Profile for Mr. David Gould > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Gould

Mr. David Gould "Dave in the cave" (Wet Windy West Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Warfarin & You
Warfarin & You
by V. B. Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better buys in my life., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Warfarin & You (Paperback)
Thought I'd wait a while after buying the book to see how things panned out & was it useful.

I've been on the warfarin for a year , had to go to a high dose for life when a big blood clot hit my lungs 7 put me in intensive hospital care for nine days .

My health carers didn't really say much about the condition other than I had to avoid eating cranberries or drinking the juice and anything with a lot ( what ever that means ) of vitamin K as Vit k is the antidote to the " Rat posion" ( Warfarin ).

Wanting to get a handle back on my life so I could still go out for a meal i scanned the search engines for" Living with Warfarin" and this book showed up .... a lucky guess I suppose .
When I read the Amazon reviews , at first I was a little swayed by the negative reviewers
But slept on the reviews for a couple of days to let my head work it out fro me whilst I slept . I had a few revisits to the reviews the common sense of the positive reviews mirrored what my head had worked out so i purchased the book.

I've had the book for seven months or so now & soon found out that having someone intelligently collate all the right bits of information into one handy light booklet is a real good deal all round with no downsides.

I'd have spent such a long time following the hypochondriac's witchcraft ideas & old wives tales that I doubt I'd have been able to accept the blood clots or worked out how to live with them.
It's a handy book not only for me but for my wife and kids as they have all read it and know how the land lies for me from now on.
I don't have to worry about what I'm eating in our homes as Warfarin has been taken into consideration.

The booklet has also been handy in some of the higher level restaurants where knowledgeable chefs and maître d' hotel's are only too happy to take on board what my dietary requirements are rather than present me with their signature dishes that may harm me .

I definitely give the book 10 out of 10 and do recommend it to any one who has suffered from blood clots , be they on Warfarin or not.

10 x Weck 100mm Rubber Seals / Rings
10 x Weck 100mm Rubber Seals / Rings
Offered by Amazing Child Montessori

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently designed for the specific purpose of sealing pressure sterilized ..., 12 Oct. 2014
Excellently designed for the specific purpose of sealing pressure sterilized Weck food preserving jar or when Weck jars jars are used for" putting up " pickles

SET OF SIX 850ml Large Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 743.
SET OF SIX 850ml Large Weck Jars. German Made Classic Design. Model 743.

5.0 out of 5 stars The wonder of Wecks pressure sterilized preserving jars & bottles, 12 Oct. 2014
I simply love them and the fantastic value that they are. 18 months ago I started learning how to pressure can all manner of foods from soups to big chunks of meat . I've taken this path because I've suddenly become intolerant to all manner of chemicals in food after having a very close missed trip to the crematorium with a severe anaphylactic fit .
Canning/bottling my own food means I get to know exactly what is put in it and as I grow all my own food fairly organically I miss out on the stuff that can trip me over into yet another fit .

Initially I chose Kilner jars as I was brought up with Mum & dad putting up food in them ...they were reliable . However jump forward 55 years or more and they are not now made in the UK but in, " The land of the Great Wall" .
I soon discovered that there was a big problem with the sealing lip of the jar being like a camel's humps . There was no way that the jars would ever seal if I could get three standard thickness business cards slid under the closed lid. In the end out of 24 jars I had 16 jars like that. Their lack of customer care meant I have only just had the problem resolved in a very unsatisfactory manner....that's almost exactly 12 months since I notified them of it, it's now 12 October 2014

So early into November last year ( 2013 ) I took the amazon route to buy a few Weck preserving jars as they had the cheaped I could find anywhere in the shops or the whole of the UK for that matter of fact .. ,
I did a 10 jar trial with them ,pressure canning five 750 ml jars of chicken stock and five 750 ml jars of chunks of beef in veg stock and found them a far superior product in many ways .
the most obvious was that i have a cheap sealing ring to replace every time i open a jar , empty it and want to refill it with a new batch .

The other brands superior to the model of jar had problems with has a throwaway tin plate lid with integrated seal and it needs to be renewed every time you reuse the jar ...these are expensive
These throw away lids also need a separate steel screw down lid securing band to hold down the lid whilst you sterilize the contents . Fifty of these rings take up a fair bit of space & they need replacing after every ten useages ... more expensie and like as not the thread form will have changed yet again. so you will have to also end up buying a fukll set of new jars.

The thicker precision made Weck glass jars however have been almost identical for the last 60 years . I think that the only change has been a much better pair stainless steel over centre spring clips for each jar that holds the glass lid down on to a sealing band whilst you pressure cook and sterilize the jars contents .

None of my Weck trial jars failed , so I ended up buying a one off lot of a lifetimes supply of about £380 worth of various sized Weck jars ( about 128 jars in total ).
They can come complete with glass lid and a sealing band , if I recall correctly I declined that way because I could save about £20 by purchasing the lids and jars as one big batch from one place , then buying the sealing bands and lid clips separately elsewhere in Amazon as bulk buys .

I think purchased 150 lid clips as they will never have a shelf life whilst I'm alive , perversely they all fit inside of one of the faulty Kilner jars .
Each Weck jar needs / has two of those stainless steel over centre spring clips to hold down the lid . They are placed 180 degrees apart and at 90 degrees from a small tab on the rubber sealing gasket. When the jars is sealed and cold you remove rhe clips and gently try and lift the lid off the jar . A successful sealing exercise means the lid is stuck fast by the internal sealing vacuum force. The tab is to pull so as to break the internal vacuum when you want to open the jar and it also serves to indicate that the jars is correctly sealed . When a jar is correctly sealed and cold the tab tends to point slightly downwards .

The replacement seals are easily obtained off the likes of Amazon but do watch out for the excessive postal charges some of the people who supply them charge. Also with respect to the Weck lid rubber gasket seals .... don't go and buys 10 years worth of seals in one go as these do have a shelf life of about two to three years.

Though if vacuum packed & heat sealed in " Preppers" Mylar bags in a protective nitrogen gas atmosphere they may well exceed that time .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2015 10:52 PM GMT

Norpro Canning Rack, Silver
Norpro Canning Rack, Silver
Offered by US-ZINC

2.0 out of 5 stars Jar rack for hot water bath preserving, 12 Oct. 2014
It is a well made product , I had hoped it would fit into my 21 &1/2 quart All American Pressure Canner .( AAPC )

Well it fits in the vessel but in my is about as much use as a chocolate teapot when used in this situation for I can only pace 4 x 650 ml Weck preserving jars on it in one go and even then they are unsteady . I cant put the 300 ml sized jars on it at all as they fall through the gaps ..
I've solve the problem by importing more specific flat plate type trivets direct form the All American Canning company .

I still have a few of the larger Kilner and Mason screw band , sacrificial lid type preserving jars ,they do fit on it OK in the AAPC .

If I'd had an open bath hot water preserving system with a lift on , lift off lid I have on doubts that it would fit the shallower tapered side pans exceedingly well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2017 12:03 PM GMT

EcoAir Hybrid Dehumidifier/Air Purifier, 20 L - White
EcoAir Hybrid Dehumidifier/Air Purifier, 20 L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing review of the Eco Air DC02 dehumidifier & air refresher, 12 Oct. 2014
It's now nearly a year since we purchased the Eco air.
What a fantastic difference to the humidity level in our big bed room &b the rest of the bungalow
We'd suffered a hidden central heating leak that flooded the floor slab of the bungalow, the insurers paid for a major repair , including nine months of dehumidifying gear hire whilst they rehoused us for nearly a year till the home became legally health safe to live in again .
Once we were back in the place we noticed mould appearing on some of the clothes in the wardrobes , all three of us kept getting chest infections even though the top of the range central heating was working fine & we'd had our windows open whenever possible as well as having trickle vents inserted in all windows and external doors .etc. etc.

The first afternoon I put the EcoAir on to " Dry " in the bed room it filled with water in about eight hours , this went on for weeks and weeks . It has now slowly but surely tailed of in the extraction amounts as the place gets drier & drier ( we purchased a mid price digital humidity indicator to kept a log of the humidity levels & water extracted to prove or disprove it was effective .

Letting it dry on its own is cheap but a bit of a problem here for Wales is not known for its , " Green , Green Grass of Home " ,because of arid dessert conditions .
The running costs have not really shown up as a bug bear for we no longer have had to use the convector heater to try and dry the place out ,. Infact I offer that our bills are a lot lower.

One thing I really do like is the oscillating top cover that wafts fresh dry air out , we placed it in this mode towards the open wardrobe doors . Filled the scent pad/reservoir with a linen scented fluid out of Wilkinsons for less than a pound a pop . All of out clothing has now lost that musty aroma ..it's saved us a bomb in dry cleaning & retexturing costs .

Now the place is dried out we still use the Eco Air to freshen & clean the air , mainly used after vacuuming on rainy days for we have a loveable but 38 kg big stinky dog . Even though he gets shampooed and showered at least once a month his slight doggy aroma is noticeable to me . An hour or so of it being on in the refresh mode after we have Dyson'd the place and you'd never know we had a dog .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 11:05 AM BST

Made at Home: Curing & Smoking: From Dry Curing to Air Curing and Hot Smoking, to Cold Smoking

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal by real ( modern ) people, 8 Jan. 2014
Dick & his son have written a modern easy reading highly accurate classic that will be around for a long time and be used by many many people who prefer to prepare their own food rather than take the lesser stuff found in most shops , butchers and supermarkets.

The book covers just about everything you can smoke in hot or cold wood smoke, the recipes are easy to read and have been proven over and over again.

I'm delighted & honoured to be able to be able to recommend this book to anyone thinking of ,or who are even remotely interested in curing or smoking your own foods

I've Kindled this edition , read it five times in 12 days from stat to fin as well as going back and forth within it many times and will be getting the hard backed edition as I want to flick back and forth over certain sections ( this is not so easy on a Kindle Lite .

Hat's off to both of you guys and your families ... you're onto a real winner over and over again.

PS I've recently cold smoked my first 4 lb. of cheese chunks , then cured and smoked 500 gram of farmed salmon ( can't afford fresh line caught Atlantic salmon yet ).

Our New Years Day breakfast was our eating some of our home smoked cheese and salmon on crackers ,cheese crackers and water biscuits whilst sipping Strawbery Sekt
You're right , shop or super market sourced stuff are not a patch on the home smoked foods .

Captain Cook's Journal During the First Voyage Round the World
Captain Cook's Journal During the First Voyage Round the World

3.0 out of 5 stars An adventure in reading, 7 Jan. 2014
Wow , a mind boggling read of a ships log day by day , league by league & year by year .
Sometimes it's a bit hard going trying to recall which day it is , what course it is navigating and where the ship is .

It is however a good historical insight into what went on in sailing ships of the period .

In the end I disciplined myself to read it for 15 minutes a day to get through the book , be that 15 x 1 minute sessions or 2x 7.5 min , 3x5 , 5x3 10+5 or a whole 15 minutes with a glass of Bushmills Single Malt in my free hand that made me reread the same line several times .

Practical Food Smoking: A Comprehensive Guide
Practical Food Smoking: A Comprehensive Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the smoking books I've been reading, 7 Jan. 2014
I'm into the second reading of this book , I'm using it as the reinforcer for all the other books I've recently read on preserving food by curing and smoking.

Because I read four or five books a months often as several of a similar theme ,I've learnt over the years to let my mind find the common thread that runs through all the books whilst I sleep .

Happily this book backs up/ confirms all the latest up-to-date printed books ..IE no unexplained changed in methods or witchcraft etc. in smoking the food .

There is the odd new little gem to be found in the book as well , but I'd be spoiling it for you if I told you what I found them to be .. you might also disagree with me .

I'm happy to recommend the book to anyone adept or as a beginner in the great smoking room as all new proven ideas are extra ammunition for you and your mind to use.

Miss Leslie's New Cookery Book
Miss Leslie's New Cookery Book

4.0 out of 5 stars I let myself down on this one, 7 Jan. 2014
Initially I felt that the author was a stuck up condescending twerp or heavy industrial language coaching such a term or two .

Happily when I find a difficult book I've learnt over the years to leave it for a day or two and then plough through it . Some little gems found therein might stick on my single brain cell after the second reading session. Occasionally I end up reading the book three or four times if it starts to grow on me.

This book was however quite different , I started to realise about mid way though on the first reading that I'd got it all wrong . The authoress was/is in fact a very very sincere person who was trying to help those who were much less fortunate than herself by giving them ideas of how to make sustaining meals for big families so that the kiddies wouldn't starve or die of disease etc.
( I'll be trying one or two of her recipes as some of them also appeal to me )

What was a shame it is that history tells us loud and clear that around 200 to 150 years ago that those in need of her advice would most likely be on very low incomes , practically 100% illiterate , under the influence of alcohol most of the time & perhaps not the brightest candle in the shop. .. ( Sounds familiar ? )
Therefore the vast majority of her target audience were unable to purchase or read the book so as to do what was being written down for their benefit .

Kindle Skills - From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard
Kindle Skills - From the Desk of Mrs. Wizard

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential freebie ( or was a freebie ), 7 Jan. 2014
This was the first book I downloaded on my original Kindle ( I've now migrated to a kindle Lite ).

I've used it on numerous occasions to do things with the Kindle that I couldn't work out on my own.

I recommend it as an essential first book to get on your device & for heavens sake keep it there as you can sneak a few minutes here and a couple of minutes of reading there ..

Apparently this is one of the best ways of taking in written instructions and keeping them in your head as useable knowledge..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3