Profile for Chantal Patton > Reviews

Content by Chantal Patton

Chantal Patton

Long Soft & Absorbent Extra Plush Rubber Backed Non Slip Bath Or Shower Mat 66cm x 120cm - Hot Fuchsia Pink
Offered by PinkWebShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker colour but still great, 19 Oct. 2014
I'm really happy with this as a bath mat - it's a really good size and nice and soft underfoot. However the colour's quite different to what it looks like on here, so just wanted to let other potential buyers know that. I was expecting quite a bright and vivid pink, like in the photo, which would have matched my towels. However it's much darker and a bit more red in colour. It is a really nice colour and I'm still really happy with it, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag - Flash Blue
Kipling Women's Reth Shoulder Bag - Flash Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travelling, 27 Jan. 2014
I bought this bag to take travelling with me for 5 months, across Europe and Asia. I needed something big enough to keep all my day-to-day items in (including a 7" tablet computer), but small enough to be easily portable. I was hugely impressed by just how much I could fit in it - a lot more than you'd expect by looking at it - it has some Mary Poppins qualities! I'd generally carry around my tablet, my camera, my purse, my sunglasses, my passport, my phone, a small notepad and pen, a bottle of sunscreen, some bug spray, plus a few other bits and pieces.

I used the bag every day for 5 months and it's still in great condition - no broken zips or holes or anything like that, it's very sturdy. Plus you can wear it across the body, which is useful for added safety while travelling.

The colour's described as 'flash blue', but I'd personally say it was more purple than blue. Still, it's as it appears on the photo on here, so I was very happy with the colour.

I will definitely buy more Kipling bags in the future.

Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB A100 7 inch Tablet (Tegra 250 Dual cortex A9, 1GB RAM, 8GB HDD, Bluetooth, Wireless, Android v3.2 Honeycomb)

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy without an extended warranty, 27 Jan. 2014
I spent a long time researching models of 7" tablets before finally deciding on this one. The reviews were great and it seemed like a good spec for the price.

Initially I was really pleased with it. In fact I was totally happy with it for over a year - right up until it stopped working suddenly for no apparent reason. If you search online for 'iconia a100 bricked', you will see that a lot of people have had the same problem - almost always when the tablet has just gone past the 1 year warranty period - conveniently for Acer, but not for the consumer. I tried all sorts of things to try and get it working again, but it was no use.

As this has been such a common problem, it seems pretty fair to say that it is some kind of built in hardware flaw that should definitely be known to Acer by now. However I tried contacting Acer support and was told that there are no known issues with this model and that I would need to pay to get it fixed. After the amount I paid for it, only a year and a half ago, I'm not willing to pay more now in order to correct something that happened through no fault of my own.

I am incredibly disappointed by this poor level of customer service and won't be buying any Acer products ever again. I also felt compelled to write this review so that other people don't fall victim to this problem too.

It's a wonderful tablet, but only when it actually works!

Tir
Tir

5.0 out of 5 stars Land of Song, 6 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Tir (Audio CD)
In the Amazon blurb above, this is described as Cerys' fourth solo album. I guess that's sort of technically true (if you count 'Don't Look Down' and 'Paid Edrych I Lawr' as a joint 3rd album), but personally I see it as a separate project to her regular albums. It's an entity all of its own and a definite labour of love.

The CD comes in a hardback book of old sepia photographs, the lyrics to the songs and notes from Cerys. It's got a very personal feel and has obviously been produced by someone with a love of Wales and its history. This is evident in the songs as well - you can tell that Cerys really enjoys singing them. They're mostly quite short and sparsely arranged and if you close your eyes you can easily imagine you're sitting round an open fire in a cottage in North Wales, with Cerys sitting right next to you. You might have to stretch your imagination a little bit further when Bryn Terfel appears to sing on 'Migldi Magldi' (maybe he was making tea in the farmhouse kitchen! That would be one holiday you wouldn't forget...), but overall it has got a very warm and homely feel about it.

I'd recommend this album to anyone with a love or interest in Welsh traditional songs, as well as anyone who loves Cerys' voice of course as it really takes centre stage here.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2010 11:06 AM BST

London Town
London Town
Offered by dvd s r us

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic is the right word, 4 Jun. 2010
This review is from: London Town (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Ooberman I was always going to be interested in a new project from 2 of the members - in this case Dan Popplewell and Sophia Churney. Happily it doesn't disappoint. Sophie takes lead vocals, as she did on the 3rd Ooberman album, and her voice has never sounded better! 'Captivating' and 'enchanting' are the first words to spring to mind.

'The Magic Theatre' is a perfect name for the band. There's a definite sense of magic in the album, which is something that Ooberman have always done well - capturing a sense of innocence and wide-eyed wonder. Yet this isn't an Ooberman album, it's got its own distinctive style - it's far more theatrical, but not in some overblown grandiose manner, it's rooted in pop music with catchy tunes and relatable lyrics. It's quite a summery album and even the more introspective songs have a warmth and hopefulness about them that will leave you feeling upbeat and happy about life, like some kind of musical prozac (Note: this has not been medically proven!).

There's a good mix of upbeat and instantly catchy tracks like 'Steamroller' and 'London Town', plus more gentle and introspective tracks like 'Out There' and 'Silent Snow'. I'm one of the people lucky enough to have had this album since the end of last year and although I really liked it instantly, it's also been a real grower and I find myself loving it more and more all the time. It's definitely going to be a strong contender for my favourite album of the year.

Hikikomorai
Hikikomorai
Offered by actionrecords

5.0 out of 5 stars Hums to my tune, 2 July 2004
This review is from: Hikikomorai (Audio CD)
Sherbet Antlers are a Welsh supergroup consisting of Mark and Paul from Catatonia and Y Cyrff and Kevs and John from Llwybr Llaethog. The double A-side Hikikomorai/Let Yourself Go is their debut single. I highly recommend this single though find it quite difficult to describe.
Hikikomorai is an edgy, slightly punky tune with some electronic dance sounds thrown in to good effect. It's very catchy and grows on you the more you listen to it.
Let Yourself Go is more guitar based and a great indie-rock tune.
Generally imagine a big melting pot of the indie-pop of Catatonia, the punky edge of Y Cyrff and the electro sounds of Llwybr Llaethog. Throw in Mark's lyricism and a heap of originality and you'll find Sherbet Antlers.