Profile for lordy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Wish Me from the Water
Wish Me from the Water

1.0 out of 5 stars Free for a reason., 17 Mar. 2014
There is no such thing as a bargain. This book is badly written & badly edited. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I could not finish it as the poor writing detracted too much from a potentially promising storyline and I had to admit defeat. I think that this may be one of only 2 books which I have not been able to finish in the last 10 years so I don't give in lightly!

OFFICE RETAIL MOTION SENSOR DOOR VISITOR CHIME BELL
OFFICE RETAIL MOTION SENSOR DOOR VISITOR CHIME BELL
Offered by Electromart-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too sensitive., 1 Mar. 2014
This just goes off constantly & is very loud & annoying. If you have any form of traffic passing it's hopeless but on a quiet back door it would probably be ok.

Samsung SCX-4729FW A4 Mono Laser Multifunction Wireless Printer
Samsung SCX-4729FW A4 Mono Laser Multifunction Wireless Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Constant paper jams, 19 Feb. 2014
I bought this for my business & was very disappointed. Constant paper jams, expensive to run & eats it's way through ink cartridges at speed. Also, description does not make clear that scanning is not double sided.

Stalkers (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 1)
Stalkers (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just does not work, 20 May 2013
I gave this 2 stars because I managed to finish it but it really doesn't work. The writing style is quite stilted & child-like & some of it makes no sense at all. Women are disposable & the hero is literally bulletproof. The story is inconsistent & the detail is poorly thought out. As a random example, the 'Mr Big' criminal mastermind is at one point putting suitcases into his Citroen C2. OK, no cliched Jags or Beamers - but a compact city car for the evil genius? Also, it's virtually impossible to fit a suitcase into a C2 - let alone suitcases. There are many such inconsistencies throughout this book, nothing is explained, demonstrated or substantiated properly and the ending.....what ending? I'm surprised by all the good reviews - when reading this I just felt like I was trapped in a bad video game (now swim, now jump, now climb, fight some baddies etc). This book is not for me.

Watch Over Me
Watch Over Me

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, very annoying., 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Watch Over Me (Kindle Edition)
Annoying, pathetic, whiny 'heroine'; annoying stereotypical handsome hero; annoying sickly sweet child; annoying twee (wee) language; more annoying sob stories than X-factor and even an annoying ghost! I really struggled to find a character that I didn't find annoying & failed! Oh, and guess the ending......which is annoyingly obvious!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 11:10 AM BST

The Expats
The Expats

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. Readable., 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
This is not a bad book & the premise is Ok. My main criticism is that the flitting back and forth between Paris and Luxembourg is unnecessary & actually just detracts from the main plot as you have to keep checking where you are in the story - especially if you have to put the book down for more than 2 minutes! Also, I thought that Kate came across as more desperate housewife than CIA stalwart. Overall, I did enjoy the storyline - but it could have been a hell of a lot better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 9:06 PM GMT

First and Only: A psychological thriller
First and Only: A psychological thriller
by Peter Flannery

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clever, 31 Oct. 2012
This is a very thoughtful & enjoyable piece of writing. I didn't expect to be impressed - but I was. There were a couple of sections that didn't quite work, but for the most part, I thought that the characters were well observed & the plot was thoroughly gripping. I shall look forward to more from this author.

Ash
Ash

1.0 out of 5 stars Oi James Herbert! What did you do that for?, 10 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Ash (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I really don't know quite what to say. I've been a huge fan of James Herbert's classic, gripping British horror stories over the years. So, I really can't understand what has gone so horribly wrong with this one. Did he need to make an urgent large purchase so needed some fast cash? Maybe he was smoking some illegal stuff or had one too many...... I hope it was something like that rather than thinking that he could just get away with palming us off on this load of crap!

The story is childish, dull & at several points just plain stupid with a simpering sickly romance chucked in for good measure! Funniest bit for me was "Oooh darling, I had an absoutely terrible lesbian experience which scarred me for life - let me tell you all about my shame in detail as you comfort me" (I paraphrase but yes, it really is that bad!) I remember thinking at one point, 'Oh great, now all we need is an appearance from Lord Lucan & Princes Diana' and lo & behold...... We could also do without the political & social comment thank you!

Anyway, a real stinker. I wondered why it was only 20p. But I still felt robbed!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2012 9:11 PM BST

Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in
Fifty Shades of Grey: Movie Tie-in

1.0 out of 5 stars smirking, eye-rolling & lip-biting!!!, 19 Jun. 2012
Don't go there - once I started counting how many 'smirks' there were on every page I literally lost the plot!

Snatched
Snatched
by Mandasue Heller

2.0 out of 5 stars stilted, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
I wasn't overly impressed with this. The characters don't seem very real & their actions or, more tellingly lack of actions & reactions just don't sit right somehow. As well as this, I found it very difficult to lose myself in the plot because I was too aware of the stilted prose. I found that I was too busy looking out for characters who "said coolly", "said evenlly", "laughed softly" or had "eyes dark wih fear" - you will see what I mean if you choose to read it! Ultimately, the book is readable, but it seems to be semi-screenplay....perhaps that's exactly what the author had in mind!

Also, what's with the brick - have I missed something? Did I doze off? Any ideas?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2014 12:16 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2