Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Ben McInerney > Reviews

Content by Ben McInerney

Ben McInerney

Navigon 40 Plus 4.3 inch Sat Nav with 43 European Maps
Navigon 40 Plus 4.3 inch Sat Nav with 43 European Maps

4.0 out of 5 stars A very worthy competitor to UK mainstream options., 28 Jun. 2011
This is a fantastic bit of kit. My trust in my decision to try something that wasnt mainstream in the UK, but boasted many more features for its price-point paid off.
Although I have to admit, I almost joined the whinging likes of "PMG"'s review.

It must be my fat fingers, but i had a hell of a time selecting the "Back" function (the [<] button in the bottom-left of the screen), which is a very crucial/essential button to work.
I discovered this only when trying to set the route for my trip through France, Belgium & Luxembourg on the ferry from Dover.
I had the same grief while trying the upper-left "Country" selection button.
My heart started to fade. It was an extremely frustrating first experience.
I was all prepared to go down the "sending it back" route, but hesitated, thinking first i will try to calibrate the screen, the idea being that i suspected the device was excluding too much around the border of the screen.
Anyhow, as i only use the device for overseas trips, it sat on the shelf until tonight.
I got it back out, found the Calibration Settings screen, and was suprised to read "Using your stylus, lightly press on the crosshairs" - HANG ON! I didnt get a stylus with my device!
I grabbed the one out of my eBook Reader and eagerly proceeded with the recalibration.
Afterwards, and with joy, i whizzed around all of the buttons USING THE STYLUS. The difference was absolutely amazing.
I then tried again with my finger, and, well, similar result as before. Grrrr.
So, what this all means is that i will keep a stylus with the kit and use that from now on. Not too much of a problem, as you shouldn't really use the device while driving (all the big "Route Chosing" buttons work fine with fingers)

A lot of TomTom and Garmin device around the same price DO NOT COME WITH A 4Gb memory capacity (ususally only 2Gb) - so even though they may promise 43 countries, they are NOT ALL HELD ON THE DEVICE. You have to upload them from your PC (while deleting other countries to make space)
This is ridiculous if you want to make a quick unplanned deviation into another country, and well, just cheap on the manufacutures part - memory cost nothing these days.

Regarding Mr PMGs review ... People, please "BEWARE" of his inappropriate comments. He rushed in, ignored the initial configuration questions the device asked him to provide and then complains no end that its speaking to him in German.

All he had to do was:
From Chapter 3 of manaul:
"When you switch on the navigation system for the first time, you will be
asked to make the following settings:
- your preferred language for using for the software"

Of course, the gentleman must have rushed through these screens, and left the default, being German of course.

Anyhow, easy to change at anytime:
Options > Settings > General > Page 4/5 > Language (3rd option down) > choose from 27 langs!!!

I suspect its the same with his statement about Tolls - he probably has it configured to "Avoid Toll Routes". Dummkopf indeed. RTFM.

All in all, i am very happy with the unit.