Profile for Mary Gilbert > Reviews

Content by Mary Gilbert

Mary Gilbert

For Every Sin (Appelfeld, Aharon)
For Every Sin (Appelfeld, Aharon)
by Aharon Appelfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 27 Oct. 2013
This is Appelfeld at his best, haunting and provocative. He writes fantastically and I found this a book that stayed with me once it was finished, like so many of his others.

The Yeti Hunts: Travels Through Russia and Central Asia
The Yeti Hunts: Travels Through Russia and Central Asia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 27 Oct. 2013
Reporting in essay form is not a lost art! A great read at a great price too. Reporting from the wild east.

Are We There Yet? Travels with my frontline family
Are We There Yet? Travels with my frontline family
by Rosie Whitehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 11 May 2013
I simply loved this book! Funny and informative a must read for anyone with children, students trying to unravel post-89 Europe and anyone who is taking a trip to the continent.

Back Roads Northern & Central Italy (DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads)
Back Roads Northern & Central Italy (DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads)
by Gillian Arthur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 May 2013
This is a really useful book and I recommend it. I have used it on a number of trips to Italy and found it very informative. The hotels were excellent and the restaurants all served local dishes. It also really was back roads giving me a taste of the real Italy.

Fragile Empire: How Russia Fell in and Out of Love with Vladimir Putin
Fragile Empire: How Russia Fell in and Out of Love with Vladimir Putin
by Ben Judah

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 2 May 2013
I found this book highly readable. It is a fascinating and colourful account. It is different from any of the other books I have read on Russia as the author spent a considerable ammount of time in the regions and not just in Moscow. It is a vivid account that explains what has really been happening in Russia in the last decade. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in modern Russia and seeks an answer to why Putin has ruled so long and why the opposition have proved so ineffective. This is not a morality tale but written with considerable sensitivity.