Profile for FraserM > Reviews

Content by FraserM

FraserM

Page: 1 | 2
Foscam FI8910W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with IR-Cut Filter for True Color Images - 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing and antiquated unreliable software, plenty of better options on the market these days., 30 Jun. 2016
I`ve owned this camera for quite a while now, I bought it for monitoring my baby son in his nursery at night. I`ve previous experience with network cameras, having set-up many other types. The main issues I have with the camera is its antiquated software to set it up and configure. It is totally inadequate which is a shame, because the hardware itself isn't too bad. More often than not, I try to connect to the camera with my phone or laptop, it returns a 500 Server Error on the phone, or just re-loads the log-in page on the laptop.

I`ve upgraded the firmware/software for the camera, this has not helped (trust me, this in itself was a complete hassle that I wouldn't want a non-technical person to have to try and understand which version they are supposed to install and in what order.

And beware, there is a Foscam UK and a Foscam USA, they seem to be in competition with each other. No idea why. Foscam USA seem to be the "real" folks to offer support etc..

Honestly, its a mess. Appalling software, confusing who Foscam really are, and an unreliable camera. All in all very disappointing.

Drop Down Loft Access Hatch
Drop Down Loft Access Hatch
Offered by Trade Counter Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but take note that hatch can too easily pop off its hinges., 2 April 2016
Nice loft hatch, seems well enough sealed and insulated. A nice feature is that the hatch is easily removed if you want it out the way while you access the loft, but unfortunately I`ve deducted a star because in my opinion it is too easily removed - and is actually too easily done by mistake if you have a loft ladder which pushes against the hatch when it is open. I nearly broke a toe the first time I use my new loft ladder with it! The hatch was hanging there, I pulled the loft ladder down, it pushed against the hatch slightly and the hatch came right out of the fittings and crashed to the ground beside my feet. A few bits of plastic broke off but it seems ok thankfully.

So, take note. If you have a loft ladder such as the one I have (Telesteps Telescopic ladder) that tends to push a bit on the hatch, you will have to always take the hatch off before you pull down the ladder completely. But luckily it is easily done!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars More Dong than Ding.., 24 Mar. 2016
I bought this because it looks pretty cool, and from the video reviews posted has a proper "ding dong" sound. Fitting the doorbell was where things went wrong for me. I wanted to screw the unit to the wall. There are two areas in the back of the doorbell that you can put two holes in for two screws to attach it to your door frame/wall. But one of the areas is covered up by the circuit board itself. So to fit this using the supplied screws, you would actually have to remove the circuit board (which in itself is attached with another tiny screw) which seems a little risky and badly designed. To be fair, they do give a good sticky pad to use instead, and in the end I resigned myself to using that as I didn't want to risk breaking the unit through electronic surgery.

After going through all of that, once the doorbell was fitted to the door frame, it just didn't work! Pressing it wouldn't light up the button, or trigger the bell units inside. I think this might be down to the fact that I took the cover off (to see about fitting screws) and while I was very careful to put it back in exactly the same way (and re-tried a few times after) it just wasn't liking it. I`ve sent it back.

As for the sounds .. well, it has 49 tunes that no-one is probably going to ever use, 1 Christmas one for season fun, and 2 ding-dong-ding-dongs which if I`m being brutally honest sounded a little cheap. And if I wanted cheap I would have brought one of the ones for under a tenner!

Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor SCD505/01 with Light and Lullabies
Philips AVENT DECT Baby Monitor SCD505/01 with Light and Lullabies
Offered by imperialoutlet-UKSTOCK

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough monitor, but had to return.., 5 Dec. 2015
Updating my previous review, we found that unfortunately in the middle of the night this would lose contact with the base unit and start beeping waking us up! Very annoying. Trying to return it now as we can't go on with this. To be fair, we do have lots of wireless network, Dect phones, and a Nest thermostat all doing wireless things, but then our Angelcare monitor never used to have this problem so can only put it down to this product struggling with it.

3 x Homecare Shiny Sinks Cream Cleaner For Ceramic Stainless Steel Granite 290ml
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars they recommend this stuff on their website, 15 Oct. 2015
Bought a new Franke sink, they recommend this stuff on their website. Our sink gets a lot of use and limescale builds up within a couple of days, but a good polish with this stuff does the trick. You want a shiny sink? Get Shiny Sink cream then :)

Motorola MBP160 Audio Baby Monitor - White/Black
Motorola MBP160 Audio Baby Monitor - White/Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough control over volume, 15 Oct. 2015
Its a basic baby monitor, no frills. You hear what baby is doing. I have knocked it down a couple of stars because the volume adjustment is not good enough. As far as I`m concerned it goes from "Nothing (lights only)" to "very loud" to "even louder". While I`m sure some of you are thinking "Great, just what I want", when your baby gets a little older and you just want to have it in your room at night and be alerted to only louder cries as opposed to a little night time murmer, this is where you won't get on with the unit - you cannot turn it down to a useful level at nighttime and still get a decent nights sleep.

I also don't like the kick stand thing. This just looks like it`ll get broken one day. Why couldn't they just design it with a flat bottom instead and let it stand on its own? They had to go fancy and put a curved bottom on... and then compensate that with a kickstand to make it stand up.

Maybe I`m just grumpy because I didn't get a good nights sleep last night because of the volume thing. :-) Have unfortunately had to return this now and have ordered a Phillips Aventa which ironically has a number of 3 star reviews saying it isn't loud enough. Sounds perfect!

Little Nipper Mouse Traps (4 pack)
Little Nipper Mouse Traps (4 pack)
Offered by Goods Wholesale Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard mouse trap, no frills or quality., 21 Dec. 2014
Ordered this after we heard a scratching in a loft. Good for the price I thought, and the picture on Amazon certainly makes them look a little more "professional". However, don't be fooled by this, you do not get these in fancy packaging as shown, you just get a plastic bag with no instructions, and the quality of the wood and print is pretty rough and varies greatly between them. Now, I don't want to get this out of perspective, it is a mouse trap designed for one thing (after which, I`m probably just going to chuck it anyway), so didn't want to pass judgement until I used it. I have added a photo of what I received.

All in all, it is a standard mouse trap. A bit fiddly to set (mind your fingers!) but with a little peanut butter on and left it for a day it caught the mouse. Hopefully it was a quick ending.

Unfortunately, one of the four traps received would not set, it would not hold the spring trap open, so that one is useless. Couldn't be bothered to return it for the price.

So, -1 star for the incorrect imaging and general quality, and -1 star for the one trap that didn't work.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Robex Snack Bowl, Orange
Robex Snack Bowl, Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars Sticky Bottom, 1 Feb. 2014
These bowls look great, but the material they are made from is a bit light-weight. For a bowl I was hoping for something a bit weightier than this, it is basically a plastic type of material.

My biggest bug-bear with these bowls is the stupid sticky label they have put on the bottom of them. They are just impossible to remove without leaving a sticky mess on the bottom. I have tried everything from soapy hot water, to MANY runs through the dishwasher. But even now when I put the bowl down somewhere, it sticks to whatever surface it is sat on, or your fingers while you are carrying them!

In summary, good looking, and especially useful to bowl-slip concerned people who go on bumpy plane-rides, or live on a hill.

Frankenstein latex mask
Frankenstein latex mask
Offered by Masks-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good details, but a few tips.., 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Frankenstein latex mask (Toy)
I like this mask, it is well detailed and pretty scary - but there are a few things to be aware of:

Firstly, it is very large! I have a fairly large head (I`m 6'3"), and the issue with this mask is that the forehead space is so large that your head just slips all the way up into it! I found a bit of "boob tape" stuck to the inside of the masks forehead works nicely, so that the mask in effect sticks to your own forehead and doesn't slip down. You can line it up with your eyes then.

Secondly, the neck line - when the mask is positioned correctly, you need to have a high collar item of clothing for best effect, otherwise you just see the end of the mask showing. The neck is pretty baggy as well due to the size of it.

Finally, it gets verrrry hot inside! I wore this for a couple of hours at a party and was very hot inside after that time, so wear with caution! On a positive note, if you are at a party, you can fit a bottle of beer through the mouth. :-)

That said, I`m pleased with it and it will get people second-looking for sure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2015 9:43 PM GMT

Buffalo Airstation NFINITI WL-N 300MBPS Wireless Broadband Router and Access Point

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it was defective.., 27 Dec. 2012
I bought this to replace another Buffalo wireless access point product I have been using previously, and I count myself as technically competent - I`ve installed many access points for people previously.

For this one, I truly hope it is defective, but I cant be bothered to try another one to find out! It would just take many minutes to load an initial configuration page then timeout after that. Frustrating waste of time and disappointing for a Buffalo product.

Page: 1 | 2