Profile for gsqj > Reviews

Content by gsqj

gsqj

Page: 1 | 2
Divenire (Special Edition, BONUS DISC: 3 Brand New Remixes)
Divenire (Special Edition, BONUS DISC: 3 Brand New Remixes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Divenire, 12 July 2013
I bought this because the first track was played at the end of a t.v. programme and I loved it. The rest of the album is not quite so appealing but is pretty solid. The sounds are original and not what you expect on an instrumental album.

Bosch TDA5620GB Power II Steam Iron, 2800 W - Black
Bosch TDA5620GB Power II Steam Iron, 2800 W - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Iron, 24 Feb. 2013
This is a high-quality product. It is strongly built (just as well, since I sometimes drop irons), is of a decently large size and heats up quickly. It has a good long lead, too, which makes for convenient use. The only disadvantage is that it uses its reservoir of water up very quickly, compared to other steam irons - make sure you have reserves of de-ionised water!

Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo]
Satie: Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, Piano Works [Virgo]

5.0 out of 5 stars Erik Satie, 24 Feb. 2013
Tremendous: I'd never heard of Satie before and I love his piano arrangements - really original and haunting. I'm looking for more.

Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf / Saint-Saens: Carnival of the Animals
Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf / Saint-Saens: Carnival of the Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Prokofiev and Saint-Saens, 24 Feb. 2013
Great: this takes me back to my childhood and the thrill of being scared by the thought of the wolf chasing Peter. And all's well that ends well.

Chopin: Nocturnes
Chopin: Nocturnes
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Nocturnes by Chopin, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Chopin: Nocturnes (Audio CD)
Not so good as I thought they would be, but they might grow on me. A bit samey and not a lot of melody.

A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector
A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Christmas album ever, 11 Jan. 2013
Well, that's what I think and have always thought. It's meant so much to me for nearly fifty years: it's an essential part of my Christmases. Phil Spector's Wall Of Sound, Darlene Love and Bob B. Sox's glorious voices just bring tears to my eyes every time I listen. I've bought hundreds of albums and this one is always in my top ten.

Toshiba PA4251E-1HJ0 STOR.E STEEL S 2.5 inch External Hard Drive 1TB - Black
Toshiba PA4251E-1HJ0 STOR.E STEEL S 2.5 inch External Hard Drive 1TB - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba External Hard Drive, 3 Sept. 2012
This is a well-made product and feels very robust. It has masses of space and should last me for ever. My only criticism is that, contrary to what is stated in the instructions, it does need to be formatted - I wondered why my computer, and others, wouldn't accept it, even though it was supposed to be formatted for XP and Windows 7. Once that's done, however, the hard drive works well.

Timex Ironman 50 LAP Men's Digital Quartz Sports Watch with Grey Resin Strap - T5K157 SU

4.0 out of 5 stars One Ironman Amongst Many, 12 Dec. 2011
I bought this watch to replace my old and much-loved Casio - I'm a runner and need to have a watch that can give me a countdown timer for interval sessions. The Ironman range is so huge I had great trouble in picking the one I wanted and in fact chose the wrong one, because I wanted two countdown timers, which this hasn't got. Still, it has some advantages over the old Casio - the countdown can be set to seconds, not just minutes; the illumination is much better and the numbers are clearer. The countdown alarm is not very loud, however, and can easily be drowned out by traffic etc. and I haven't yet got used to the different organisation of the various functions. It looks good and the strap is comfortable. I'll still keep the Casio, though, for the timer!

All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
by Max Hastings

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell Well Described, 12 Dec. 2011
Max Hastings's colossal knowledge of WW2 is on display here in this comprehensive volume. At this point in history we can draw definitive conclusions about the conflict, and the author backs his up with undeniable statistics, along with eye-witness testimonies. Because the theme is so immense, some events are summed up briefly and students should look elsewhere for detailed descriptions, but Max Hastings always makes a telling comment about every incident he mentions. Don't expect eulogies of Britain's performance - there are several very uncomfortable home truths to swallow.

Panic Of Girls
Panic Of Girls
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Back On Track, 8 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Panic Of Girls (Audio CD)
Blondie have achieved something quite difficult - they've made an album that's just as good as any they came up with in the past. This one hasn't one weak track and all stick in the mind for different reasons - I played it four times non-stop, which is very unusual for me. Debbie's on top form all the way through and the whole album has the feel of Blondie's 80s records, with reggae rhythms quite prominent on some tracks. Their best album for many years, I think.

Page: 1 | 2