Profile for Jdc Kneebone > Reviews

Content by Jdc Kneebone

Jdc Kneebone "jokneebone" (cornwalluk)

Page: 1 | 2
Fineplus Womens Fashion Silks Soft Pope Printing Scarves For Her Red+Black
Fineplus Womens Fashion Silks Soft Pope Printing Scarves For Her Red+Black
Offered by PlusMinus

5.0 out of 5 stars RECOMMEND., 7 Nov. 2014
SILK SQUARES THE RIGHT SIZE AS NECK SCARVES; BRIGHT; CREASE VERY LITTLE; FAIR PRICE; RECOMMEND.

Dickinson
Dickinson
by Helen Vendler

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Emily Dickinson's poetry, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dickinson (Paperback)
Dickinson is very enigmatic, especially when you're new to her, and Vendler's informed and fascinating commentary gives you an excellent reading of the poems and a sound base on which to build your own critical appreciation.

For new and essential biographical details, I also recommend you to read the astonishing, "Lives Like Loaded Guns: Emily Dickinson and Her Family's Feuds" by Lyndall Gordon.

The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery
The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly good read., 15 Jun. 2013
Even though I'd seen the TV version, the story was gripping. I'll have to seek out some more Scandinavian fiction!

Secrets of Practical Chess (New Enlarged Edition)
Secrets of Practical Chess (New Enlarged Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 31 May 2013
Several useful examples of what to avoid, and positive methods for thinking. Good for the experienced club player in range ELO 1600-2100

With Haig on the Somme
With Haig on the Somme

4.0 out of 5 stars useful, 17 Mar. 2013
Another useful perspective on Haig's life. Used in conjunction with Oxford online World War One course where an essay on Haig was required.

The Sicilian Taimanov: Move by Move
The Sicilian Taimanov: Move by Move
by John Emms

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 8 Sept. 2012
I'm not a fan of the "question" style of the book, but I know many people like this. The explanations are good, and there seems a good balance of text and detail. It's OK for me (rating about 1900-2000).

A Strategic Chess Opening Repertoire for White
A Strategic Chess Opening Repertoire for White
by John Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine book by John Watson, 8 Sept. 2012
One of the best repertoire books I've seen. The author's explanations are clear. I wonder about his choice of line against the Slav, but since I've always disliked playing against that opening I can hardly quibble. The index is very comprehensive.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!, 8 Jan. 2012
As the manufacturer states, these boots do not have fully leather uppers. After three light wears mine were through to the textile underneath. They look good: so one star; but I would not recommend them even at this low price.

The Judith Blacklock Encyclopedia of Flower Design
The Judith Blacklock Encyclopedia of Flower Design
by Judith Blacklock

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Present, 17 Oct. 2008
I followed the advice of the previous reviewers as I needed a present for a friend. I was not disappointed. This is a super book. It is useful because it has all kinds of designs, not just huge displays which not everyone wants to make. There are simple methods to follow so designs can be tried out easily at home. I like the history of flower designs too which is presented interestingly with some historical photos. There are also large glossy pictures for just browsing. This book is an ideal present. I have never been very tempted to try out flower arranging myself but this flower design encyclopaedia is a real inspiration and has given even me some ideas.

Venetian Painting: A Concise History (World of Art)
Venetian Painting: A Concise History (World of Art)
by John Steer

5.0 out of 5 stars Venice and much more, 2 Feb. 2008
I am no artist. Yet, I'm fascinated about art. I've often wandered around galleries (Uffizi, Prado, National, Louvre), seen religious pictures, portraits, which are obviously very beautiful, but not really known how to understand the differences between them, or put into words their impact. The "language" of art's been rather a mystery. For ages I've been searching for a book to explain in terms I can relate to.... At last, Eureka!: here is a book which describes in intelligible English,(I'm afraid it does help that Mr. Steer is English. American English becomes more and more a different language to us, not surprisingly), and with great sensitivity, the effects paintings have on us, and then shows how these effects are actually created. Different styles are analysed clearly and put into their historical context.
Although Venetian art is the specific topic of this book, I feel I have learnt from it so much more about Art in general, I will look at paintings with greater confidence and knowledge.
Like all good teachers, Mr. Steer has shown me how to set about understanding the subject for myself.

Page: 1 | 2