Profile for Melinda Maidens > Reviews

The Times How to Crack Cryptic Crosswords
The Times How to Crack Cryptic Crosswords
by Tim Moorey

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful guide, 17 May 2017
I broke down and finally admitted that I needed help with these puzzles. This book is useful primarily for beginners but I, too, am learning a few new tricks from it. I could use more help with finding synonyms and a few explanations of why a certain phrase or word in the clue yields a word that's part of the answer. I can't understand some of the analogies. Still, I keep this book by my side while I'm solving (or trying to) the Cryptic.

The Times Big Book of Cryptic Crosswords Book 1 (Times Mind Games)
The Times Big Book of Cryptic Crosswords Book 1 (Times Mind Games)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurray for the Times Cryptic Crossword!, 17 May 2017
I waited as long as I could for The Times book 21 (which has just appeared and which I've just ordered). However, I so needed my cryptic crossword "fix" that I ordered this book last month. It has already kept me happily busy and I will keep it "in reserve" when I'm between Times crossword books. I've been doing these puzzles for more than 40 years-- not bad for a Yank! They say crosswords and other puzzles will help stave off Alzheimer's, so these books are good for my health (despite the frequent head-scratching).

The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 20 (Crosswords)
The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 20 (Crosswords)

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting a Cryptic Crossword "fix", 17 Sept. 2016
I've been hooked on the Cryptic Crossword for decades! Now that I can't access the Times of London on a daily basis, I'm glad to have this convenient way to get at least a sample of these wonderful, aggravating and unique crosswords. Keeps the mind in shape, don't you know!

The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15
The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword puzzle addict, 20 Mar. 2014
London Times Cryptic is the *only* crossword! Since I'm across the "Pond" I don't get the daily paper, so it's great to be able to buy the collections on Amazon UK.