Profile for Librarydragon > Reviews

I Let You Go
I Let You Go
by Clare Mackintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 14 Jan. 2016
This review is from: I Let You Go (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It had me hooked from the very beginning and I found it hard to put down. The blurb on the back was a bit ambiguous which made me wonder a little but then I thought I was wrong, then I thought I didn't know what to think! Anyway, it was a very good read. I'd have given it five stars apart from the ending, I thought it was unlikely and the story didn't need it. But leaving that aside, it was a great read and I'd definitely read another from this author.

The Collector
The Collector
by Nora Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to write home about, 16 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Collector (Paperback)
This is the first Nora Roberts book I've read, and I was hopeful that I might find another author to like. Not from this story, though. I found it a little
uncomfortable that Lila, the main character, was openly spying into other people's windows. She even had her own set of binoculars - not an endearing character trait, really. I didn't really warm to Lila, she seemed a rather strange and almost belligerent person. But leaving that aside, the story got going well enough; unfortunately it quickly started to sag rather badly. Lila witnessed a murder, and reported it to the police. As a consequence, she met Ash, the extremely attractive brother of the murdered man, who were members of a fabulously wealthy family. The paid assassin was trying to track down a missing Faberge egg and assumed that Lila and Ash could help with this quest, and they found themselves
targets. The story included quite a lot of historical detail about Russian Tsars and Faberge eggs; but the rest of it floundered around taking a long time to get anywhere at all, with a lot of tedious detail that we could have done without. Do we really need to know about shopping trips, short white jackets and green leather sandals ...? I found the middle section almost boring and I skimmed through parts of it. It picked up again towards the end but I was glad to get done with it.

The Dilemma
The Dilemma
by Penny Vincenzi

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual standard, 9 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Dilemma (Paperback)
I've read several of this author's books and enjoyed them. The 'Spoils of Time' trilogy was excellent. This one was not. It was okay, but no more than that. It dragged rather in several places, something I haven't found at all in her other books. All the talk of high finance and insider dealing began to bore me. Francesca as the third wife ought to have known at least some of the problems she would be facing but didn't seem to have seen any of them coming - what a nitwit. And she allowed him to keep his business life completely separate and secret for far too long. Grow a pair, Francesca! The lie he asked her to tell was like a damp squib, in my opinion. It wouldn't have given me sleepless nights at any rate. Perhaps I don't have many scruples. Another thing that irritated me was how many men seemed to use hankies - I thought they had ceased to exist years ago, yet they were constantly being produced and lent out to weeping females. Not one of her best, but I'll still read others by her.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid., 2 Sept. 2015
This garment is nothing like it looks on the picture. It is much darker in colour and the fabric is very thin. The hood is described as 'detachable'. 'Detached' would be a better word as I can't see how to attach it. It is also very small. I ordered a size larger than I would normally but even a thin sleeved top underneath it makes the sleeves feel too tight. It is awful. It's gone in the charity bag with the label still attached.

House of Echoes
House of Echoes
by Barbara Erskine

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but could have been better, 9 July 2015
This review is from: House of Echoes (Paperback)
I downloaded this onto my Kindle to read whilst on holiday, and it did make good holiday reading. I enjoyed it, but I found the pace way too slow, and although it picked up quite a bit towards the end, there was no dramatic climax or fight between good and evil. I thought it ended more with a whimper than a bang.
Joss, adopted when she was very small, was looking for her birth mother. She found out that she had inherited an enormous house which had been left to stand untouched for several years, but handily was ok to move into. That was very lucky as she and her husband were about to experience some serious financial problems. I didn't particularly like Joss, I found her a bit wet - why was everybody constantly telling her to lie down and rest? She was only pregnant, for goodness sake! Other aspects didn't ring quite true either - Joss and Luke, on the edge of bankruptcy with no visible means of support somehow managed to employ not one person but two - that's a good trick to pull off! And Lyn, Joss's sister who was employed as a nanny, seemed to be expected to do all the other household chores as well, so that Joss could 'rest'. Joss did manage to get out and about when it suited her, though.
There were some interesting threads in the story that could have been made more of, and it's a pity they were just left to fizzle out and the story devoted to the main thread of the family living in the (utterly massive) hall.
There was much talk amongst the locals about the house, even from respectable sources like the local vicar and various published histories, and Luke and Lyn's dogged resistance to believe that there might be a grain of truth in them began to grate after a while - how much evidence do you need before you even consider that you could be wrong? Personally, if I thought there was even a remote possibility that the lives or wellbeing of my children could be at risk I would certainly take it seriously.

But having said that, it was a very readable story although with a bit more effort it could have been much more so.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2015 2:06 PM BST

Dead Lovely
Dead Lovely
by Helen FitzGerald

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead awful, 20 May 2015
This review is from: Dead Lovely (Paperback)
I read this book very quickly. It's not that long a read, and I finished it in two days. The story centred around two women who have been best friends ever since they were small, and find themselves in the situation that each of them has something that the other wants. It was readable, and I thought it was a good idea, but it didn't really work for me. The book reads partly in the first person by one narrator and the rest in third person from the point of view of other characters. The hook was in very quickly which is always good, but it failed to deliver on its early promise. I didn't like the first person character, she was a total slapper from the very beginning - characters need to have some redeeming features in order for the reader to feel some empathy at least, and I felt this lady didn't have a single one. The others weren't particularly likeable either. The blurb on the back said it was a black comedy, and it did have some darkly amusing moments but those were few and far between. As the story went on, it went from unlikely to unbelievable to 'oh give me a break! Overall I thought it was pretty awful and I'd say choose something else.

Love on the Rocks
Love on the Rocks
by Veronica Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but enjoyable story, 15 April 2015
This review is from: Love on the Rocks (Paperback)
The term 'chick-lit' could have been coined for this book. Having said that, I enjoyed it. As other people have said, it's a good holiday read that you can pick up or leave lying if you've got something better to do! It was easy to see the direction it was heading in from fairly early on but that's ok - it was a pleasant journey heading there. The blurb on the back made it sound rather more interesting than it actually was, as the hints of 'an arch-rival' and 'sabotage' were hardly more than red herrings in the event. But it was a nice story with a happy ending which is always nice. I may read more of hers, if my daughter gives them to me like she did this one ...

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret
by Liane Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was cleverly written, with the way it introduced the main characters one after the other, seemingly without a connection to each other, then gradually drew them together. The secret itself is revealed fairly early on in the book, but the story is about what happened then. I liked the style, which was chatty, natural and easy to read. I also liked the short chapters, although they could be considered a disadvantage as I found myself thinking 'just one more chapter' instead of putting it down and getting on with other things! A good read, about ordinary people who have to deal with extraordinary things. I'll definitely read more from this author.

Keep It In The Family
Keep It In The Family

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 26 Feb. 2015
If you’ve ever thought you’re part of a dysfunctional family, relax – you’ve got nothing on this bunch! I enjoyed this book. It tells the tale of a misguided effort by one member of a family to collect all the family together under one roof for a fairy-tale Christmas. Which it is, in a way – although more Brothers Grimm than Hans Christian Anderson!! The story begins in summer with the idea, and as the year moves on relentlessly towards Christmas, we realise just how much of a car-crash this will be. Everyone has Agendas. They all seem to dislike each other with varying degrees of intensity but just like in real-life families they pretend nothing could be further from the truth and they would just love to spend Christmas together. It builds up steam nicely and we can see all the threads of deceit heading full-tilt towards disaster. It is light-hearted but some of the problems the family members have are very real. It is an entertaining read and I thought the ending was very neat.

Divergent Trilogy boxed Set (books 1-3) (Divergent Trilogy)
Divergent Trilogy boxed Set (books 1-3) (Divergent Trilogy)
by Veronica Roth

2.0 out of 5 stars I hope the film is better than the books, 5 Jan. 2015
I'm not the target audience for this series but I enjoy the 'dystopian society' type of story, so since it had been compared favourably to 'The Hunger Games' I bought the trilogy on a whim. My first disappointment was that it is written in the present tense, a thing that seems to be fashionable at the moment but I can't see the attraction or necessity for it at all. But having got past that, I did mostly enjoy the first book. The other two I found slow and, in the main, boring. The story didn't gel for me, it had no framework and gave me no real idea of how this society was supposed to work. As for a group of people that jump off moving trains, leap across roofs and so on, purely to see if they can - and sometimes they couldn't and lost their lives for nothing - seemed to me to be a pretty pointless way of life. I couldn't decide if even they knew who or what they were rebelling against; they were supposed to be friends and allies but they were a very secretive bunch. I found myself speed-reading the second volume and I actually gave up on the third one and skipped straight to the end, a thing I virtually never do. It wasn't a patch on 'The Hunger Games'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2017 9:07 AM BST