Profile for Cornish Deadhead > Reviews

Content by Cornish Deadhead

Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bluetooth Speakers, TaoTronics Wireless Portable Speaker Boom X Stereo 20W Speaker (Dual 10W Drivers, Dual Passive Subwoofers, Strong Bass, Aluminum-Alloy, Bluetooth 4.0, Built-in Microphone)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Little Speaker, 24 Aug. 2016
The reason I decided to get a Bluetooth speaker was after hearing music being streamed from an Ipad through a Bose, but I did not want to spend that amount of money on something that was simply a portable appliance similar to a radio. After some research I decide to go for this TaoTronics speaker and WOW, did it fulfil and surpass my expectations!

I get about 5hrs playing from it when fully charged, and whilst it does not come with a charger, my phone charger with mini USB does the job admirably. It is so easy to link up, and I've played music streamed from my phone, Ipad and laptop with ease. The sound really surprised me both with the volume and the base it produces, and I love the fact it is so easy to move around or take outside. It feels a quality bit of kit being metal and is quite heavy and the rubber pad it sits on means that no furniture need be scratched.

If you a looking for portable speaker to make your streamed music sound a whole lot better than you could do far worse than buy this little gem.

Betron B650 Noise Isolating Earphones Headphones, Powerful Bass, Pure Sound for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, HTC, Nokia etc (Gun Metal)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound At Budget Price, 24 Aug. 2016
I've used many different headphones and earphones over the years from high quality to very cheap, and decided some time ago that for music on the move, paying anywhere near £100 for a pair of phones that are likely to get damaged or lost is simply not worth it as I've had them fail as quick as cheap ones!!
Reading reviews I decide to give these Betrons a go to replace a budget pair which are starting to fail on one channel (after much travelling and use) and having used them for a while, I must say I'm very please with them. They appear to be solidly made with reasonable tough wire, but time will tell there, but what has impressed me is their efficiency, probably the best I've had for that as the volume on my mobile devices is far lower than I've had it before in order to achieve the same listening level. Secondly the sound is very clear and open, and I do not consider them to be bass heavy in any way, in fact I consider the sound to be well balanced.
My only concern is the headphone jack and wire which is a straight plug, not 90 degrees and I know this can lead to extra ware as it is so easy to knock and damage (past experience!!), but at the moment everything is fine and I'm really enjoying them - they have probably had 50hrs use at the time of writing this review.
Good value for money without doubt.

Tonar Pure Cork Platter Mat
Tonar Pure Cork Platter Mat
Offered by Joe-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cheap Upgrade, 24 Aug. 2016
I've been using this for a few weeks now, and I agree with the other reviewers that static is massively reduced, although not completely eliminated. There is a sound improvement in my opinion especially in the base. (I use a Rega 3 and previously used a felt mat)
If you play much vinyl and want a cheap upgrade that I'm sure you'll notice, then get one.

The Tel-Star Sessions [VINYL]
The Tel-Star Sessions [VINYL]
Offered by pb ReCommerce UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Early Mule!, 24 Aug. 2016
First let me say that the music on this album is superb, and certainly leaps from the speakers with the splatter vinyl being a bit of fun on the turntable. However I consider that I needed to award 4 stars only as although my copy was sealed, there was no download code or souvenir newspaper enclosed even though it had the sticker as seen in the photo. My initial order had gone astray (for which I received a refund immediately from the seller), so this was my second attempt direct with Amazon this time, and costing a few pounds more, I couldn't face the hassle of trying for a third copy! Perhaps I was just unlucky, but I do consider it shabby not to be provided with all that you pay for initially.

Musically any fan will not be disappointed but just be aware of a possible pitfall with the vinyl!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2017 3:53 PM BST

Atlanta Municipal Auditorium November 11th 1971
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium November 11th 1971

4.0 out of 5 stars Short & Sweet!, 3 July 2016
Never rated as very good, the short performance,(a little over 1Hr 40mins deducting the police hassle of track 2), here lacks any real gems, but is solid enough with a good selection of tracks. The recording quality is pretty good but there is noticeable compression a few times which I guess was necessary to keep the volume steady as a radio broadcast.

With the flood of Dead radio broadcasts that are available with more coming every month, this is not at the top of the pile, however it is not a waste of time for the enthusiast/collector.

Packaging is similar to other Shady Grove releases, a cardboard fold-out with cheap slots for the CDs and no info. They really need to do something about their shoddy packaging as once again, one of the discs in my sealed album has scuff marks where the cardboard goes across the CD halfway up, but luckily it does not cause any problem with playback!!!

Curiosities From The San Francisco Underground 1965-1971 Vol 2
Curiosities From The San Francisco Underground 1965-1971 Vol 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Collectors Will Love It!, 2 July 2016
Well this second volume certainly is a bit of a treasure trove for lovers of the era and West Coast music, but be aware the recording quality is not always up to scratch, especially the older ones on CD3!

OK then without going through every artist, the gems are in my opinion, The Youngbloods gig on CD1 where they really jam at times. The Garcia, Weir ,Cipollina & Champlin short acoustic set is a wonderful find.
CD2 is a great NRPS gig running for 70 mins - magic!
CD3 unearths a real collector's item, the KSAN-FM gig from '66 of The Final Solution. Now I know the odd track has surfaced before (There's one contained in the Pebbles series if my memory serves me right), but this contains 10 tracks. For those of you who are not familiar with the name of this band, they were one of the pioneers of the Bay Area sound, but were short-lived and never had a recording contract, however they were considered influential at the time. A real gold nugget, but (I guess due to the age) the recording is well below par. CD3 ends up with even an earlier recording, (1965 they claim) of Jefferson Airplane which again really suffers from its age.

All in all this is a real gem for a collector like me, but I would not recommend it for the casual listener.

Packaging is as V1, a cardboard fold-out with zero information.

Ortofon 2M Red MM Moving Magnet Cartridge
Ortofon 2M Red MM Moving Magnet Cartridge
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Cartridge, 28 Jun. 2016
After not replacing my cartridge for many years due to the drop in frequency of playing vinyl, the purchase of 4 new LPs encouraged me to invest. Having used a variety of cartridges in the past, I decided to keep with a manufacturer I knew, and after some investigation decided to invest in the Ortofon, and am I glad that I did.

I use a Rega 3 turntable which is a bit fiddly to fix a cartridge, but having set it up correctly (using an alignment protractor) and setting the tracking weight to the maximum recommended I gave it a whirl, and the difference compared to the sound before was remarkable. After a few hours use, I reckon the sound improved more as it became "worn in".

For a budget cartridge, I consider this Ortofon excellent and recommend it, but remember as it's an elliptical stylus, correct setting up is essential.

Earth
Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Earth (Shattering!), 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Earth (Audio CD)
It's always exciting to have a new NY album in your hands and to hear it for the first time, and this one certainly hit the spot!
Ignoring the archive releases, this has to be his best since Psychedelic Pill in my opinion with old songs sounding fresh, vibrant and to be honest new. In addition, there is the brilliant title track. This band might not be so edgy as Crazy Horse, but my heavens, they can certainly rock when called on to do so. The idea of various animal noises added as intros/outros is novel and whilst I can imagine some folk might not like it, it somehow added to the experience for me, and I can see this album receiving many plays.

Packaging is a fold out cardboard slip case with a single sheet in one side which suits me fine.

Garcialive, Vol. 6: July 5, 1973 Lion's Share
Garcialive, Vol. 6: July 5, 1973 Lion's Share
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars They Came To Jam And Did Just That!, 28 Jun. 2016
So here we have Vol 6 which features Jerry, Merle, John Kahn and Bill Vitt at the Lion's Share, San Anselmo Ca in July 1973, following closely on the release of the unofficial radio show CD, The System, recorded at the same venue. This two set 3CD issue is nearly 3 hours long, yet only features 14 tracks which indicates the length of some. The band is loose and jam like crazy at this small venue in a small town with a very jazzy feel to the whole gig. This becomes more evident in the second set where an unnamed guest trumpeter joins the band, and really makes a difference on the 19 minute My Funny Valentine, as well as the extended jam on the third CD.

If you have enjoyed Jerry's other outings with Merle Saunders and this band, in particular the Keystone Recordings, then this is simply a must have album. The recording is a "Betty Board" so you have no worries about the quality, even though it was never intended for release!

Packaging is the same as the previous 5, a fold-out digipak with a 12 page booklet.

The System: Live At Lions Share
The System: Live At Lions Share

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Getting!, 23 May 2016
For some reason, this unofficial issue of a FM broadcast remained at an unrealistic high price until recently when I decided to get it!

Lets start with the music which I reckon is spot on for Jerry with Merl, with excellent playing/jamming. There is no mention who the other musicians are but I'm sure the ever faithful John Kahn is on bass and Bill Vitt on drums with I think Tom Foggarty on second guitar and vocal. The recording itself is pretty good considering the source apart from some oddities such as having the vocals on one channel and little too far back in the mix at times, but this detracts little from the overall enjoyment. Having this set has now whetted my appetite for the next official Jerry release which is the same venue with Merl Saunders. (For some reason I am unable to insert the link to the album which you can pre-order through Amazon if you like)

Packaging is a gatefold cardboard slipcase with each CD benefitting from a paper cover, not simply sliding in the cardboard, a very pleasant surprise, however there are no notes or info of any kind!

If you want well over 2 hours of classic Jerry for under a fiver, then get it while you can!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20