Profile for Machtelt Garrels > Reviews

Polymer Clay Gemstones-The Art of Deception
Polymer Clay Gemstones-The Art of Deception
by Kim Schlinke

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny to read, 4 Feb. 2016
I just loved the mix of story and examples. Amazing pictures.

Naissance Distilled Witch Hazel 500ml
Naissance Distilled Witch Hazel 500ml
Offered by Naissance

5.0 out of 5 stars Main ingredient for my eye-demakeup, 4 Feb. 2016
I'm using this to make an all-natural, no-sting eye demakeup that also removes waterproof makeup.

The Maria Thun Biodynamic Calendar 2016
The Maria Thun Biodynamic Calendar 2016
by Matthias Thun
Edition: Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener, 4 Feb. 2016
This little booklet is my first contact with biodynamic gardening. A real eye-opener. The stories make one curious about what else the moon and the planets are influencing. I'm not a believer in astrology and the likes, but as presented here, it really is worth a try to try and take into account on which days what to sow, especially since the cycle repeats itself every nine days or so.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2016 6:01 AM GMT

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars I am still using it regularly because it has so many good recipes., 17 Nov. 2014
I bought this book a while ago and it taught me evrything I needed to know about baking bread. After many years, I am still using it regularly because it has so many good recipes.

Fabric Manipulation: 150 Creative Sewing Techniques
Fabric Manipulation: 150 Creative Sewing Techniques
by Ruth Singer

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 17 Nov. 2014
Whoever gave this book 4 or 5 stars, did not try the instructions. I wanted to make the embellishment featuring on the front page (which is why I bought the book), but after several evenings lost in trying, did not manage without the help of a Japanese origami expert friend. I tried contacting the author for more info, but to no avail. Furthermore, the examples in most of the pictures are rather clumsy, if I was to finish projects like that, I would not be satisfied, let alone publish it. Rather a disappointment, the author has some good ideas, but is not quite getting there.

Crocheting on the Edge: Ribs and Bobbles* Ruffles* Flora* Fringes* Points and Scallops
by Nicky Epstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 10 May 2011
As with the other books in this series, half of the patterns are worthwhile and make the book a good investment, but the other half give me the feeling that I could have thought them up myself. I just bought the book to have the complete series, I knew it would be something of a disappointment. Luckily, I have a very imaginative mind, so I can think of some more interesting things to do than the examples shown in the pattern section.

Perfectly Paired: Designing Jewelry with Polymer and Metal Clays
Perfectly Paired: Designing Jewelry with Polymer and Metal Clays
by Patricia Kimle

5.0 out of 5 stars Original ideas, 30 Mar. 2011
This book inspired me to get more out of polymer clay and to start experimenting with combinations with other materials.
The only remark I have with this kind of book is about the introduction: for the Nth time it explains about all the tools you need to get started with polymer and silver clay. There should be a little book or web page about this, that everybody can just refer to. We would see books with more fun projects and less "yes I already know that" pages. But I have been crafting ever since I could use my hands, so I understand that this section should be in there somewhere so as not to frighten of beginning craftsters.

Felt, Fabric, and Fiber Jewelry: 20 Beautiful Projects to Bead, Stitch, Knot, and Braid
by Sherri Haab

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 Mar. 2011
I think I made almost every project from this book, and it certainly inspires to create variations. My mother, sisters and friends are very happy with those creations, they are the envy of everybody who sees them.

The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry (Dover Art Instruction)
The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry (Dover Art Instruction)
by Jay Hambidge

5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't they teach us these things any more?, 30 Mar. 2011
Written almost a century ago, this book is still a must for every art student. The composition of a painting used to be trial and error. I would try something, show it to the teacher, and he would say something on the lines of: "Good brush strokes, and I certainly love the colours, but you must think about the composition, too. It is not just a matter of starting to put something on your canvas and see where it leads you, you need to think about these things." And I would try again, and show it again, and sometimes it would be a good composition, and sometimes not. But I never knew why it was good or bad, because nobody ever explained about the rules of composition, it is a subject that has been discarded ever more since the arrival of "modern" art.
Reading this book was a revelation, and got me started to dig deeper into the subject of composition. Every student who tries to understand any form of graphical expression should read it, the sooner, the better. It is a real eye-opener.

Meg and Mog
Meg and Mog
by Helen Nicoll
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun for the parents as for the children, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Meg and Mog (Board book)
My son loves it every time Meg makes something explode, every time someone gets the cauldron on their head and generally when things go bang and clang. All the Meg and Mog stories are brilliantly original, but the bangs and clangs make them very recognizable and link them all together.
I wrote translations for the spells in pencil between the lines, so that I don't have to make them up every time I read the book to my son, which is about 12 times per day.
This book was a present from a friend in the UK and introduced the Med and Mog stories into our home. I just had to have them all!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3