Profile for hkatsonga > Reviews

Content by hkatsonga

hkatsonga "NenoNaturalDotCom" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
(43112 wall) White wooden Bathroom Wall Mounted Cabinet / Storage, Tongue and Groove Style
Offered by Interior White

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks small but it fits a lot!, 19 Mar. 2016
I had this placed into a flat in my bathroom and now I'm getting 3 more to fit in a new house we are buying. It takes a lot more stuff than you would expect. Love it.

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
by Sheryl Sandberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Inspirational, 2 Dec. 2015
Truly Inspirational. I downloaded the audible book expecting not to like it but I was frankly invigorated and blown away.

It's a very well written book and truly shows the great understanding Sherly Sandberg has of women's role in society as a whole. Frankly, I think anyone who gives this book a negative review isn't at that point in their life where they need this type of inspiration. Women matter and currently, we're very much taken as second class citizens. There is plenty of advice in this book for both people in careers and entrepreneurial women to handle the world better and live better lives.

Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
Oversubscribed: How to Get People Lining Up to Do Business with You
by Daniel Priestley

5.0 out of 5 stars If you really get it, you'll transform your life and business, 28 Nov. 2015
Business and enterprise is a journey. It doesn’t matter which books you read, you will inevitably make mistakes; that’s part of the process.

If someone presents you with a full roadmap to achieving your dreams you can’t skip fundamental steps and still expect to get where you’re going.

Yes, you can take shortcuts by implementing some ideas and concepts in an innovative way so that you drive straight through some stumbling blocks but there are certain fundamental roads you cannot skip.

​I feel all of Daniel’s concepts are actually easy to implement and don’t leave you asking a million more questions that you can’t answer yourself. Some of the successful people I follow seem to have gotten there by simply being in the right place at the right time without a system they can teach others to follow. Daniel Priestley isn’t one of those. This is why he’s used the same system to grow a few businesses. He’s a very impressive thinker.

Having a core team is one of his key suggestions.

I’ve been running my own business for over 3 years now and I’ve avoided employing people full-time because I thought it was a major hassle. I saw it as an inconvenience because I couldn’t be bothered to deal with employment legislation.

I’ve done a lot by leveraging third-party services such as contract manufacturers, fulfilment houses and freelancers and it’s paid off as the $202,000 made on Amazon USA proves, however, it’s becoming clear that further growth will require a team.
Picture
​I finished listening to Oversubscribed and two weeks after taking stock of where my business has gone I’ve realised that I now own my job! My inbox fills up at an atrociously rapid rate which is great because it means something is working but it also means I have to take my laptop on every holiday.

I can work from anywhere in the world, I only work a few hours a day and indeed I hold inventory in the US and in the UK now so I am essentially a one-woman multinational with no full time employees – even I don’t work full-time hours **gasp**. But, what’s the point of carrying your job wherever you go?

A business should reach a point where you can go away for two weeks without checking your inbox at all with an expectation that things will still run smoothly in your absence.

These are some of my reflections since reading Oversubscribed and I’ll definitely have more on the second listen of the audiobook but I’ve also taken fundamental action. This week I viewed offices for the first time and I am about to start advertising for two roles. One of the roles has been filled before I’ve even committed to the office facilities.

A fellow Cambridge grad and friend believes in the work I’m doing so much he’s coming on-board. He’s an engineer with a completely different skill set to mine so it’s a perfect complement.

Ultimately, when you read Oversubscribed you will more than likely be inspired by different elements of the book to the ones that inspired me. It all depends on where you are in your business. Employing people is a huge step but when you hire people each person is not just a cost centre but also a revenue centre.

A small business with a limited budget has to spend money in the right way so hiring the right people upfront is key. After that you need to track your progress weekly if not daily to ensure you’re on the right path. Having completed Daniel Priestley’s Key Person of Influence program I continue to learn so much from him and the community he’s built. For that, I am grateful.

How To Write Your Book Without The Fuss: The definitive guide to planning, writing and publishing your business or self-help book
by Lucy McCarraher

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you even start writing!, 6 Oct. 2015
I wish I'd had this blueprint when I first started my journey into self-publishing, so many errors would have been avoided. This book has absolutely everything you need to know to ensure your final product is worthy of any top ranking publisher. A very worthy read. Heather

Munchkin Miracle 360 Trainer Cup - Blue
Munchkin Miracle 360 Trainer Cup - Blue
Offered by The Path of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought one for my friend's son too., 30 Sept. 2015
So good I bought one for my friend's son too. My son got the hang of it within about two weeks. By 7 to 7.5 months he was able to use it independently.

Five Days
Five Days

4.0 out of 5 stars slow but well written., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Five Days (Kindle Edition)
I have ready EVERY Douglas Kennedy novel. This was a very well written story but you had to bear with its slowness. A person who doesn't know DK's writing would probably give up halfway through because of the pace. Even I, when I was 75% through thought the only thing better about this than a Mills & Boon was the writing otherwise the love story was too simple at that point. Anyway, I knew it would get better and it did. I guess it needed a lot of building up for the ultimate denouement to have impact on the reader. Heather Katsonga

The Way I See It: Rants, Revelations And Rules For Life
The Way I See It: Rants, Revelations And Rules For Life

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 17 Oct. 2014
Very authentic. I agree with Lord Sugar on some points and disagree with others but overall the book stayed true to what I expected of the man.

From Good to Amazing: No Bullshit Tips for The Life You Always Wanted
From Good to Amazing: No Bullshit Tips for The Life You Always Wanted
by Michael Serwa

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a good summary of all the best self-help books with a personal touch, 6 Mar. 2014
I got this book free of charge when I screamed "me, me, me" at a KPI event where Michael Serwa was speaking. If I am totally honest, I found/find Michael lacking in humility - that is, he is a little pompous a.k.a. cock-sure so I wasn't sure if I would like the book.

Yes, the tone does go from confident to cocky at times but I think there were tiny glimpses of humility in his writing. I think the bravado is definitely a front.

The book is a good and brief summary of a lot of self-help books. I read it in a couple of hours at a cafe. Even if you have read a tonne of literature you would still enjoy this book because it's Michael's own take on things. He says he hates writing but I think he writes rather well.

These were my favourite bits from the book:

Pg. 39: I like what Zig Ziglar said: "Money isn't the most important thing, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the (gotta have it) scale".

Pg. 43: I remember mentally high fiving the Universe after seeing the size of that guy when I opened the door for him. I love that analogy of mentally high fiving the universe! I do it all the time but have never thought about it like that. I am totally going to start using the phrase.

Pg. 46: I like what Wayne Dyer said: "Friends are God's way of apologising for your family."

Pg. 60: The world belongs to people who are proactive. This is so true and people need to meditate on this phrase.

Pg. 62: The bamboo tree takes five years of watering before it shows anything above the ground at all. Five years! But when it starts to grow, it grows up 20 metres in one year. Many things in life are just like this tree. How freaking awesome is that analogy. I wonder if Michael thought of it himself, lol.

Pg. 82: ...out of all the things that can sell us short image is the easiest one to fix. True, very true!

Pg. 121: The power of imagination is huge.

When Michael talked about taking stock of all the things you appreciate at the end of the day, I thought about how I appreciate the fact that I can just take an afternoon off to read a book (or even do nothing) whenever I want. Then I thought about how I appreciate my husband and my immediate family so incredibly much.

In summary, cocky or not, Michael is a smart and well-grounded guy. I like his style. Get his book.

49 Quick Ways to Market Your Business for Free: An Instant Guide to Marketing Success

4.0 out of 5 stars good for complete beginners, 22 Dec. 2013
I pretty much knew everything in here bar a few new websites but I would say it's good for a total newbie to business.

Entrepreneur Revolution: How to develop your entrepreneurial mindset and start a business that works

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring and practical read., 20 Nov. 2013
An inspiring and practical read. I listened to most of this audiobook during a twelve-hour drive from Harare, Zimbabwe to Blantyre, Malawi.

My notes:

Daniel Priestley talks about how we all have an empire building brain, however, the empire brain can be shut down if the lower parts of the brain (reptile or monkey) are over stimulated. The reptile sees resources as very scarce so it's extremely selfish, guarded and doesn't want to share; it only sees what is there; it's very low in imagination. The monkey is good at repetitive work but is very easily distracted. The empire builder is empathic, creative, strategic, resourceful.

As one of his 10 challenges, he recommends walking around with GBP1,000 in cash at all times to adjust your views on what is a lot of money, to learn a degree of self-control and I suppose to discover other fears and emotions that go with carrying what most of us would consider to be a fairly hefty, even unsafe, amount of cash.

Take two people you want to get to know better out to lunch every week.

Cut news out. Keep a journal.

Always have 5 people on your team:
1. A visionary
2. A sales person
3. A graphics person
4. A Swiss Army knife (i.e. a jack of all trades)
5. A mentor

Lean in! i.e. go for it, network aggressively, seek opportunities, visualise and believe in the vision!

Formula for success: luck, reputation and vitality

Ascending Transaction Model - ATM:
- Gifts
- Products for prospects
- Core products
- Logical next steps (charge a few thousand for these)

7 Maxims
1. You get what you pitch for and you are always pitching
2. Influence comes from output NOT confidence
3. Income follows assets (this has been ringing in my head almost daily since I read the book)
4. Get known by the success of your clients
5. You're in partnership with everyone that touches your business
6. Ideas are worthless - implementation is everything
7. Being imaginative is NOT being creative

I recommend you read this book for practical steps that will push your vision/business forward. A must read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 8:11 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2