Profile for Books2read > Reviews

Destination Spanish with Paul Noble
Destination Spanish with Paul Noble
by Paul Noble
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars SO easy to learn!!! The only way I have learnt Spanish properly, 8 April 2014
I have wanted to learn a language for a long time, but found it difficult to find something that 'worked' for me. I gave this a go based on the reviews, although I was still skeptical as to its effectiveness. I was AMAZED by how much I picked up after listening to the CD for no more than 10 minutes. Whilst I have not yet finished the CDs, if they continue as they are, then I am confident that this is money well spent. Paul goes over previous track topics in new tracks, which allows you to build on what you know and remember what you have learnt. My only concern is that by the end I will want to learn more - obviously not everything in the world in covered in the 2 CDs - but this is in no way a criticism of the product. Many people have referred to this as 'travel Spanish.' While a lot of the phrases relate to booking a table, ordering food etc, you still learn about words such as 'but' and 'with' etc, which allow you to structure key sentences in any context. I would say that this is a CD for beginners, as I knew very very little Spanish when I started this, (only the odd word), so it is perhaps not for the more advanced speaker. I cannot speak more highly of this product.

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
by Stephen Grosz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for people interested in how the mind works, 3 April 2014
This book is not challenging to read and it took me no longer than 2 days to get through, an hour or so here and there each day.

It does, however, feed the interest in the mind, how it works and why we think the way we do. I am fascinated with this sort of thing, and although skeptical about psychoanalysis generally, this book really did explain why x, y and z means what it does. And it makes sense. It made me question why I think the way I do, and why other people behae how I do. The chapters are short and each one makes a different point about a different thought process.

I would not recommend this book to someone who is not interested in this kind of topic, as there is no story to the book at all. It is simply snippets of sessions with various patients, and there is no development in that sense, or characterisation.

As a book on psychoanalysis, and not a 'story-telling' book, it is really a great read.

A Captain's Duty
A Captain's Duty
by Richard Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the film..., 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
Bit of a boring read in parts and nothing on the film, which is raely my opinion when a book is done on screen.

THOMAS'S GAME: Mens or boys stocking filler / fillers for men or boy called THOMAS, TOMMY or TOM (also a fab secret santa or fun birthday or christmas party present or special original xmas gift for the man who has everything !)
Offered by Unbeatable Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 5 Mar. 2014
This game is more interesting than it sounds! Can be played with 2 people but is better with more than 2. It's a relatively speedy game which can be played multiple times. The Thomas aspect has no bearing on the actual game but is a nice aspect to the gae when giving it as a gift.

I Love Dachshund Mens Black Socks
I Love Dachshund Mens Black Socks
Offered by Rushjets (inflightgoods)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin...not for the largest feet though!, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: I Love Dachshund Mens Black Socks
Not sure what size these actually are, would fit most feet but I found them a little on the tight size.

Call the midwife: A True Story Of the East End in the 1950s
Call the midwife: A True Story Of the East End in the 1950s
by Jennifer Worth

2.0 out of 5 stars Topic bored me - if you are interested in midwifery go for it!, 5 Mar. 2014
I think the problem with this book was that the topic itself has no real development or ability to engage with the reader. I skipped many pages and found that each chapter was the same old - the narrator complaining about the job she had to now and now and then appreciating it. So what??? Is all I have to say to that.

It did give an indication of what life was like as a midwife in that specific time period, and that was interesting, but hardly in depth.

It's possible I didn't enjoy it because after a few chapters, the topic bored me. If you;re extremely into mindwife-based incidents then you will probably enjoy it. Writing style average.

Hard Time: A Brit in America's Toughest Jail
Hard Time: A Brit in America's Toughest Jail
by Shaun Attwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost interest mid way through, 23 Oct. 2013
Although the storyline is of interest, I found it difficult to really engage with the writer. Instead I would go for Maching Powder (same topic), and when I compared to that bok which I thought was great, I struggled to get into this one.

Ohropax Earplugs Soft
Ohropax Earplugs Soft
Offered by Gehörschutz-Versand

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the job, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ohropax Earplugs Soft
Good product that did the job as best it could. Would definitely block out slight noise, anything moving towards a shout, then not so effective. Would definitely work in a library or quiet cafe.

Butterfly On A Wheel [DVD]
Butterfly On A Wheel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pierce Brosnan

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price and great movie, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Butterfly On A Wheel [DVD] (DVD)
This movie really gets you thinking, it really engages with you and makes you replay it after it has finished. Cheaper than in any shops I could find and arrived quickly with Prime.

Engage: The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson
Engage: The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson
by Paul Kimmage

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the subject matter, then a fascinating read, 23 Oct. 2013
Really enjoyed this book because of the subject matter. It gave an insight into Matt's life and career as a rugby player and now what he does and how he coped following the accident. Honest and engaging read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4