Profile for Nick Parker > Reviews

Content by Nick Parker

Nick Parker (Wednesbury, West Midlands United Kingdom)

Hybrid
Hybrid
by Shaun Hutson

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait., 8 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Hybrid (Hardcover)
The return of Sean Doyle...
In the past, people have accused Shaun of boycotting horror in favour of writing thrillers. With Hybrid, I think he's pleased everyone by skillfully covering both areas.
The book itself consists of two stories - Sean Doyles re emergance and a struggling writers nightmare. The two work side by side perfectly, just as you reach a pivitol point of one story, your attention is drawn to another which is equally as thrilling.
I love (and always have loved) the way the books are broken down into short chapters, this adds to the flow of the book. Each chapter is like a shot of good scotch, before you know it you've drunk half the bottle!
Thanks again Shaun for a good story, this is one of the best in my opinion. As always, can't wait for the next one.

Grey Paes and Bacon: From the Heart of the Black Country
Grey Paes and Bacon: From the Heart of the Black Country
by Bob Bibby

1.0 out of 5 stars I expected much more...., 4 Mar. 2002
I brought this book with high expectations. I was hoping to be educated about the area I have lived in all of my life, instead all I got was an amble around, visting museums and shops that were always closed. I finished the book, totally uninspired and with the feeling it could have been done a lot lot better.

Compulsion (Hb)
Compulsion (Hb)
by Shaun Hutson

5.0 out of 5 stars Overdose on the macabre feel-good factor., 17 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Compulsion (Hb) (Hardcover)
After picking up Compulsion on the 14th of August, I was a little sceptical on what to expect as I wasn't too impressed with Exit Wounds (Shauns previous novel), sorry Shaun!
Compulsion is about teenage crime. It follows a group of young adults in their bid to make everyone's life around them a complete and utter misery. This includes violence, vandalism and harassment.
As everyone knows, in real life, the police do absolutely nothing to stop these situations, other than perhaps slap their hands, or send them to the Bahamas for "rehab".
Imagine yourself being terrorised by a group of youngsters until you reach breaking point, they hurt people you love and they damage your property. The police cannot and will not do anything to help and still their harassment continues. Then, one day, you catch the culprits. What would you do? How would your anger manifest itself?
Everyone loves to see scum get they're comeuppance. Compulsion gives you the opportunity to experience the primitive, sweet human emotion of revenge.
Shaun's style of writing is as usual very fast moving. I love the short action packed chapters. The characters are well defined and the scenario is different to any other I've read before.
The moral of this story: respect your elders.