Profile for Mr. S. C. Beswick > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. C. Beswick

Mr. S. C. Beswick "Steve" (Midlands, UK)

Plant Theatre Herb and Flower Stage Metal Traditional Design - Black
Plant Theatre Herb and Flower Stage Metal Traditional Design - Black
Offered by Garden and Home UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for metal splinters, 16 Jun. 2013
The front underside of the shelves has metal splinters. My dad managed to find them and cut a finger. Nice product but quality control needs to be better.

EdgeStore  DAS501T 5 Bay eSATA DAS Enclosure
EdgeStore DAS501T 5 Bay eSATA DAS Enclosure

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe in the knowledge my data's now secure, 4 May 2009
Prior to this purchase I had a collection of usb drives of various sizes and ages - and they annoyed the hell out of me! I had slow boot times as bios and every layer of windows seemed to want to check them out. I had serious lag in windows when the drives had to be spun up (sequentially) even though I wasn't trying to access them :-(

And then, a few weeks ago, one went pop. I have RAID 10 internally for important stuff so I wasn't heart broken, but decided that I would invest in a RAID 5 external rig.

I had over 3TB of usb storage so the 'common' two or three bay DAS were no good, and I didn't want or need NAS. I then found the DAS501t.

I define quality as 'fitness for purpose' and this was a perfect fit for both my requirements and my wallet. It arrived well packaged and was a breeze to install. I fully loaded it with 1TB Samsung F1's and used RAID 5 to give me 3.6TB usable. My slow boots and windows lag are a thing of the past and my data's now safe from single drive failure - and all at a very reasonable price. It's e-sata with write caching so is super fast too. I've also saved 6 mains sockets and 2 usb hubs, which is a benefit I hadn't thought of.

It comes with a 2-port PC card so when I run out of space in this rig I will definitely be buying another DAS501t and cracking open my old usb drives to fill it.

Many Thanks Edge10.

Latest update: Now have a second and been working ok for a few months. Few points to note for anyone thinking of buying.

(1) safe-removal doesn't work and other units like this have same issue. In RAID5, each time you reboot or discon the unit it does a redundancy check on startup. This is not so noticeable when data volumes are low but a tad annoying when you have them 50%+ full.
(2) A few people have reported the unit as only recognising the first drive. This is not a problem with the unit but rather the documentation. It does work when you know how to set it up