Profile for Ally B > Reviews

Content by Ally B

Ally B (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard remote for TV streaming boxes, 16 Oct. 2016
Recently I got an Android Tv box and joined the latest craze in Tv viewing. I went for the Antsir Android Tv box which came with a standard point and shoot remote. I realised immediately that while the box was great, sadly the remote was not. I did a bit of researching and decided to try this product. I was initially a bit apprehensive, I was't sure if it would work just that simply with my box.

It arrived quickly, simply packaged but all was present and correct. Within the box was the remote keyboard, charging cable (no wall socket), and user manual. I will be entirely honest, put the user manual straight in the bin. It will be of no use to you. I am happy with the overall size of the keyboard, it's about the same size as my hand. Not bulky but not so small that I'd risk losing it.

The cover plate that conceals the battery (BL-5B), also holds the little USB adapter. It really is tiny, not sure I've seen one as small as that! I put the keypad on charge for a while as the battery was low. After a while, I put the USB adapter into my Antsir box, and turned the keypad on. I was shocked to learn that no setup was required, it work straight away! OMG what a difference.

The keypad has all your standard buttons: direction pad (up, down, left, right), OK, volume up/down, home and menu on/off. In the middle is the tracker pad. I really am so surprised at how well it works. One finger, moves the on-screen mouse, two fingers scrolls down menus. In addition to that is the full QWERTY keyboard as you would find on any PC. A Function (Fn) button in yellow, also gives buttons an additional feature as shown in the yellow print. Pressing the Fn (bottom left) and the brightness button (bottom right) at the same time turns on the back light, which really is very bright. I would have thought the back light would time out after say, 10 seconds, but it doesn't appear to. The remote as a whole goes to sleep after about 30 seconds, press any button to wake. Shoulder buttons (L + R) work like back and forward, very helpful when navigating. ON/OFF slider button is located on the back.

This has been a total revolution to my Tv viewing. I don't need to delve into the world of the well known add-on taking the TV streaming world by storm, but this remote is a must for anyone toiling with a standard remote. Searching for a film, say "the curious case of Benjamin Button" for example, I felt myself age (not backwards though) by the time I finished typing. This remote would type that in seconds. I am so happy and glad I made the purchase.

Are there any cons? Well the user manual. Full of useless tech spec and very little helpful info. It says that it will connect to a phone, how? My phone doesn't pick up any bluetooth signal. The track pad is not lit, but gets a little sporadic left over light from around the edges. Not a problem, just looks a bit forgotten. The battery cover, just a little rattly and sits exactly where your fingers sit when holding the keyboard, could do with being just a bit of a tighter fit. None of these are enough to drop a star for me.

I bought this to work with my Tv streaming box. It does that and does it very well. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good internet TV box, perfect for beginners, 12 Oct. 2016
I got this a few weeks ago and have basically used it every day since. It arrived well packaged and came with all set up instructions and cables required. No batteries were supplied with the remote.

Firstly, this is a internet tv streaming box. It uses Android software and comes pre-loaded with apps like Netflix and others can easily be installed from the built in app store. The main home screen is very pleasant and easy to use, it loads up from being switched off in less than a minute. My main gripe with this box is the remote. It totally lets the box down. For the price, I would have definitely have given this 5 stars. It's like you need to aim it directly at the box or it doesn't work at all. I really wished I had plumped for the box with the keyboard remote....typing in the name of a film makes me so angry I don't even want to watch it by the end.

Secondly, this box arrived with Kodi fully installed. I brought a friend round to help me set up Kodi as I had never used it before. The response I got was that EVERYTHING I could possibly ever need was already installed and ready to use. It's great for beginners who don't want the fuss of setting up the add-ons.

The box has a SD card port and a couple of USB ports. I have tried to use both with no success. I inserted a USB stick and a SD card from a camera but nothing popped up on the screen and I couldn't find any menu for searching devices. Thats said, I didn't but it for that reason, it would have just been cool if it worked. I'm sure you will find many articles online that explain the use of Kodi so I will not go into that here.

Review: Worth the money, good do with a better remote, and wish the ports worked (or were easier to use). I'm sure most people are buying this for Kodi, it works well and comes already installed. Some boxes come with a higher spec but what this has seems to be more than adequate.

Rock Rose Gin, 70 cl
Rock Rose Gin, 70 cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Gin in a lovely bottle, 12 July 2016
This review is from: Rock Rose Gin, 70 cl (Wine)
I live only a few miles away from where this gin is made and have been sampling it since it came out a couple of years ago. I will admit that I am no big Gin drinker, but I can certainly enjoy a G&T with Rock Rose. Yeah it does have a more floral taste than others, but I think I have always found other gins a bit like paint stripper (not that I have tried that!). Admittedly I first gave this a go as it is local produce however almost everyone that I've given it to has liked it, it's up to your personal taste though. They have now made a vodka "Holy Grass" which is awesome, much more my style!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very handy motion sensor light, 9 April 2016
We have lived in our house just about a year now and it has always annoyed me that the bedroom cupboard does not have a light fitted. I was just about to call an electrician when a friend suggested a light like this. I found this one with a motion sensor and thought it might just work.

The light arrived quickly, well packaged and set up was very easy. All that was required was inserting 3 x AAA batteries (not supplied) and it immediately turned on. I think it turns on once just to show that it's working. After that it went off and only illuminated again when it sensed movement and the light level had dropped to the required level.

I found an appropriate mounting surface and removed the sticky backing sheet. Once mounted it is stuck quite firm however I have not had to try removing it yet. It does come with the option to hang it as shown in the photo. The light stays of about 30 seconds and it easily bright enough for our semi-walk in cupboard. The main body of the light screws off the reveal the batteries, with the backing still stuck down. Very handy for replacing the batteries, something which I have not had to do yet.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the motion sensor. Every time its dark enough, by the time I open the cupboard door it is already lit. I don't even get to see the dark for even a split second. Selecting underwear is no longer a roulette style affair!

I received this product at a discount in exchange for an honest review.

Chalktastic Liquid Chalk Markers 10 Pack of Professional Quality Pens With Bright Neon Colours & Bonus 8 Chalk Labels, 6mm Reversible Fine or Chisel Tip - Massive 8gm of Ink! Use on Chalkboard, Glass, Bistro Boards
Offered by Easy Living Essentials

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful liquid chalk pens, 9 April 2016
I have recently made a chalk board for our kitchen for leaving notes and shopping lists etc. We started using just normal chalk but I saw these pens which looked really fun. I was drawn in by the variety of colours and there is something about "liquid chalk" that sounded really appealing!

The pens are really easy to use. The instructions on the side of the pen are really easy to follow. Shake upright for a few seconds, then pump the nib upwards holding the pen downwards. This allows the liquid chalk to fill into the nib. A little bit messy but I used a paper towel to do this. Unfortunately if you store your pens back in the pouch, then you will need to pump the nib every time, which involves a bit of mess....the main reason for not being 5 stars.

The colours are great and really vibrant. I have been experimenting just doodling on the board, it's really good fun. Now that the novelty is wearing off, I am just sticking to red as it's very noticeable but the other colours are great too. As we have a black chalk board, I have not yet been able to try the black pen, but I'm sure it's great too!

Another downside is that they are much harder to clean off than normal chalk. Once it's dries properly, which doesn't take long, it definitely needs to be washed off. Particularly hard to just wash off a small amount, much easier to just wipe the whole board. The nibs are reversible with one being a standard ball point, the other a flat edge like a calligraphy pen. Both work well. I really have had fun with these and continue to use them daily.

I received this product at a discount in exchange for an honest review.

HOBBYTIGER SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Digital Li-po NiMH NiCd 3S RC Battery Balance Charger + 4 Plug(2 T Plug + 2 XT60 Plug)
Offered by TUPOD

5.0 out of 5 stars High tech battery charger, 11 Mar. 2016
This is no simple “battery charger” if thats what you were looking for. This is a pro piece of kit designed for the informed user who needs to control aspects of charging. Other chargers may be plug and play, on or off....not so here.

I have a few RC Helicopters that I have been flying for a few years now. There is nothing more annoying than when a battery runs out, especially if I know it should have lasted longer. Battery power is the biggest restriction on RC use these days as even with great Li-ion cell batteries the draw is heavy. For this reason I like to make sure that my batteries are always kept in optimum condition.

The SKYRC B6AC uses balance charging which is lay terms means that is maximises the capacity of a battery pack with multiple cells in series to make all of its energy available for use and increase the battery's longevity. I use Li-ion (Lithium Ion) batteries in my RC Helicopters which have separate cells within the unit. The overall charge of the unit depends on the lowest charge of any of the cells. Balance charging ensures that all cells are topped up to the set voltage in a safe and regulated manner. There is even a function called “re-peak” which will peak the charge once, twice or three times to make certain that the battery is fully charged.

The SKYRC B6AC supports many uses and battery types, many of which I don't use and cannot test since I don't have a range of batteries. Supplied with the unit are a variety of cables which connect to the standard output cable allowing a range of batteries to be easily connected. The “balance socket” has terminals for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 cell batteries. In my experience these are fairly standard as mine have always fit.

The manual is reasonably well written, certainly not the best English I've read and needs a bit of attention but does seem to be quite thorough. I would imagine that if you have a genuine need for this item then you will have an understanding of what you need it for and the manual should be a good guide.

This is a well made, sturdy piece of kit. It has many functions and can take a little while to get the hang of but is great at doing what it does.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2017 11:14 AM BST

Simon & Tom Yoffee Clear - Premium Fungal Nail Treatment. Suitable for Finger and Toe Nails. With Tea Tree and Argan oil. 10ml
Offered by Beauty Solutions Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fungal nail treatment....don't expect instant results, 20 Feb. 2016
I ordered this product for my mum who has quite a bad fungal nail infection on 4 nails on her foot. After arguing with her for a while as this was apparently "not a problem", I finally resorted to ordering this and delivering it right to her house!

My mum starting using the nail treatment right away, applying it 3 times daily as recommended. By the end of the first bottle, there does seem to be a little bit of improvement. The new nail growth is definitely clearer and more healthy looking. My mum is now on to her second bottle and applying regularly.

There is a little brush in the cap to apply the liquid directly onto the nail. The only criticism is that the liquid is a bit too runny, if it were more viscous it would be easier to stop so much running off. There liquid smells mildly like nail varnish but it is not that pungent.

Don't expect results overnight. I have read up on the NHS website about this condition and there is no way to save infected nail, it is only new nail growth that will become healthy. This means that it will take as long as it takes for new nail to grow. Definitely appears to be a good product and seems to work well.

33cm x 24cm White Picture Frame with Glass Front - Made to Display Pictures 30cm x 21cm with Mat and 33cm x 24cm without Mat - Hanging Hardware Included

5.0 out of 5 stars A good picture frame, 11 Feb. 2016
This really is a fine picture frame, if you read no further then at least know you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, its not going to change your life, but a worthwhile investment to get some photos on the wall in this digital age.

The frame feels solid, well built and good quality. This frame is only designed to be wall mounted as there is no rear stand, not that I expected one with a frame of this size . There are two metal clips that fix on to either side of hard backing, the sides chosen depends on whether you wish your frame to hang landscape or portrait. A metal wire provided connects the two metal clips and provides the wall fixing. I mounted the frame on the wall with a double nail picture hook to ensure it had a strong enough fixing for the size of the frame.

The frame comes with a mount inside the frame which makes the display size 30cm x 21cm (12” x 8”). Or 33cm x 24cm if you want your picture to go to the frame edge with no mount. I've ordered a few different sizes of these frames and they really look excellent mounted on the wall.

Comment Comment | Permalink

18cm x 24cm White Picture Frame with Glass Front - Made to Display Pictures 13cm x 18cm with Mat and 18cm x 24cm without Mat - Hanging Hardware Included

5.0 out of 5 stars A great picture frame, 11 Feb. 2016

The frame feels solid, well built and good quality. The frame can be wall mounted or can be propped up by the stand on the back. The frame can be used in either landscape or portrait, both wall mounted and on the stand. The hard backing has a metal clip that can be moved to whichever side you want to be at the top for wall mounting. The frame is light enough that I only used a single nail with a picture hook for fixing it to the wall, however I did get a good bite into the wall.

The frame comes with a mount inside the frame which makes the display size 13cm x 18cm (5” x 7”). Or 18cm x 24cm if you want your picture to go to the frame edge with no mount. I've ordered a few different sizes of these frames and they really look excellent mounted on the wall.

One tip: When wall mounting, turn the frame upside down so that the swing stand opens at the top. If the stand opens at the bottom it pushes the frame away from the wall as it doesn't sit flush. Not an issue really, I just had to switch the photo around.

Comment Comment | Permalink

13x18cm White Table Top Picture Frame with Glass Front - Made to Display Pictures Sized 10cm x 15cm with Mat - Hanging Hardware Included

5.0 out of 5 stars A great frame, 11 Feb. 2016

The frame feels solid, well built and good quality. The frame can be wall mounted or can be propped up by the stand on the back. The frame can be used in either landscape or portrait, both wall mounted and on the stand. The hard backing has a metal clip that can be moved to whichever side you want to be at the top for wall mounting. The frame is light enough that I only used a single nail from a picture hook for fixing it to the wall, however I did get a good bite into the wall.

The frame comes with a mount inside the frame which makes the display size 10cm x 15cm (4” x 6”). Or 13cm x 18cm if you want your picture to go to the frame edge with no mount. I've ordered a few different sizes of these frames and they really look excellent mounted on the wall.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10