Profile for Lacuna > Reviews

Something Only We Know
Something Only We Know
by Kate Long

5.0 out of 5 stars Helen was like our son -- never to be trusted, 14 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Something Only We Know (Paperback)
I had a sense of déjà vu reading this. My son had any number of problems once he reached his teens: alcoholism, drug taking, self-harm, anxiety attacks. He was diagnosed as bipolar and borderline schizophrenic. It was genetic and thus difficult to treat. We lived on a knife edge during this time. My wife once intercepted an attempt at suicide where he'd amassed a stash of tablets but fallen asleep after drinking himself into oblivion.

Even though he eventually responded to treatment, the fear was always there, in the background, that he would revert to his former behaviour. My wife, herself a perpetual worrier, was, and remains, concerned that he isn't cured, even though I've seen first hand how he's changed around.

Memories of this were triggered when I read this novel. Helen was like our son -- never to be trusted, no matter how much she claimed she'd overcome her anorexia. Not that she helped matters with her secretiveness.

Jen, her "normal" sister, the main player here, is seven years younger than Helen. She's only now able to see her sister as her contemporary rather than an older, remote sibling. It's this developing relationship that's at the heart of the story, as Helen reveals more of herself and the secret she's been keeping, though it's not until the story's end that we get to the truth of the matter.

There's much more to the story than this of course, which is told in Kate Long's deceptively easy prose style.

On a different note, may I say how delighted I am that at last she's been given a decent cover for this novel. I own all of her work and the chick-lit covers do not do her stories justice.

If you enjoy reading well-written domestic drama, then Something Only We Know is for you.

A Whole New World
A Whole New World
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable for windup gramophones, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A Whole New World (Audio CD)
I bought the 78rpm version of this record and placed it on the turntable of my treasured HMV 109 gramophone. This historic device has played some of the world's finest music, ranging from Gigli to Alvin and the Chipmunks, but it came unstuck with this record. For some reason the needle would not stay in the groove. I tried holding it in, but that caused the player to slow right down, so with my other hand I was forced to continually wind it up. However, when I noticed a strange excrescence emerging from the horn, I gave up. I fear the gramophone may be irreparably damaged as a result.

The UpsideDown Jesus and other stories
The UpsideDown Jesus and other stories
by Karen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Varied and interesting, always readable, 7 May 2014
Karen Jones has a simple, no-nonsense style of writing that allows you to enter and remain in the stories without distraction until their conclusion. If only other writers would do the same.

Each of these stories held my attention, but my favourite is the one that provides the title. Karen gets into the mind of the young girl narrator with complete conviction.

Highly recommended

Confessions of an Undercover Cop (The Confessions Series)
Confessions of an Undercover Cop (The Confessions Series)
by Ash Cameron

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insights into the life of a policewoman, 5 Oct. 2013
This is a fascinating, anecdotal account of the life of a policewoman from when she was expected to "make the tea for the lads" until more recent, enlightened times. The stories are well told, usually very short (one or two pages), and not always favourable to the author.

If ever they decide to make a new series of Life on Mars, they should dip into this book for some, at times very amusing, material.

Bad Mothers United
Bad Mothers United
by Kate Long

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not chicklit, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bad Mothers United (Paperback)
Right from the first book, the publisher has given Kate's covers a chicklit feel. If that's what sells, fair enough, but her stories are much more profound and well-written than most of that genre.

As with other reviewers, I thoroughly enjoyed reading BMU. Had it on pre-order in Oz and was delighted to receive it only a few days after its British release. I devoured it quickly, as the narrative tension kept me reading even when I should have turned off the light and gone to sleep. That doesn't happen with most books I read.

Highly recommended.