Profile for Mr. RCS Young > Reviews

Content by Mr. RCS Young

Mr. RCS Young "rcsy" (Camberley, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Anker PowerPort 6 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia, Motorola and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars phones etc it's always in use and is massively better than the usual bun fight over who has what ..., 30 Sept. 2015
This is exactly what I needed. My wife said that we didn't need this but with kids tablets, phones etc it's always in use and is massively better than the usual bun fight over who has what plugged in.

LG G Watch R Smartwatch - Black
LG G Watch R Smartwatch - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful but battery life halved after 9 months. Not impressed., 23 Feb. 2015
I've had this for about 2-3 weeks now and I have to say that while I've yet to really exploit all the functionality I am really enjoying my new watch.

It's genuinely useful for starters. All the notifications that your phone has appear on your watch and you can limit those to just important ones etc.

It's really nice not having to constantly check your phone for updates and it's easy cycling through the various options - in fact I'd go so far as to say it's intuitive once you know which way to swipe.

Applications specifically for Andriod Wear are still a bit light but it's been fantastic discovering existing apps that also work with my watch.

- My Nationwide banking app will show me my account balance if I unlock that option
- Google Maps works really nicely
- My calendar notifications and alarms are possibly the most useful thing on the watch
- Evernote has some nice options that work with it

Probably the nicest surprise was being able to pause my Sonos system from my watch. Really simple and I think as the latest Android update puts more stuff on the lock screen more apps will start displaying things that will be Android Wear friendly.

The only thing that I've bought for it is the Pujie Black watch face which is superb. It displays a range of options but the most useful for me are the battery status of the watch and of my phone.

Speaking of the battery life the phone lasts pretty effortlessly for two days though I leave the screen off unless I touch it which I'm sure makes a difference. If I turn it off at night then it lasts for three days unless I'm doing lots of navigation or it's been a particularly heavy day for notifications.

The only problem I had was when I thought that it had stopped working. As it turns out I'd turned "cinema mode" on which stops all notifications and turns the screen off unless you use the hardware button. PICNIC*

The only other feature that seems to be a bit patchy is the heart rate monitor but that seems to be down to strap tightness more than anything else.

Otherwise it's been pretty faultless and I know what my 10,000 steps a day is supposed to feel like!

So if you've been wondering whether or not it's a good idea then it has definitely made a difference to me - mainly in the usability of my phone. And they're bringing out a metal one soon which will look even nicer.

One happy watch owner.

Even if it has one of the clunkiest product names ever.

* PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Computer

------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - Nine months on and I've had to take two stars off because the battery performance has gone from two days to one day. Based on that sort of performance I've had to buy a spare docking station and the watch is always on charge. I still like the watch but I'm getting really frustrated with the declining battery. Last night I set it to cinema mode at 34% and 6 hours later it was dead having not been connected to anything and not displayed anything. Not impressed. If I could return the watch at this stage then I would as the watch may well be useless in another six months which would make it a pretty expensive mistake.

Contigo® AUTOSEAL® Stainless Steel Travel Mug GREEN (Vacuum Insulated)
Contigo® AUTOSEAL® Stainless Steel Travel Mug GREEN (Vacuum Insulated)

3.0 out of 5 stars Was high quality, didn't leak - no longer, 24 April 2014
This was a superb travel mug for two years - a five star product. We went through a few before finding this one and it didn't leak, it maintained the temperature of the drink for a long time and was very sturdy. I was happy to recommend it.

That's no longer the case. Two years in the autoseal mechanism has failed and it leaks - a lot. The cup was not heavily used, maybe once or twice a week depending on the number of football practises our kids had. We now have an expensive metal cup.

We contacted the distributors and they shrugged their shoulders and told us to buy a new lid. Really quite disappointed.

Gear4 Cardock FM Follow Me for iPod/iPhone FM Transmitter PG361
Gear4 Cardock FM Follow Me for iPod/iPhone FM Transmitter PG361

2.0 out of 5 stars OK while it worked, pretty poor otherwise, 14 Jan. 2013
I had the predecessor to this which although it was bulkier was rock solid. I was hoping for more of the same.

Initially I was pleased as my iPod Touch plugged in easily and the information about the song scrolled across the display in my car. So far so good. Less pleasing was the inability to choose your own FM frequency. The CarDock does that itself automatically which sounds like a good idea if it worked well. Sadly it doesn't.

As a result I haven't used it much. About a year on from purchasing it I found myself doing longer journeys and started to use it again complete with the irritations. After a further six months of on off use it now won't work for longer than 2 minutes before it loses the FM signal or stops getting power altogether.

So now I'm looking for a new way to listen to my iPod in the car but I'm pretty sure that the next one won't be another Cardock.

Southern Stomps
Southern Stomps

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Southern Stomps (Audio CD)
I bought this because of the song "Some sweet day" which my parents love - a bitter sweet song recorded later in Turk's life. The album is worth it for that song alone for me but the rest of the album is wonderful. I'm no connoisseur of jazz but this is exactly what I like - a lovely blend of traditional and dixieland jazz that lifts the spirit every time you hear it.

Bluetooth Wireless Leather Keyboard Case for iPad 2, iPad 3 and New iPad 4 - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and bulky, 24 Aug. 2012
I really liked the idea of having a proper keyboard for the iPad and this seemed like an excellent option. I bought one based on the reviews but was not prepared for what appears to be one of the left over ZX Spectrum keyboards. Really soft keys and a general feeling of low quality IMO.

I had a few goes at getting it to pair with the iPad3 and when that finally worked I found that the entire top row of letters didn't type. Combine this with the flimsy feel of the keyboard and the issues that I had with getting it to pair and I have returned it using Amazon's excellent service for a refund.

If you get a good one like the previous reviewers then it may well do the job for you but if you are expecting a keyboard with firm key pads like a laptop then you will be disappointed. It also makes the iPad feel really bulky and gets in the way when you are just using the iPad normally.

Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Another happy customer, 14 Aug. 2012
I don't have a great deal to add to the previous reviews other than to add my voice to those that are very satisfied with their purchase. Really high quality sound, both music and voice, with none of the echo that is often associated with VOIP conversations. They are easy to set up for any of the IP communication channels that you might need (including the company softphone). The only regret is that I can't use these excellent headphones for my iPod due to the USB interface.

Brother MFC-J625DW A4 All-in-One Wireless Colour Inkjet Printer
Brother MFC-J625DW A4 All-in-One Wireless Colour Inkjet Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value printer, 15 July 2012
I purchased this printer after having numerous issues trying to get a Canon printer to work with my Virgin Superhub. Despite being about half the price of the canon this plugged straight in (it supports dynamic ip addresses) and has been something of a revelation. It's relatively small as these things go, does not drink ink like many seem to and has a great eco mode that means that you can pretty much leave it on all the time and it will essentially be sleeping until you need it. The print quality is perfectly adequate though if you want superior printing then maybe spend more money on something that will deliver that.
The only gripes would be that the setup isn't particularly smooth - lots of different installs run. It's not difficult, just slightly clunky. And the feel of it doesn't radiate quality but then it's a value printer. And to be honest it just works and I'll take that any day over something that looks and feels great but doesn't actually do the job.
Top marks to Brother - I wouldn't have even considered you if you hadn't responded to my Tweet asking for people to recommend a printer that worked with Dynamic IP addresses. Congratulations on a great piece of kit.

Honda VFR800 V-Fours Service and Repair Manual: 1997 to 2001 (Haynes Service and Repair Manuals)
by Matthew Coombs

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual excellent standard, 19 Jun. 2012
Haynes manuals encourage me to take on things that I've never done before. Having them as a reference is always helpful and I strongly advise them for anyone that plans on self-servicing their machine.

Dragon's Time (Dragonriders of Pern (Paperback))
Dragon's Time (Dragonriders of Pern (Paperback))
by Todd McCaffrey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Drastically past it's sell by date, 19 Jun. 2012
I really love the world of Pern that Anne McCaffrey created. I loved the ideas and I love the characters. Sadly the ideas have gone and all that's left since Todd McCaffrey got involved is this drip feed of mediocre writing (I'm being nice) which is tarnishing what was once a fabulous series.

This book is only two stars because it's a story about Pern and I can't bring myself to give it one star - but that's all it really deserves. There are no new ideas and the characters are flat. Where they're not they are essentially cut and pasted from the good books. I'd rather re-read the original six books and enjoy the excellent work that has gone before than read another one of these.

Enough is enough - save your money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6