Profile for a reader > Reviews

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District
The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District
by James Rebanks

5.0 out of 5 stars a joy from start to finish, 3 July 2015
For me, a joy from start to finish. A heady mix of autobiography, social history, natural history and shepherding told in a refreshingly straightforward and unpretentious way. Behind the detail lurks a passionate attachment to the land, its people and its history which came through time and time again. Will make every reader want to visit the lakes and other upland areas and, most importantly, see and think about them in a new light. It made me consider the link between place and identity, the relationship between the urban and rural, the importance of the working people to the continuance of this landscape, the influence of the 19th century romantic view of our wilder places and the, sometimes, very harsh reality of taking responsibility for livestock in our unpredictable climate. Powerful, informative and poignant in equal measure.

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk
by Helen Macdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 July 2015
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Paperback)
I was disappointed by this book. Although there are passages in which the writer describes moments and seasons in the English landscape with great beauty and using interesting and arresting language (I found myself re-reading phrases and paragraphs as she painted very lovely descriptions of the countryside) I was strangely unmoved by a book ostensibly about grief. I came away with little sense of the person writing although there was lots of description of feelings. I could not really fathom the recurrent references to the writer T White and by the end I simply found them tedious. Although it was interesting to learn about aspects of the history and terminology of falconry, I was struck by the complete absence of reflection about the ethics of the 'sport' and about whether it was in any way problematic to breed, train and exploit a wild bird in this way.I accept that some books just don't 'click' with some readers and perhaps I missed the point but I was left feeling rather flat and mystified and ultimately I don't really think it was worth the effort and time spent reading it.

Becoming Orgasmic: A sexual and personal growth programme for women
Becoming Orgasmic: A sexual and personal growth programme for women
by Julia R. Heiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very empowering and practical, 12 Nov. 2010
I would highly recommend this book to any woman who had never had or has difficulties acheiving orgasm. It recognises the anxieties and doubts caused by such difficulties, the sense of being 'abnormal' in some way and gently and thoughtfully guides the reader through a series of physical and psychological exercises, along the way giving useful factual information. I didn't find it wordy or cumbersome but thorough and encouraging. It emphasises individuality and that readers may take as long as they need at each stage without feeling pressurised to achieve and set themselves up to fail in the process. I liked the way that the psychological and physical aspects of the sexual experience are linked and also the very practical approach taken. Overall - transformational.

Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression
Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression
by Sally Brampton

5.0 out of 5 stars honest, no-nonsense account of severe depression, 31 May 2009
A friend who is interested in mental health issues recommended this to me. I've worked in General Practice in the UK for 15 years and found this direct, unsentimental, honest and raw account of the experience of depression and alcoholism informative and, at times, intensely moving. This should be required reading for all health professionals and may also be very helpful for sufferers and their family and friends. Brampton is rightly angry about the stigma attached to depression and talks of her relief when she is finally told she is 'ill'. She is realistic and pragmatic as she explores, in an accesible way, some current ideas about the causes of depression as well as suggesting a number of helpful approaches towards coping with, and ultimately conquering, this awful illness. I found her journalistic style grated a bit to begin with but soon became absorbed in her story. The book is well referenced and also has a useful list of supplementary reading/useful websites.

I Saw Ramallah
I Saw Ramallah
by Mourid Barghouti

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 28 May 2006
This review is from: I Saw Ramallah (Paperback)
I came upon this beautiful, unique book whilst searching for arabic poetry. The style is sometimes poetic but there's also raw experience,a reasoned,almost gentle questioning of the Israeli occupation and a sense of injustice on such a scale that it cannot be ignored. Much more effective than any textbook and more moving than any TV documentary. Read it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2008 7:22 PM GMT