woman today is not the point - you have the choice to make your own decisions and not be hidebound as you were when I was a teenager.

It was fascinating to follow the lives of four or five wives of differing class and attitude through their aspirations from the age of fifteen onwards but I have to say that the time line of Perfect Wives is very difficult to follow. You are interested in one particular person's life and suddenly you are whisked off to another chapter and lose the thread. A few chapters later we discover a bit more about them. There seemed to be a total lack of organisation in how the book was put together and, when you come to the end, the author has summed up what has happened to the women she wrote about and it was just as well as by then I had lost track of what was going on.

Apart from this irritation, I have to say that I enjoyed this book very much. Written in an accessible lively style and packed full of information and, as I said earlier, brought back loads of memories not least the one where I had to prove I was engaged to be married before I was allowed the contraceptive pill!

Yes we have come a long way...

Grand Hotel Sticker Book (Doll's House Sticker Books)
Grand Hotel Sticker Book (Doll's House Sticker Books)
by Jonathan Melmoth

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for adults too, 20 April 2016
I have bought many of these books for my grandchildren but after being envious of them having them, I freely admit that I ordered this one for myself and am having great fun putting all the stickers in! The historical information provided is excellent and is perfect for children (and grandmothers....)

Historical Sticker Dolly Dressing 1930s Fashion
Historical Sticker Dolly Dressing 1930s Fashion
by Hazel Maskell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 20 April 2016
my two granddaughters love these sticker books and we are working our way through all of them. However, when this one arrived I loved it so much I kept it for myself and had a great evening putting all the stickers in. I also like the information on each page and the illustrations which are excellent. I freely admit to buying another one, The Grand Hotel, for my own personal fun!

Lesser and Pavey 23 cm Home Sweet Home Laundry Powder Box, Cream
Lesser and Pavey 23 cm Home Sweet Home Laundry Powder Box, Cream
Offered by mydealsaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and attractive, 20 April 2016
have been looking for a container like this for ages to house my powder for the washing machine as packets tend to get damp, no matter where you put them, and the washing powder inside gets lumpy.This is an elegant container with a scoop for placing the amount needed in your machine. It can be hooked on the side but after knocking it on the floor several times I now keep it inside. But that does not really matter. An elegant, charming container and looks really attractive sitting on my shelf

Rimmel London Volume Flash Super Speed Mascara
Rimmel London Volume Flash Super Speed Mascara

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic, 20 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried many mascaras from expensive, very expensive, middling and cheap and have yet to find one that lives up to its claims of super eyelashes, thick eyelashes, long lasting etc etc. This is no different. It is a perfectly acceptable mascara and if you ignore all the build up and jargon you will probably be happy with it. And, quite frankly, at the price it is good value for money if you just want basic.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30