Profile for L. Day > Reviews

Content by L. Day

L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
AmazonBasics Nylon Braided USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable - Apple MFi Certified - Dark Grey (6 Feet/1.8 Meter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and tons better than the Apple one, 25 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We all love this to bits, Our household seems to specialise in destroying iphone/ipad cables it's not unusual to hear things like, "Yeah, try that one it does work .... if you wiggle it" and at the price they charge for the Apple branded ones it's not really that funny.

This cable is a delight, it's extremely sturdy and it just feels like a quality item. The braided outer wrap goes into the actual USB or lightning connector and is covered by a very hard-wearing ridged rubber protector - as this spot is the usual one for ours to snap and give up the ghost I have high hopes for its longevity.

The colour, which I would describe as light grey rather than dark grey, doesn't look as though it would end up looking anywhere near as grotty as the usual white plastic ones
So far I recommend it highly and I will update the review if I turn out to be wrong

Silverline 760004 3-12.7 mm Plastic and Rubber Tube Cutter
Silverline 760004 3-12.7 mm Plastic and Rubber Tube Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts tubing quickly and accurately, 15 Aug. 2016
Trying to fit an undersink water filter was a bit of a nightmare as every time my other half cut the 10mm tubing/pipe he crushed it. I found this, bought it - problem solved.

SanDisk SDDD2-064G-GAM46 64 GB Ultra Dual USB 3.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDDD2-064G-GAM46 64 GB Ultra Dual USB 3.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 15 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brilliant little gizmo, does exactly what it's supposed to and offers peace of mind for not endlessly running out of space to take photos on my phone. Back up with the app (download for free) seems to work well too.

Nothing more to say - it just works - Love it

HALTI Walking Harness, Medium, Purple
HALTI Walking Harness, Medium, Purple
Offered by JD-MAC Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed, padded, secure but DO double-check sizing, 4 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received one of these from the Vine program for review but it was the wrong size (should have been the correct size). However I loved it so much I bought another in the correct size. It's a really nice secure, comfortably padded harness and my dog loves it.

The grab handle on the back is terrific for a little additional control or comfort and there is a lot of adjustment possible to get it really comfortable and snug without being too tight on your dog. It's much nicer quality that the one she has been using for about the last 3 years and the glow at night edging is super on our unlighted country lanes as it means she really stands out in a car's headlights

The one piece of advice I would give you is really measure carefully as the medium should have been the correct size for my Bichon (about Westie sized) but it was much too big and the small which I bought still has loads of space in it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

L'Oreal Paris Nude Magique Cushion Number 6, Rose Beige
L'Oreal Paris Nude Magique Cushion Number 6, Rose Beige

3.0 out of 5 stars Well designed packaging but very sheer coverage which only lasts 2 hours., 12 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a new style of foundation for me and there were three things I liked about it and two that I really didn't. I would probably have given it 3.5 stars if we could but as I know I wouldn't buy it again I'm not prepared to mark up.
LIKES:
Sturdy little leak-proof compact with a very nice quality mirror
Quick and easy to apply (as long as you just want a light, sheer all-over coverage)
The shade (No. 6) which I wouldn't have chosen, turned out to be quite good with my skin tone

DISLIKES:
The coverage and the longevity of it,
I do have a couple of broken veins which are easily covered with my current foundation Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF15 Light - Medium Honey and don't usually need concealer. But I had to build and build to get even medium coverage in the two areas where I need it and then it looked unnatural. I was desperate to grab my usual foundation brush and just smooth the whole thing out properly but I stuck with the sponge. It needed re-doing about two hours later.
The next time I tried it I used concealer on the broken veins - it didn't work well leaving blotches as the foundation sponge rolled the concealer off (using both the gliding and the tap-tap motion they specify).

The price
Yes my usual foundation costs more than twice what this does - but a tiny amount gives 12 hours coverage and a tube lasts me for months - I'm pretty sure I would go through this one in no time, given the amount that ends up on the sponge, the amount I needed to use to get decent coverage in some areas and how often I had to re-apply it

In conclusion: I would use this at the weekend or on holiday or if I just wanted to look a little more presentable to pop to the shops, walk the dog or go out for lunch but I wouldn't be happy with it's reliability for a work day or an evening out. However i can see that if someone with good skin wanted to wear make up it could be great for them as the dewy finish is quite attractive for the brief time it lasts.

It's not a bad product, no overwhelming fragrance, excellently designed packaging and I suspect perfect for the right person - that person just isn't me.

USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Cherry Bakewell - 1 kg
USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Cherry Bakewell - 1 kg
Offered by Colossol Nutrition

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're doing Paleo or anything with restricted carbs this is a refreshing change, 12 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried the cherry bakewell one. I like shakes, not so much for weight loss but for ease and an energy boost when I come home starving and have to sacrifice my lunch-hour to walking the dog. Or after work when it's too long until dinner and ... I have to walk the dog - it stops me snacking on stupid choices.

This mix definitely ticked my boxes. It mixed easily in the mini blender that I keep for my shakes, I throw a couple of ice cubes in instead of a little of the water because I find they almost all taste better really cold.
If I had been blind taste testing I wouldn't have a clue what the flavour was except I might have guessed something fruit with almond essence but it was pleasant and a refreshing change from the endless vanilla, strawberry and chocolate that are the main choices from other brands.

I was DELIGHTED that there were no nasty headache-inducing sweeteners, I loathe aspartame and most of the others. This is sucralose and if anything it was slightly too sweet.

Did I Mention I Won The Lottery?: A feel good story about shopping and second chances!

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who has ever thought about what they would REALLY do if they won the lottery, 12 July 2016
This was really good, light, funny and gripping. It has a wonderful "OMG that could be me" quality. (Although obviously I would have buried the idiot husband in bog 5 years before if he had been mine) however I say that assuming that you too have something about your life that you would like to change.

I enjoyed it a lot, it's free if like me you have Prime lending library or Kindle unlimited ... if the sample doesn't hook you it's not for you. But I found it different and wonderfully enjoyable ... in that long hot bath with large cold glass of wine way. It kept me up til 4am laughing (and wincing a bit at her horrendous husband)

I'd recommend it for the end of a bad day, as holiday reading or just if you need a little cheering up and I just got her next one ... so yes, I really did enjoy it!

Scotch Restickable Tabs 25.4mm x 25.4mm (R100) - 1 pack, 18 tabs per pack
Scotch Restickable Tabs 25.4mm x 25.4mm (R100) - 1 pack, 18 tabs per pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Now work brilliantly after tip from teacher friend, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had the same problem as the other reviewers that things I put up were falling down however ... I found that I was the problem not the tabs when a friend who is a teacher came to visit.
Her advice is that she sticks the tabs firmly to the paper/card/photo frame etc last thing at the end of the day - holding each tab for a few seconds and then leaves them around the classroom overnight. She goes in slightly earlier in the morning and sticks them all on the walls/project boards etc - and they stay put!

Apparently the 'item' side simply isn't as sticky as the 'wall' side and she herself got the tip from another teacher.

I really hope this tip helps someone as they ARE much better than blu-tac or the sticky dot things and once they're up they stay up until you move them and they do remove cleanly

Post-it 76mm x 76mm Notes Cube - Neon Pink Rainbow (325 Sheets)
Post-it 76mm x 76mm Notes Cube - Neon Pink Rainbow (325 Sheets)

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you would expect from Post-it notes in terms ..., 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Exactly what you would expect from Post-it notes in terms of reliability, stick-ability and ease-of-use.
I only have one criticism:
I didn't realise until it arrived that the Post-it notes of this rainbow block type that I have bought for the last 20 years are actually 450 sheets - which makes the 325 in this pack quite expensive compared to those. Considering it's the same product, made by the same people with less actual post-its for slightly more money than I usually pay - i wouldn't buy this size myself in the future

Kensington "SmartFit" Conform Back Rest
Kensington "SmartFit" Conform Back Rest

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't find a suitable chair for it, 5 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried to like this, I really did because I do need the support for an upper back/shoulder problem and it looked ideal however I simply can't find a chair to fit it on that allows me to sit comfortably at my desk.
The back rest protrudes so far that there isn't anywhere for me to actually put my bottom to sit comfortably (I'm a size 14). I tried all 3 of the office chairs that we have (from the normal cheapo one, through the £150 ergonomic one to my partner's stupidly expensive leather one) - not one of them left me more than 8 inches of seat to perch on. OK that's not strictly true - my partners chair left me slightly more space than the other two but, and it was a big but, it put so much strain on my thighs i found it more painful than dealing with the shoulder pain I was trying to treat.

It is nice quality, obviously well planned out but I simply can't use it

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18