Profile for Marcia > Reviews

Content by Marcia
Top Reviewer Ranking: 94

Marcia "marcia" (england)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blended [DVD] [2014]
Blended [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, Funny, good fun and with audio description for visually impaired, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Blended [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Although not all films with Adam Sandler are great, this one is worth a look. I enjoyed it very much. I am not going to give away too much of the plot but if you think of other Adam Sandler films you get the same familiarity, There is good funny moments and romance.
Two people looking for a partner don’t hit it off first time but then are thrown together along with both of their families of kids and chaos, humour and feel good moments erupt as they work things out.
A lot of the film is set on a holiday in Africa and the film does have a great originality with this theme. There are some great wacky moments and good scenery moments.

As someone who is visually impaired. I have to say full marks to those involved in making this DVD have audio description. This helped me to enjoy the film so much and I much appreciate this feature. Sadly it is not the standard feature on DVDs that it should be these days so this is an excellent product to have such a feature.
In fact this is not the greatest Adam Sandler Movie and I might be tempted to reduce a star rating for it but since as a product it has audio description and I enjoyed it I give it full star rating.

All Is Lost [DVD] [2013]
All Is Lost [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film with audio description option for visually impaired., 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: All Is Lost [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I enjoyed this movie greatly. The film has a basic plot but it is handled very well indeed. There is only one actor in the whole film and that is Robert Redford. And he only says really one word,
But this thriller is excellently acted and directed.
In many ways this film is old fashioned in its style and delivery and many people may find the action a bit lame in a world of fast paced action packed, CGI thilling epics. But it does offer a good tense story and there is clever direction as we get to know the character and is dilemma.
The basic plot has our character trying to survive after his Yacht is destroyed on the ocean. It is a film about survival.
Robert Redford is excellent. Don’t expect a film that pushes the boundaries of originality. But do expect a good movie with good old fashioned action and drama with edge of the seat moments of survival.
As someone who is visually impaired I have to say full marks to the people involved in bringing a product with audio description as this is not as standard as it should be these days. Here ion this movie there is audio description and it added to my enjoyment greatly. The film also has subtitles for the hard of hearing. Both are just options but it is good that anyone can stand a chance of enjoying this movie. Easily worth the money.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty [DVD] [2013]
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller

4.0 out of 5 stars Good re working of a classic movie. No audio description for visually impaired though, 23 Feb. 2015
Often when an old film or idea gets a new revamp it can be less than satisfactory. Sometimes it can be a complete disaster.
Not a problem though here on this version of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Ben Stiller directs and stars in a fairly good new re working of the idea.
I did not find this film as good as I expected but it is enjoyable. I probably just expected too much after the media hype when the film came out. But then again it is not as bad as some have made out,
The film is very little like the original Danny Kaye film of the same name other than that the basic idea is the same.
Back on the original film with Danny Kaye I feel the character Walter Mitty has a warm and likeable personality and Danny Kaye gave us a character that I could warm to and feel instant connection to.
Here the Ben Stiller version is not quite so loveable.
But that is only a small gripe. In both films the character Walter Mitty escapes the mundane moments of life within his imagination often offering up more bizarre and interesting versions than reality. He gradually learns that if we try we can find or make our own exciting moments.
Now in this version the daydreams are bigger and the clever CGI special effects offer a grander spectacle and way out version of alternative reality escape. And the way that the character develops and deals with life is much different to the original Danny Kaye version.
So although I prefer the performance in the Danny Kaye characterisation I am pleased to say that this film does stand up in its own right as a film separate from the original. That is the best way to look at this and it will not matter anyway to anyone who has not seen the original. The characterisation does stand up here, its just that I have seen both versions now and prefer the Danny Kaye characterisation. But that is not to say that this version is bad. Far from it is just different. The film has almost an originality of its own. It is worth seeing at least once and is of high standard.
I did feel the film was a little over long but I enjoyed its light hearted side and its thought provoking sense of achievement that the character experiences.
There are some excellent scenes with great photography as the character travels the world. And there are some excellent moments and thrills in the film. It has a bigger budget film feel about it that is superior to the original and there are some good comedy moments and romance to seal a reasonably good movie.
As I am visually impaired and there was no audio description on this product I cannot give it maximum stars but I am sure it will be good for other sighted people.

Jersey Boys [DVD] [2014]
Jersey Boys [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Christopher Walken

5.0 out of 5 stars Good movie. Great production. Excellent release that caters for many people and includes Audio Description and subtitles, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Jersey Boys [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I really did enjoy this movie. It is a bit over long but it is still a good movie. The story of the family life of Frankie Valli, the formation of the Four Seasons and their joint rise to fame along with the great hit songs are depicted here in this very good film.
The film has been directed by Clint Eastwood and the production is excellent. The acting is great, The sound and direction are all spot on too, It's a good story going from nothing to international fame.
In many places the film is quite raw. Rough neighbourhood, breaking the law and bad language. But it adds to the feeling of reality and the struggle to become successful. All the big hit songs are represented here in recreated performances and the period detail is great viewing.
The film is a bit over long as I say and I feel it could have been shorter on the scenes of tension and disharmony in the group. However the music makes up for it and the acting and singing are all excellent.

There have been many reviews already. So on to something I don't think other reviewers have touched on. I just want to add that this DVD also has good features that were invaluable to my family and I. There is the fairly standard subtitles for the hard of hearing which was great for my Mom who is almost deaf. But this product had the not so standard feature of having Audio Description for visually impaired people. This was a major advantage to me since I am visually impaired blind. I really appreciated this. Most DVD companies don't bother with this feature. Goodness knows why. Instead of wasting money on daft extra features It would be helpful to spend money making a product accessible to all potential customers. This DVD has multi language including subtitles for hard of hearing and Audio description. There is even a brief extra feature. Well done to those that worked on this release. It is rare to find all of these features on one DVD product.

Good film release all round and it is definitely worth watching.

L'Oiseau: The Baroque Era (Lyre Edition)
L'Oiseau: The Baroque Era (Lyre Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars First class box set of treasured L'Oiseau label classic recordings, 11 Feb. 2015
Buying CDs can be an expensive business and this box set appears to be a lot to pay out in one go. But when you think about what you are getting it just works out as an absolute bargain of treasure.
Yes this is true treasure. Some of the greatest recordings on authentic instruments of all time.
The Box set includes 50 discs, If you were to pay for the discs individually it would cost far, far more.

The whole set is magnificent. The box is nicely presented as a cube shape design with great art work. There is a hinge lid that opens to reveal the 50 discs and one thick booklet full of information and pictures. Each album is housed in a card sleeve with the original art work LP cover on it. Some albums are double albums so this accounts for the 50 discs.

For me there were albums I already had in traditional CD jewel cases that I have duplicated here. But then they take up far less room in their card sleeves here in this box set and on my storage shelving. Then there are a whole load of other titles that I previously did not have. Most are now next to impossible to get on CD any other way. And these discs easily pay for themselves and the repeats,

The choices for the set are excellent too. The compilers have put together an excellent representation of the Baroque era through recordings from L'Oiseau label. It highlights the era with well known composers and less well known composers,
The Academy of Ancient Music have always been a favourite of mine. They always look for the earliest manuscripts of scores and often provide an alternative to the standard recognised versions of famous compositions and always on authentic instruments and period performances,

I have nothing but praise for this elegant set and look forward to the next planned sets Classical Era and Medieval & Renaissance.

Mr Selfridge - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2015]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great period drama box set series one to three but little use to visually impaired., 9 Feb. 2015
I really do love this series. The series is brilliantly cast and there is very believable atmosphere and costumes. The writing and production, locations, production as well as the acting are all excellent.

The series takes us through the true life story of Harry Selfridge and his business empire. The attention to period detail and the great characterisation together with solid plot lines is excellent viewing, Anyone who likes period costume dramas will like this,
Without giving too much away I will say series one takes us through the exciting birth of the selfridge store and the enthusiasm Harry Selfridge brings to Edwardian London. We meet his family and the people that work for him. we are taken on a ride of emotion, intrigue and love. There is a bad guy, arch enemy Lord Loxley. Through series two we see Harry and the other characters affected by World War one. Harry gets into trouble with Loxley that almost wrecks the business and Wife Rose became very ill that effects the events in series three. His daughter gets married into a money grabbing family and Lord Loxley is still around to make life for Harry a hard one.

Now I am writing this review before the end of series three is released on DVD as a set one to three box set, based on seeing the first three episodes of series three as transmitted on TV. and of course the previous series one and two on TV and DVD. The reason for doing this is that the DVD set for series three will have the same fault as the sets for series one and two.

This is an outstanding production. And deserves much praise. And if you are fully sighted then this wont affect you. But....
This DVD set would be one to get and to watch over and over. I would like to get it but the DVD is a disappointment to me and people like me,

I am writing this review because I have an issue with what is the DVD release. . I do have one criticism and it is a big issue for me. When the series was transmitted on TV it had Audio Description on it. Something that is invaluable for people who are partially sighted or Blind. Here on these DVD releases there is no Audio Description mentioned for its issue on DVD. The deaf and hard of hearing have been catered for with subtitles which has almost become the norm for DVD releases.

But the visually impaired are being left behind with many companies neglecting to include Audio Description. The Subtitles were on the transmitted version and so was the Audio Description. But here there are subtitles but no Audio Description,

There is little excuse for this. This programme has been very successful so it cannot be down to cost. Come on DVD manufacturers include the Audio Description. Someone went to the trouble of making Audio Description for the TV transmission, so why not include it here.

So yes my review may only interest those that it will affect, the visually impaired. I am disappointed that since I am visually impaired there will be no audio description on this release. So if it affects you too then think twice. If you saw it on TV just live with the memory of it but be deprived of seeing it again with audio description. That seems to be the message and if you didn't get to see it on TV and are visually impaired then tough luck they don't care.

A great programme but one less star rating on this release for not bothering to help visually impaired when the production company did use audio description when used on TV. No excuse is acceptable. Its 2015 not the 1970s its time they go it right.

Mr Selfridge - Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Mr Selfridge - Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great period drama series three but of little use to visually impaired people, 9 Feb. 2015

The series continues the true life story of Harry Selfridge and his business empire. The attention to period detail and the great characterisation together with solid plot lines is excellent viewing, Anyone who likes period costume dramas will like this,
Series three is as good as series one and two. Without giving too much away I will say that it takes us through the life for Harry after His Wife became so ill at the end of series two, Harry makes emotive decisions that may cause serious problems for his business and his family. His daughter gets married into a money grabbing family and Lord Loxley is still around to make life for Harry a hard one. There is exploration of how difficult it was for returning soldiers from the great war with no jobs and shell shock, and the women that had worked and now were no longer needed.

Now I am writing this review before the series is released on DVD, based on seeing the first three episodes as transmitted on TV. The reason for doing this is that the DVD set for series three will have the same fault as the sets for series one and two.

This is an outstanding production. And deserves much praise.

I am writing this review after seeing a number of episodes as transmitted on TV and then the DVD set.
I am doing so because I have an issue with what is the DVD release. . I do have one criticism and it is a big issue for me. When the series was transmitted on TV it had Audio Description on it. Something that is invaluable for people who are partially sighted or Blind. Here on these DVD releases there is no Audio Description mentioned for its issue on DVD. The deaf and hard of hearing have been catered for with subtitles which has almost become the norm for DVD releases.

Mr Selfridge - Series 2 [DVD]
Mr Selfridge - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

4.0 out of 5 stars Great period drama but DVD is little use to visually impaired people, 9 Feb. 2015

Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent period drama but DVD little use to visually impaired people., 9 Feb. 2015

Wolf Hall [DVD]
Wolf Hall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Great programme but DVD will be a let down for Visually impaired with no Audio Description., 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Wolf Hall [DVD] (DVD)
This series that is based on the novels by Hilary Mantel follows the life of Thomas Cromwell working for King Henry VIII.
All of the expected intrigue, political wrangles and tensions with Ann Boleyn during times of the protestant reformation are here.
This is an outstanding production. And deserves much praise. It has a more realistic feel to it than the TV series The Tudors with its glossy production.
This DVD set would be one to get and to watch over and over.

I am writing this review after seeing a number of episodes as transmitted on TV and admittedly before the DVD set has been released.
I am doing so because I have an issue with what will be the DVD release based on all of the press information that has been issued prior to its release. I do have one criticism and it is a big issue for me. When the series was transmitted on TV it had Audio Description on it. Something that is invaluable for people who are partially sighted or Blind. Here on these DVD releases there is no Audio Description mentioned for its issue on DVD. The deaf and hard of hearing have been catered for with subtitles which has almost become the norm for DVD releases.

So yes I have written this review before its release and my review may only interest those that it will affect, the visually impaired. I am disappointed that since I am visually impaired there will be no audio description on this release. So if it affects you too then think twice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20