Profile for cowdry > Reviews

Clever Dog: The Secrets Your Dog Wants You to Know
Clever Dog: The Secrets Your Dog Wants You to Know
by Sarah Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jan. 2012
A wonderful book. Full of truths and insights, as well as blowing apart the myths that cause dogs to be understood. Am recommending it to all my dog loving friends.

The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
by Lynne McTaggart

4.0 out of 5 stars another good book from Lynne Mc Taggart, 12 Sept. 2011
After reading the authors previous works I wondered if The Bond would live up to her high standard of writing. I am not dissapointed, this is another book to relish reading and with much to learn from. It really stimulates my thinking and provides many interesting insights into how we are all connected.

Communication With All Life: How To Understand And Talk To Animals
Communication With All Life: How To Understand And Talk To Animals
by Joan Ranquet

4.0 out of 5 stars good content, 12 Sept. 2011
I ordered several animal communication books and find this one a really good read, that mixes great stories with advice and tips.

Animal Insight - Changing Lives through Animal Communication with The Animal Psychic
by Jackie Weaver

2.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, 12 Sept. 2011
I bought this book anticipating that I would learn how to communicate with animals, but the book is just a collection of stories about the authors work.I sent it back and got some books that mix stories with practical advice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 1:19 PM GMT

How to Raise the Perfect Dog
How to Raise the Perfect Dog
by Cesar Millan

1.0 out of 5 stars unqualified advice, 10 April 2011
In equal measure I was dissapointed and horrified by the content of this book.

In fact some of CM's methods are downright dangerous. A choke collar should never ever be put onto a puppy - or any dog for that matter , they should be banned as they cut off the air supply and damage the windpipe.

The Alpha male idea has long been discredited by science qualified people who study dogs, so no idea why CM still talks about this old fashioned approach. There is no such thing as an alpha dog !

What CM teaches confuses and terrifies dogs and would lead your puppy to not like you.

All in all a book that promises much but delivers out dated ideas and in some cases dangerous advice, and advice that would ruin the bond between you and your puppy.

There are much better and safer books around, such as those written by a vet or by Gwen Bailey.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 8:47 AM BST

The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
by Linda Kohanov

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Feb. 2011
This is one of the books about horses that has triggered a shift towards realising that they are amazing animals who can help humans shift their consciousness. It shifted my awareness about horses. Linda has certainly done some pioneering work. The story behind her journey is interesting to read.

The book can be a bit hard going in places though, for my taste a bit too complex in the way that ideas are described, and can be too ' wordy '. I prefer a more direct approach, so there were times when I had to put the book down and pick it up another day. Otherwise I would have given the book five stars as it is groundbreaking in it's topic.

The Power Of Intention: Change The Way You Look At Things And The Things You Look At Will Change: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way
by Dr Wayne W. Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Feb. 2011
I read this book when my life was muddled and stressful. It really helped me to revise my thinking, and to become a clearer channel for connecting to the universe's messages. Lots of common sense tips in this book as well as thoughtful insights, which have certainly changed the way I approach life and relationships.

After initially having read the book through, I now frequently dip into it when I feel the need for inspiration or guidance. It's amazing how I can open the book randomly and get an answer to a problem.

I also like the author's writing style and the way he explains complex concepts in an easy to follow way. All round excellent .

Lynne McTaggarts 'The Power of Intention' , is also a recommended read on this topic.

The Animal Manifesto: Ten Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
The Animal Manifesto: Ten Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
by Marc Bekoff

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 18 Feb. 2011
Marc Bekoff has pioneered the treatment and understanding of animals as sentient beings, and this book tells us just why we should respect all creatures. Because ultimately what humans do to other beings and to the planet they do to themselves. A beautifully written and thought provoking book.

I love this book for it's truth, heart and vision.

Angel Pets: Incredible True Stories of Animal Miracles
Angel Pets: Incredible True Stories of Animal Miracles
by Margrit Coates

5.0 out of 5 stars all round wow factor, 18 Feb. 2011
Superbly written book in the style that is typical of this amazing author - soul insights. She truly understands how animals think and feel. Angel Pets has the best stories I have ever read about animal communication and healing, and all of them true, mostly about the authors astonishing life as an animal communicator and healer. I can understand why she is considered the world leader in this field.

The book title is a bit misleading I personally think, this is not a read about animal angels on fluffy clouds or just spirit pets ( although there is a chapter about pets who watch over us from the after life, with real life evidence) , this is a book about the sentience of pets and how they communicate telepathically to us all the time. How we can tune in on this level and talk back so that we have the best possible relationship with them.

I was moved to read about the pets that have tuned in telepathically and saved people's lives, including the authors own cat , who helped her recover when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The story about the rabbit Twinkle who saved a litte girl is truly astonishing...and the Christmas deer story is amazing too.

This book has the all round wow factor !

Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals
Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals
by Kristen Leigh Bell

1.0 out of 5 stars warning of toxicity, 10 Mar. 2010
As a qualified aromatharapy practitioner I know that essential oils can be toxic to animals, especially cats. This book does not give enough warning about making checks or safe guards, even if pets are only sniffing oils.

Oils are highly volatile and their use should be with greaty care. For this reason in the UK it's the law that aromatherapy oils may not be prescribed or recommended for an animal unless by a vet.

The best safegaurd for your pet or horse is to consult a holistic vet before using aromatherapy oils, as some nasty side effects can occur leaving a pet very ill indeed - or even result in death. Side effects may not manifest immdediately, such as with liver or kidney toxicity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 8:06 PM GMT