Profile for Alexandra > Reviews

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault in Our Stars, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Let me start out by saying that this book ripped my heart from my chest, crumpled it and then proceeded to throw it on the ground and trample on it in the most beautiful way imaginable.
I was slightly hesitant going into this book as I don't read many contemporary novels, and it was so hyped up by both friends and reviews I've read/seen about it that I was sure I was in for some major disappointment.
I couldn't have been more wrong. John Green's writing is something I rarely find, the kind where I never stumble over a word in mid-sentence because it flows so perfectly. The story itself was just phenomenal. I fell in love with the characters, I laughed at the dark humor, I cried continuously for a good five or six chapters and no word of a lie I have never cried at a book before (I tend to have somewhat of an ice heart).
Please, please do not be put off by the hype this book has received, it truly is warranted, and even if, like me, you don't tend to read much contemporary give it a go. This is one of those books that I feel pretty much most people could find enjoyment in. I already have a list of friends and family members that I will be loaning this book to because in my humble opinion everyone needs to experience the flawlessness that is The Fault in Our Stars.
A.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 7:29 PM BST

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum 02)
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum 02)
by Janet Evanovich

4.0 out of 5 stars Two for the Dough, 5 Jan. 2014
Stephanie's back, and she's just as haphazardly-badass as ever.
Grandma Mazur steals this book for me, she is such a hilarious, wonderfully written character, so hats off to Evanovich. That's not to say that I don't love Stephanie, and all of the other characters. That Morelli, well, let's just say there's a certain car scene where I would have made the complete opposite decision that Stephanie did.
I gave this four stars rather than five because for me it wasn't quite as good as the first Stephanie Plum novel, One for the Money, but I'm not entirely sure whether that's because the plot was slightly slower or because with the first one I was so excited to have found a truly unique, in my reading experience at least, book and with the second I kind of knew what I was getting.
If you like mystery with some action, major laughs and a little sexy time thrown in then this is the series for you. I will definitely be buying the next book in this series.

The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare

4.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angel, 5 Jan. 2014
Having read only the first in The Mortal Instruments series, despite owning the first four, I decided to pick up Clockwork Angel, the first in The Infernal Devices trilogy, a spin-off series of sorts, thinking I could read the series' alongside each other.
Let me start off by saying that Cassandra Clare's writing from City of Bones (Mortal Instruments 1) to Clockwork Angel has greatly improved. The story flowed more smoothly and the world building far surpassed that of City of Bones; but enough with comparisons, on to the actual book in question.
Clockwork Angel was immersive from the get go, grabbing my attention tightly and never letting go. The multitude of characters were all written extremely well, and it didn't take a long time for me to feel like I'd been acquainted with these characters for much longer than an introductory novel. There are characters you love, characters you hate and one character in particular (at least for me) that I loved to hate, but my review shall contain no spoilers so you'll just have to read it to find out.
Not a bad word written so far, so why 4 stars you may be asking? There were a few instances, granted by a few I mean very few, where the main character, Tessa, contradicted herself. For example Tessa is talking to Will about Boudica and is astonished that Boudica fought etc and did unladylike things, then on practically the next page she says about how she doesn't like people to tell her she can't do things because she is female. To me this is a contradiction, and while it might be harsh to drop a star for such instances it's one of my pet peeves. I'd have given 4.5 if I could but alas.
If you enjoyed City of Bones, or the Mortal Instruments series in general pick this book up, I guarantee you won't regret it. Even if you disliked City of Bones give this a go, as I previously said this is much better. If you like fantasy with a little romance and some action and a more than healthy dose of mystery then this is the book for you.