Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 813

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Finding True Happiness by Fulton Sheen (2013-07-15)
Finding True Happiness by Fulton Sheen (2013-07-15)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 18 Nov. 2016
This book is a very important collection in this day and age. And thought it was not written as a specific book by Fulton Sheen, for it is a compilation taken four separate books by Sheen. It is drawn from Walk With God, Way to Happiness, Way to Inner Peace, and You. Now I have known the name Fulton Sheen for many years, but for some reason or another, other than excerpts in anthologies it was only this year that I started reading his books. It really is a deep regret that I did not try reading his books earlier, for at the moment I have about 5 of them in my to be read pile. In the introduction Trent Beattie, writes about the power that Sheen's writings had on his life and the reasons he made this compilation. Beattie states: "The first was to let go of the idea that happiness is to be found in things outside oneself. Happiness does not depend on accumulating more things, but on the mindset we have concerning the things we already do possess. Happiness does not consist in having more, but in appreciating more. As Sheen wrote, "It is not so much what happens in your life that matters; it is rather how you react to it."" And the rest of the book expands upon those ideas.

I had a discussion about this book with a friend. He wanted me to summarize the book. I started that true happiness is found if being content with what you have, but working towards become the best version of yourself. Not comparing ourselves to others, not comparing our possessions, bank accounts … but comparing ourselves to who we were yesterday and the day before and the day before that. The book helps us really look at where we put our hope and our joy the book helps us learn to focus on personal growth. The focus in not on the external but on the internal.

1. Finding Perfect Happiness
13. Patience
14. Contentment
15. Joy
16. The Will: The Secret of Sanctity

There are a few factors that make this an amazing book. First it is so accessible. It is not a massive theological treatise, it is written in language that is easy to comprehend and it is written in a very engaging and personable manner. Also at the end of each chapter is an offer, most are a book that will go deeper into the theme of that chapter. One of the offers is for 6 copies of this book for just $18 plus shipping and handling, so you can pass it on to others. Of the books recommended I have read half and had 2 of the others already in my to be read list. And of course this book has motivated me to read even more Sheen and sooner rather than later.

This book is an amazing read. And with the length I know I will be going back and reading it again. The message is so important, and to be honest in this day and age needed even more than ever before. How many people in this day and age look for fulfillment, and happiness, in things, possessions, in other people? When in reality as Sheen shows us throughout this book, I happiness needs to come from our relationship with God, our personal growth and how we respond to things and situations, not in the things and situations themselves.

I know a dozen people without even giving it a thought that could greatly benefit from reading this book based on their current life situation. It is an excellent read that I highly recommend.

Finding True Happiness

13. Patience
14. Contentment
15. Joy
16. The Will: The Secret of Sanctity

Alexander's Army (Ufiles #2)
Alexander's Army (Ufiles #2)
by Chris D'Lacey

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book and series, 17 Nov. 2016
I have read over 20 books by Chris d'Lacey in the last 13 months. To say I am a fan would be an understatement, I have been working on tracking down all books he wrote and contributed to so I can have reviews of his whole canon. Almost three quarters of those are rated at 5/5 stars. And only 1 falls below 4 stars. The amazing diversity in d'Lacey's writing surprises me with each new book I read. And this book, the second in a trilogy is another amazing offering. This series, the Unicorne Files or UFiles trilogy is very different from anything else I have read by d'lacey. It is a little darker, and a little grittier, and more on the speculative fiction side. In some ways it reminds me of Frank Herbert's non-Dune books, like The Eyes of Heisenberg or The Green Brain. It has that feel of some classic science fiction like Herbert or Alfred Bester. But with the Young adult focus could have a wider audience.

This book continues with themes of the multiverse, and Michael's ability to shift through realities by making changes. The theme of death as just another reality has some new and very dark twists. But this book has a much more sinister feel to it. Michael is up against an unknown enemy. An enemy who has abilities that are different than Michael's but they might be much more powerful. And Soon Michael and his foe are locked in a battle.

Michael is still questing for answers to what happened to his father. Michael begins to have greater conflict with the Unirorne Corporation, to the point that his trust in them is at an all-time low. And the mystery of the crows and their link to Freya's spirit. Michael seems to be growing further and further from his Mother as he has so many secrets to keep, and to tory and not worry her.

This book races forward. Once you start reading it you will just not want to put it down. And to be honest you better have volume three on hand because you will really want to know where things go next.

This was another wonderful read from Chris d'Lacey. I highly recommend this book, the series and to be honest anything written by d'Lacey!

(Note: My apologies for the short review but I want to get reading the final book in the trilogy!)

The Unicorne Files 2: Alexander's Army
The Unicorne Files 2: Alexander's Army

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book and series, 17 Nov. 2016

Bleeding Blue: Giving My All for the Game
Bleeding Blue: Giving My All for the Game

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest, gritty and worthwhile read!, 14 Nov. 2016
To be honest I have never been a Toronto Maple Leaf’s Fan! That being said I have always appreciated the play and leadership of Wendel Clark. I always enjoyed watching him play. And to be honest I think the biggest mistake Toronto has made in my lifetime was trading Clark the first time to give Gilmour the ‘C’! But that is jumping ahead a bit. In many ways this book is like Clark’s NHL Career, it is tightly written and written from the heart. I remember hearing rumour about an addendum to NHL rule 56 that is the hands were taped and you fought you got an extra game misconduct. When I was a kid we were told this was the Clark rule. I can remember him dropping the gloves and having his hands taped like a boxer.

I have always respected Wendel Clark, not just for his play but also his leadership and from all I had heard he was a good guy who loved what he was doing. As a man who served three different stints in Toronto, starting with being drafted by Toronto to his third time in the blue and white and retiring form the game. Clark entered the league with a bang, in the 1985-86 season he has 45 points and 227 penalty minutes in 66 games. In his final season he played 33 games and had a total 6 points and 34 penalty minutes. But I remember this older more mature Clark providing leadership on and off the ice. Clark played with 6 teams during his time in the NHL but the vast majority of that was with the Leaf’s and as such the majority of this book focuses on that time.

Chapter 1: Growing Up in Kelvington
Chapter 8: Leaving Home
Chapter 9: Journeyman Years
Chapter 10: Making an Exit
Chapter 11: Life After Hockey
Conclusion
A Tribute to My Dad

The story follows a farm boy from Kelvington to playing in the world juniors to a long career in the NHL. Clark was not a fighter growing up; it was something that just ended up coming to him until he was a junior. Before reading this I was unaware that Clark started and played on defense until he played in the world juniors. And as he states that is one of the things that gave him an advantage, he often knew what an opponent defensive player would do in ways that someone who always played forward would not. The book has lots of great stories, mostly from on the ice.

Clark is pretty open and honest with us; about his successes and his mistakes. He also shares about what the years of abuse did to his body. What it took to play so long, with the style of play he lived and with all the fights. But Clark was determined, determined to keep playing, determined to heal his body. I believe few people get to pursue their dreams the way Clark did. For him hockey appears to always have been fun. And that enjoyment of time on the ice, and after hockey come through in this great read. This is the biography of a gifted man, and a good man. It was well worth the time to read it. Even if you are not a Leaf’s fan.

The Perfect Blindside
The Perfect Blindside

4.0 out of 5 stars A good YA novel with a twist, 14 Nov. 2016
This book was my introduction to Leslea Wahl's writings. It was a good read. I enjoyed it so much that as I was approaching the end I purchased Wahl's other novel to added it to my to be read pile. This is a good clean Christian young adult novel. This book has a little bit for all readers of the genre, a young man who has become an Olympic star and instant celebrity, a shy girl from a small town, committed to school and to her church. And we have a lot of action.

The book is told in alternating point of views. Sophie, a dedicated student, amateur reporter, amazing photographer and devoted Catholic. Jake on the other hand, has just instantly become famous, from someone who was unlikely to make the team to Olympic Silver Medal in Snowboarding. He has new wheels, and his parents have moved to a small town to try and slow his rise to fame a bit. Silver Springs is not where he wants to be. So he is putting in as little effort as possible in school, just waiting until he is old enough to get out of town. But his fame has followed him to town and is interrupting everything Sophie holds dear. She might be the only girl in town not smitten with Jake.

The book opens with this thought from Jake: "I have a theory. Every person I've ever met in the past year fits into one of three categories. They're either Walkers, Talkers, or Stalkers. Walkers are those who stare from a distance, completely lacking the guts to approach me, then slowly walk away pretending they don't care.
Talkers include my parents, coach, and advisors. They have this obsessive need to always tell me what to do. Stalkers are the most common, and they all want something" but for some strange reason Sophie and Jake seem to connect. But soon things start taking a turn for the worse, first all 4 tires on Jake's jeep are slashed, and then he is found with a joint, which he swears is not his. But by now Sophie has seen another side to Jake and she wants to come to his defence.

Reading teen or young adult fiction often reminds me of what I have been through, and what I hope to help my children avoid. In this book the two main characters are very real; both have flaws, and both make mistakes. But both are also challenged by the events in the story and have the opportunity for growth. Leslea Wahl does a great job or exploring the hearts, minds and emotions of teens. She captures both someone in church who is a little judgemental, and Jake the Olympic star that is too big for this small town.

The book has great characters and really good character development. The action constantly builds as the story progresses. And the mystery adds a nice twist. The book is really well written. I had figured it out before the big reveal, but I did have a different suspect for a while. It is a great read. One of my key judgements for books is would I read it with my kids or want them to read it when they are older. And it is a big yes, I think this would be a great read for both my son and daughter in a few years.

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from Wahl in the future.

by Heinrich Theiler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 13 Nov. 2016
This book is a reprint of a book that was translated into English in 1909. I did not know that when I first picked it up. And to be honest I might have been less likely to pick it up if I had known that. But the book caught my attention and I am very thankful that I did make the choice to not only get the book but to read it. In part I picked up this book because my son started having problems going to sleep alone. A friend suggested we bless him before bed. The next day this book crossed my path and once I started reading I could barely put the book down.

6. The Use of Holy Water by the Faithful
Conclusion
Appendices
C. Prayers for Blessing Yourself with Holy Water

And is there ever a lot of information packed into the 50 pages of this book. From the first chapter of the book we are told: "Holy water has been used in the Church as it is now, through the centuries, back to the Apostles' days. It is spoken of in the Apostolic Constitutions. Pope Alexander, who died in the year 130, in his pontifical decree confirming this apostolic tradition says: "We bless salt and water for the people, that all who may be sprinkled therewith may be cleansed and sanctified."" and also "The martyr St. Justin, who died in the year 163, tells us that the faithful in his time were sprinkled in their assemblies with Holy Water every Sunday. So too we find Holy Water mentioned in St. Cyprian's writings in the third century, in the works of St. Basil in the fourth, in the writings of St. Jerome in the fifth, and by St. Gregory the Great in the sixth century." So many great saints of old wrote about the importance of this Sacramental.

But what is a sacramental, Theiler defines it for us as: "Holy water is one of the sacramentals, which are things made sacred by rites of the Church in the manner of Christ. In the Catholic Church we have sacrament and sacramentals. These latter differ from the sacraments. Christ our Lord gave us the sacraments. The Church, exercising the authority He gave her, instituted the sacramentals." He also states "They differ also in this: the sacraments of themselves, upon worthy reception, confer the particular grace that Christ attached to each of them; the sacramentals do not confer but obtain grace, as does, for instance, prayer.". Prior to reading this book I was unaware of how holy water was prepared. First salt is blessed and the blessed salt is added to water and with prayers the water is blessed. This book includes the prayers of blessing for the water and reading through them was very moving and stirring. It helped me realize why in university I carried a small bottle of Holy Water with me, and why I have tried to install a seriousness of the practice of blessing themselves in my three children.

Again Theiler speaking about the effects of Holy water says "For the effects of holy water we are indebted principally to our divine Savior. He merited for us the graces we obtain through its usage by His bitter Passion and death. Holy Church, however, who is the custodian of these precious and infinite treasures of grace merited by our Lord, has, in view of these merits, attached these effects to holy water. The power for doing this she has from Christ Himself; hence we owe the effects of holy water primarily to Christ, and secondarily to the will and the prayers of the Church." Of the effects of Holy water quoting Saint Teresa of Avila declares "I have myself felt an extraordinary consolation when I have used holy water. It is certain that I have felt a great joy and inner peace which I cannot describe, a joy with which my soul was quite refreshed. This is not merely an effect of the imagination, nor a rare occurrence. I have experienced it frequently and paid special attention to it. On these occasions I feel like one who, suffering intense thirst, takes a glass of water and is quite refreshed."

We are told by Theiler that "We have briefly shown the significance of holy water, which it possesses in the sanctifying order. The believing Christian knows well that it is not sufficient merely to take or use holy water to make secure of its effects, but that it is necessary to avoid sin, and the occasions of sin, to keep God's commands, to make use of the means of grace, and to lead a pious Christian life." And in the last few weeks I have seen these effects in my life and in all three of my children. One of the things we have started doing Is I bless my children before bed with Holy Water and have them bless me. Also when they are getting angry, frustrated or just feeling off they will often now go and grab the bottle of Holy water and bless themselves. This action slows them down, calms them and helps them make better choices.

Because of reading this book we now have bottles of Holy water on every level of our house and use if often. This book was a wonderful little read and I highly recommend it.

Holy Water and Its Significance for Catholics - Scholar's Choice Edition
Holy Water and Its Significance for Catholics - Scholar's Choice Edition
by Theiler Heinrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 13 Nov. 2016
This book caught my attention and I am very thankful that I did make the choice to not only get the book but to read it. In part I picked up this book because my son started having problems going to sleep alone. A friend suggested we bless him before bed. The next day this book crossed my path and once I started reading I could barely put the book down.

6. The Use of Holy Water by the Faithful
Conclusion
Appendices

by Theiler, Heinrich

6. The Use of Holy Water by the Faithful
Conclusion
Appendices
C. Prayers for Blessing Yourself with Holy Water

Holy Water and Its Significance for Catholics From the German of Rev. Henry Theiler (Classic Reprint)
by Rev. J. F. Lang

6. The Use of Holy Water by the Faithful
Conclusion
Appendices

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30