Profile for Fiona Murphy > Reviews

Content by Fiona Murphy

Fiona Murphy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
To Love a Highland Rogue (Heart of a Scot Book 1)
To Love a Highland Rogue (Heart of a Scot Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Scottish Delight, 28 Aug. 2017
This was a fun and snappy read. Although our hero Logan and heroine Mayra were betrothed as children, neither wished for the future others had forced them into - until a chance happening saw one fall in love at first sight and the other unexpectedly fascinated by their betrothed. This story is a gentle unfolding of personalities, admiration, respect, friendship and love. Oh, and there is humour too, which brings additional warmth to the story. I always enjoy Collette's books so looked forward to this new series. Not as steamy as previous books and certainly not long enough (not that the story needed it). I just like Collette's work so want more, please!
If you have an hour or two, especially if it is raining outside, I recommend that you buy the book and settle down for a lovely, lovely afternoon: It will lift your spirits!

The Gentleman Who Loved Me (Heart of Enquiry Book 6)
The Gentleman Who Loved Me (Heart of Enquiry Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great finale, 25 Jun. 2017
This lovely book is the sixth and last of the perfectly readable series, Heart of Enquiry. I would suggest that readers new to Grace Callaway's work read her four book Mayhem in Mayfair series first as the Kent family and friends feature in both. I do prefer this idea rathe than stand alone books as I like to dive in to a series and make friends with their heroes and heroines. They are well written and beautifully steamy at times.
The hero of this story, Andrew Corbett would not perhaps initially be seen as the perfect gentleman and hero material as he was a former male prostitute, but Grace worked hard to successfully make him quite so: Andrew knew that he wanted more out of life for himself and his own efforts result in him becoming a successful businessman. And also, it was always going to take a very special person who can soothe Rosie who had been taken from her mother and later sold. A difficult childhood and youth followed, where she never felt that her life was 'right', in spite of her reunion with her mother and new family.
This story is about overcoming adversity and redemption though acceptance of one's own true desires and efforts. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am very happy to recommend it.

Confessions of a Dangerous Lord (Rescued from Ruin Book 7)
Confessions of a Dangerous Lord (Rescued from Ruin Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderfully entertaining read, 20 Jun. 2017
Having read Elisa's earlier books in her Rescued from Ruin series, I just knew that Confessions of a Dangerous Lord would be another thrilling read. And what a thriller it was! Having been introduced to Dunston in books 3 and 4, I hoped that this Lord would feature in his own story. Elisa wove Dunstan and Maureen's story with much empathy, giving us a hero who gives many years of his life in his fight against evil in London. The strength and integrity of Dunston is swoonworthy. (Yes, I know this is not a proper word!) His desire to protect the lovely Maureen from other suitors results in her wondering what is so wrong with her that she even considers her wardrobe, food and breath as possible culprits. But the truth is, the man loves her. However this is much more than a simple Regency romance. There is mystery, murder and mayhem, with a storyline from earlier books coming to its conclusion - or does it? You never know with Elisa's books as her plots are not just varied, but intriguing. I guess that anyone reading this review can see that I am again impressed by strong heroes and I am so grateful that Elisa has succeeded in Dustan's tale. But I also love my heroines to be strong and loveable. Maureen is certainly this. From the start I was drawn into the story which continually builds pace and felt that I was in the setting with the characters, not just someone who reads the book. THAT is what makes a good book: Captured from the start by wonderful characters and strong storyline, you become part of the book. And realise that you just cannot wait for the next in the series! Again, I cannot recommend the book - and indeed the series - more highly.

Twelve Nights as His Mistress (Rescued from Ruin Book 6)
Twelve Nights as His Mistress (Rescued from Ruin Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another masterpiece!, 2 Dec. 2016
I am so very delighted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading Elisa Braden's sixth book in the Rescued from Ruin series. If I have one very tiny grumble it be that this was just an novella! I wanted to read more and more! I fell in love with Charles Bainbridge (mind you, I have done so with ALL of Elisa's heroes!) and would have liked to read more of him. Well, who would not want to de desired as much as Charles loved Julia? He was entirely delicious, although I have come to expect that of Elisa's heroes. And her leading ladies? Beautiful in nature and determined, full of character and charm. Julia Wiloughby was a lovely heroine and fully deserved the attentions of the Marquiss of Wallingham. This was a pretty steamy book compared to Elisa's previous stories, but I thought it right for this storyline and loved it. My recommendation? Get a copy, get rid of the family, lock the door, pour a glass of your favourite tipple and enjoy thoroughly! This deserves more than 5 stars.

The Circle Eight: Benjamin
The Circle Eight: Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book to End a Masterpiece of a Series, 16 Sept. 2016
Having read the previous books in the Citcle Eight series, I expected a lot from this one. Emma Lang did not let me down. Benjamin's story was always going to be the last in the series and would not be easy to write. To recover from his horrific experiences in childhood Ben needed a lot of help. His family always included him in their love and thoughts, both while in capture and once returned to their folds. But that was not enough. His experiences resulted in anguish and anger that remained with him until he met Grace. She persuades him to help recover her own little boy who had also been kidnapped and taken to the compound in Mexico where Ben had been imprisoned for five years. This affords him the chance to atone for his deeds and to try to find redemption from his nightmares. I was so happy to read of his success and the triumph of family love over the years of horror for all the siblings and their families. Thank you Emma for the tears I shed - yes, another bucketful by the end of the book!

The Circle Eight: Nicholas
The Circle Eight: Nicholas

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 15 Sept. 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Circle Eight series so far. To be honest I could not have said which book I liked most so far. But now I can. This tale of Nicholas and Winnie was simply wonderful. Full of characters we have come to know and love, it is so nice in a series to have this. But what makes this book extra special? I wept throughout. And I don't often weep. The plot returns to the themes of family love and care, the life and difficult times of Texas in the first half of the 19th century, and the welfare of children. Winnie's childhood was horrendous. She was daughter of an awful man whose treatment of her led to her prostitution and giving her daughter away at the age of 16. Nicholas was also a very troubled young man but together they began to heal each other and find Winnie's daughter who had spent most of her 9 years in care until she was sold to a shopkeeper and was essentially his slave.
This story of discovery, and blossoming love within this new family had its tender moments and its passionate moments, but it was a thrilling tale too as Nicholas and Winnie try to find the little girl. I just loved this book. It was a dammed good read and a story I shall re read again for sure.

When a Girl Loves an Earl (Rescued from Ruin Book 5)
When a Girl Loves an Earl (Rescued from Ruin Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars ELISA Braden: Queen of Regency Romance, 30 Aug. 2016
This story features James Kilbrenner, Lord Tannenbrook and Miss Viola Darling. She truly is a wee darling while James is a large hulk of a man, stern, moody and completely determined to avoid Viola, never mind not become enamoured of her. And oh, how the mighty fell! This story is both poignant and full of wit - much of which is again provided by the indomitable Lady Wallingham. It is always reassuring and simply nice to meet again secondary characters from previous books. Not only does it contribute to the feel of a series but let's us know how previous heroes and heroines are doing.
Elisa's command of language is exquisite and, as a Scot, I was so pleased in her 'guid' use of the Scottish brogue! A huge thanks for that, ELISA! I loved that James never forgot his humble roots but had the depth of character and integrity to accept his lot when propelled into the aristocracy when he inherited his English title, accepting the challenges he would face. How amusing then that little, enticing Viola proved to be too much of a challenge for James. And how wonderful that, in spite of their differences, James and Viola make the perfect couple - a marriage of a tiny butterfly of a girl to a large, solid hunk. I cannot recommend When a Girl Loves an Earl enough and eagerly look forward to ELISA Braden's next offering. As soon as you can, please, ELISA! (And thank you for the offer of an ARC, although I read my pre-ordered copy as I did not want to read it in bits. Elisa's books are too good for that!

The Edge of Armageddon (Matt Drake Book 13)
The Edge of Armageddon (Matt Drake Book 13)

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster of a read, 2 Aug. 2016
Just as I would be dizzy and breathless from a roller coaster ride, the Edge of Armageddon was full of excitement. I could hardly put it down until I finished reading because of the speed in the action. It was non stop. David Leadbeater's efforts in books 12 and 13 of the Matt Drake series have proved to be so worth it. Entertaining from the first word to the last. Fantastic, wonderful. Entertainment at its best. Thanks, David!

The Last Bazaar (Matt Drake Book 12)
The Last Bazaar (Matt Drake Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece from the King of Adventure, 1 Aug. 2016
Loved this! It is hard to believe, when you are reading the twelfth book in a series, that David Leadbeater not only continues to provide the thrills and spills we so appreciate, but gets better with every book. The Last Bazzar was fast paced and thoroughly engrossing. I don't know why, but I put off reading this book. Having just finished it I am immediately moving on to the next, so I can discover how our heroes and heroines manage to save the world - again. Speaking of heroines, I cannot decide which I prefer - Mai or Alicia. I love them both. But, David must like his feisty warrior ladies as he introduced yet another of their ilk in Kenzie. I do hope she is a regular feature in the series too.

Night of Fire (The St. Ives Family series Book 2)
Night of Fire (The St. Ives Family series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 25 May 2016
I love books. I love romances, especially historical fiction. I also love Shakespeare. In Night of Fire I found a magical story that gave me what I like in a book - beautiful souls in the hero and heroine and a way with words that lift and inspire me. This tale was magical. Cassandra's marriage was so brutal that she savours her widowhood and cannot think to ever experience passion and love. Basilio is the Italian Count with whom she has been corresponding by letter and the gentle poet invites her to visit his beloved Tuscany. Neither expects to find a beautiful person and immediately their friendship is at risk from something altogether more passion filled. As both discover love they know too that their togetherness must be fleeting as he is betrothed to another. This could almost be a Shakespearan tragedy, but I was so relieved that their ending was better than that of Romeo and Juliet's.( I preferred this to book One in the St Ives series, but would recommend that too!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4