Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Colossus (Colossus Trilogy Book 1)
Colossus (Colossus Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but a great core story, 10 Dec. 2015
I'd never heard of Colossus, or of DF Jones, until recently and I wasn't sure it would be worth reading. After all, the 'saviour machine' idea wasn't new even then, in the late 60s, when the novel was first published. But despite the naiveties of the initial setup, there was something gripping about the story that kept me hanging on until the end. I'd expected the usual type of resolution but found the dystopic ending quite powerfully impressive, with one or two (uncharacteristically, for the time) gritty moments along the way. Colossus is now labelled as a trilogy, but I'd be surprised if it began life that way - I suspect at the time each book was produced on the merits of its predecessor.

One point I will make is that reading the synopses of each volume of such a part-work frequently gives away the ending of the previous volumes. I wish whoever writes these would just gently steer the reader toward the first instalment - after all, if the story is straightforward linear narrative, why would you begin half-way through?

Priority Thinking - a guide to quick and accurate decision-making at the backgammon board

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read - worth buying., 18 July 2015
As has already been pointed out, there is a lack of justification and explanation for these principles which makes some of the text slightly puzzling.

This is not for the beginner but is an interesting piece of insight for those who have more than a casual interest in the game. It's just a pity it's not a bit longer.

Seven Unholy Days: A Thriller
Seven Unholy Days: A Thriller

2.0 out of 5 stars What a pity, 7 Jun. 2015
I can't carry on with this book any more. While the basic premise (cyber terrorists attack the power grid of the United States) is excellent, and the incidental descriptive writing is also very good, the characters and the dialogue are not only laughable but also wildly frustrating. This could have been a really good book but it's not. Such a shame.

The God Complex: A Thriller
The God Complex: A Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected, 5 Jun. 2015
I'm now used to picking up self-published thrillers only to find the writing sadly lacking in quality. This, however, was different. I've no idea who Murray McDonald is, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't gain a solid reputation for himself - if he hasn't already got one.

It's taut, fast-paced and keeps your attention - all the things you'd hope for in a book that you're supposed to find exciting. Good characterisation and well-planned sequencing in a story that isn't obvious and won't be anticipated from the beginning.

The only criticism I'd make is that it loses focus a little towards the end - I think maybe Murray painted himself into a corner by being so good for the first three-quarters that he perhaps found it difficult to sustain right to the end.

I'd recommend this to anyone who's looking for a good read with a sci-fi bent.

Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller: book 1
Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller: book 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not quite there, 3 Nov. 2014
I enjoyed this, but hadn't realised it was part of a trilogy so I'm a little disappointed by the ending. I have to say I didn't find it gripping enough to rush out for the next instalment (I may get it in the future but the idea of a final third volume is a bit off-putting), but it's pretty well-written and informed. Certainly topical, anyway. I do think that the author could have got a really good single volume out of this story, although serials seem to be his modus operandi.

Free Cartoons Now Pro
Free Cartoons Now Pro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to see, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Free Cartoons Now Pro (App)
Cartoons are still a greatly underrated art form and these are timeless classics that I love watching with my two children. Brilliant to have them permanently.

Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s
Man on the Run: Paul McCartney in the 1970s

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid read, 6 Sept. 2014
If you're at all interested in Paul McCartney, this is a really good dissection of his post-Beatles output, with lots of quotes. Thought the gigography at the end was totally superfluous, but that's probably just me. Definitely worth a read.

The Cruelest Game
The Cruelest Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Cruelest Game (Kindle Edition)
Very good backgammon atmosphere, reasonable backstory if a slightly farfetched ending. But it was certainly entertaining and I'd certainly recommend it. Be interested to see more by the same author.

Kingmaker
Kingmaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, interesting, kept my attention right to the end., 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
After reading this I'd be interested in reading anything that Christian Cantrell has written. Totally inverted the scifi/spy genre with a background that's both relevant and quite possibly prophetic. Hope Hollywood picks this up - it would make a great film.

King Solomon's Mines
King Solomon's Mines

4.0 out of 5 stars The most rattlingest of rattling good yarns..., 13 Jan. 2014
I can't believe I've never read this before. It's pacy, exciting and has the great benefit of being written in a direct style that is quite modern and very appropriate to the content - not like the flowery eruditions of some of its contemporaries. It should be noted that while some of the attitudes expressed within would never see print today, they ought to be expected and should be taken in context - not like the casual and extremely unpleasant racism of the Doctor Syn books, for example.

Don't let any of that put you off, though - what a great story!

That's it for me - probably off to read She next...

Page: 1 | 2