Profile for Jan the Fan > Reviews

Cold Fact/Coming From Reality
Cold Fact/Coming From Reality
Offered by Olymeo

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten treasure, 18 Jan. 2014
I came across a track called 'I think of you' on a music video website and was struck by Rodriguez's voice. I then found the Coming From Reality album and was struck by his wordsmith abilities - a blend of Dylan, Donovan and the guitar work of Feliciano. The previous album, Cold Fact, is edgier and more political whilst CFR shows a softer side. Given both of these were recorded in the late 60s/early 70s I just want to say 'where have you been all my life?' The tracks have been played over and over again - if they were vinyl the grooves would have worn through.

Making Mirrors
Making Mirrors
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Making Mirrors, 19 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Making Mirrors (Audio CD)
As a fan of 'alternative music' such as Eluvium I came by Gotye via his hit 'Somebody that I used to know'. That is a fantastic song that leads you from child-memory intro to the height of love, to sadness, to anger and bitterness and finally to a slanging match. Beautifully crafted. Other tracks on the album are catchy, some a bit twee (Getting better), and the final track, Bronte, is haunting. As said by others, many 'sound like' other artists but after 60 years of pop music it is hardly surprising to hear influences of those that have gone before. I've added 'Like Drawing Blood' to my collection too and am loving it. I'm hoping to get Gotye's first album soon too. I will be playing Making Mirrors on a regular basis - love it.

Lafayette Marquis, The
Lafayette Marquis, The

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 5 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Lafayette Marquis, The (Audio CD)
I too heard 'Stealin' all day' on Bob Harris and just had to have the CD. I've not been disappointed by the rest of the tracks. It's diverse, rock swamp - full of life and vitality. I play it almost daily and it's great driving music. Come on CC - get your website finished!