Profile for Takemasa Wakuta > Reviews

Content by Takemasa Wakuta

Takemasa Wakuta (Osaka, Japan)

The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller
The Modfather: My Life with Paul Weller
by David Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-fiction about a boy adoring THE JAM, 25 Aug. 2007
I, even a Japanese The Jam freak, could not put down this book once I started reading. The author, David Lines, was born in West Bridgeford in 1967. In 1977 Punk Rock was in its prime all over the UK, even in the small town West Bridgeford, there were many young people with funny coloured hair hanging around. Some had painted 'God save the Queen' on their biker jackets but 10-year-old David had not even heard of SEX PISTOLS. David and his family moved to Leeds when he was 11. David was getting withdrawn into himself in the strange town and had no friends at school. One day the Lines' went picnic to the beach in Scarborough. On the way David came across loads of Mods riding scooters from the car window and thought he wanted to be part of them despite the fact he did not know who they were and even what Mods were. David saw some of them had "The Jam" sprayed on the back. Of course he did not have any idea what "The Jam" was at that time.
Some days after he found "This is the modern world - The Jam" at a local record library and borrowed it just out of curiosity remembering "The Jam" on thier back. From that day his life had completely changed. He found his own brilliant three friends - The Jam - living inside a piece of black vinyl and everything in his life was going with The Jam since then. This book is not the story of The Jam, nor the biography of Paul Weller. This is the Non-fiction about a boy who devoted his life to The Jam and Paul Weller. You must enjoy the story from the point of view of one of The Jam fans well appreciating David Lines if you are also one of The Jam freaks.

Punk Rock: An Oral History
Punk Rock: An Oral History
by John Robb

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I, Japanese, want to pay the most compliment, 17 July 2007
What a thick paper back of total 576 pages! Isn't it a Bible? That was my first impression when I got it. And maybe I am only a person in Japan who read it through wearing smart suits and tie in crazy packed Japanese morning trains on the way to work surrounded and pushed by also smartly dressed busy business men. "Punk Rock?" Many people were sneering at 42-year-old. But this is a brilliant book and the most efficient to learn the UK punk history especially from mid '70 to beginning of '80 among some books I had ever read. This book comprises short interviews of total 112 punk musicians, punk journalists, and etc. telling individuals' stories by going back in time. I mean these real voices made me feel the scene in more real and understand the history in more detail than any other punk books. My English is not that good, when I came across obscure English expression I could skip some interviews to others, but it was not a problem. Because this book is not a long novel, but loads of interesting short interviews. UK punk's been part of my life since I was 18 despite the fact that I am now 42 and quite a normal office worker. My treasure is a T-shirt signed by Captain Sensible when I saw him upon my queuing in front of the venue in Oxford in 2002. It reads "Phil Collins must die - Captain Sensible".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 11:04 PM BST