Profile for hkatsonga > Reviews

Content by hkatsonga

hkatsonga (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Entrepreneur Revolution: How to develop your entrepreneurial mindset and start a business that works

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring and practical read., 20 Nov. 2013
An inspiring and practical read. I listened to most of this audiobook during a twelve-hour drive from Harare, Zimbabwe to Blantyre, Malawi.

My notes:

Daniel Priestley talks about how we all have an empire building brain, however, the empire brain can be shut down if the lower parts of the brain (reptile or monkey) are over stimulated. The reptile sees resources as very scarce so it's extremely selfish, guarded and doesn't want to share; it only sees what is there; it's very low in imagination. The monkey is good at repetitive work but is very easily distracted. The empire builder is empathic, creative, strategic, resourceful.

As one of his 10 challenges, he recommends walking around with GBP1,000 in cash at all times to adjust your views on what is a lot of money, to learn a degree of self-control and I suppose to discover other fears and emotions that go with carrying what most of us would consider to be a fairly hefty, even unsafe, amount of cash.

Take two people you want to get to know better out to lunch every week.

Cut news out. Keep a journal.

Always have 5 people on your team:
1. A visionary
2. A sales person
3. A graphics person
4. A Swiss Army knife (i.e. a jack of all trades)
5. A mentor

Lean in! i.e. go for it, network aggressively, seek opportunities, visualise and believe in the vision!

Formula for success: luck, reputation and vitality

Ascending Transaction Model - ATM:
- Gifts
- Products for prospects
- Core products
- Logical next steps (charge a few thousand for these)

7 Maxims
1. You get what you pitch for and you are always pitching
2. Influence comes from output NOT confidence
3. Income follows assets (this has been ringing in my head almost daily since I read the book)
4. Get known by the success of your clients
5. You're in partnership with everyone that touches your business
6. Ideas are worthless - implementation is everything
7. Being imaginative is NOT being creative

I recommend you read this book for practical steps that will push your vision/business forward. A must read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 8:11 PM BST

Never Mind the Botox - Meredith
Never Mind the Botox - Meredith

5.0 out of 5 stars A bloody good story. Take it on holiday!, 20 Nov. 2013
A bloody good story. At the end of every chapter, I immediately wanted to read the next. This book has even the subtle nuances of banking down to a T and not only that, it makes them exciting! Seriously, I want to see the movie.

I have one rule when it comes to reading, if my interest hasn't been piqued after the first 20 pages then I won't bother. There wasn't a single chapter in the books that didn't leave me wanting to read on. It was a very engaging story and what made it even better is how realistic it really is - small things like Nick not being able to navigate the Deal Team folders are so typical.

I also liked small bits of knowledge like the connection between maths and music or the arts, most people don't know that - I certainly learnt something new here.

There's lots of clever writing and dialogue in the story; for instance, I loved the analogy between reading Ryan and a nursery school book in extra large print. That was very clever.

I also loved the balance that Jamie brought to the whole Ryan saga.

The one thing I thought was incorrect was the statement about Vice Presidents being a low position in banks. VP at Goldman Sachs, for instance, is a reasonably high position and the sort of work that Alfred was doing would typically be done by Associates. However, I did see that they didn't have Associate as a position in the book. Overall, I enjoyed this book.

Girls Best Friend is Her Money (PB): The Motley Fool Women's Investment Guide
Girls Best Friend is Her Money (PB): The Motley Fool Women's Investment Guide
by Mackjasmine Birtles Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book for the new graduate or anyone wanting to re-org their finances, 4 Feb. 2013
I can't believe this book only has 4 reviews!

I bought this in 2005 when I had just graduated and found the advice invaluable: It sets you up for managing your money as a new earner fabulously and I believe will also work well if you've swept your finances under the carpet and want to take control!

Easy Homemade Hair Masks: Make Your Hair Beautiful and Shiny (All-Natural Recipes)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not edited, written by someone who never went to high school, 21 Jan. 2013
Before you spend your money please be aware that this book is written extremely poorly; in real pages it wouldn't even take up 30 pages, i.e. a short pdf document and the recipes are no more intricate than something you will find on blogs. The book lacks any sort of structure and wasn't edited even by the writer by the looks of it.

The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care(Standard Edition: Black & White)
by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is worth the price., 12 Dec. 2012
Length:: 1:02 Mins

I am a natural hair blogger at NenoNaturalDotCom and read everything that I can to improve my hair knowledge. This book is the best I have found yet and in this video I explain why!

Fearless Fighter: An Autobiography
Fearless Fighter: An Autobiography
by Vera Chirwa

5.0 out of 5 stars Malawians - please read!!, 2 Jan. 2011
There are very few books that give a personal Malawian's account of what happened in the 1950s and 1960s. I am very happy that Vera Chirwa survived her struggles to write an account of life in this very volatile transition from colonial rule to independence. The beauty of this book is that very few people were close to Kamuzu Banda in those formative years and Vera Chirwa and Orton Chirwa are one of those; So much so that Kamuzu named one of their children after himself. They saw both the good and bad side of Kamuzu and she tries her best to give a reasoned account of the times without overly castigating the man that sent her to prison for 12 years for no good reason. A must read for all Malawians. Heather Katsonga-Phiri, 2011.

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't waste your time., 30 Oct. 2010
I have read all 5 of Dan Brown's books. This was not only the worst Dan Brown, it is also one of the worst books that I have ever read. I found it pointless and full of cushioning. It reads very much like a lecture rather than like a story. Personally, I also found it highly repetitive. This is the last DB I will ever read.

The Jive Talker: Or, How to get a British Passport
The Jive Talker: Or, How to get a British Passport
by Samson Kambalu

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing perspective of an African, 5 Oct. 2010
I maintained a constant chuckle throughout my reading of this book, receiving a few raised eyebrows from random train passengers. However, over and above being quite a comic writer, I enjoyed this book because it gives real insight into what goes on in the mind of an ordinary African boy.

The thoughts that went through Samson's head as he went from one experience to another are far more highbrow than the average westerners associates with African minds. There are so few books expressing and accurately portraying the way Africans think that the Western World has (on average) quite a poor opinion on African intelligence and sophistication of thought, this book takes a step in the right direction with respect to solving that problem.

I take my hat off to Samson for allowing himself to think against the establishment because compliance is so much easier.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written..., 23 Aug. 2009
Firstly, I need to put my review in context. I am 25-years old and I lap up books like a cat laps up milk. My motto is: if you're not hooked by page 20 dump the book and in my 25-year life, I have never felt the need to review a book. You'll be hooked from the start of this book.

In less than 400 pages, Khaled Hosseini intricately and seamlessly weaves the lives of 2 Afghani women across 2 generations together. The book was filled with tragedy, pain, suffering, war, torment, love, companionship, wants, needs, survival and importantly, endurance. A very compelling read. I couldn't stop reading even when I was called anti-social at a picnic, the book was a million times more fulfilling than the pointless "girl talk"....

Page: 1 | 2