Profile for lesleys > Reviews

Willnot
Willnot
by James Sallis

5.0 out of 5 stars If at first you don't succeed....., 8 July 2016
This review is from: Willnot (Paperback)
I was quite intrigued when I was sent another James Sallis book to review as I'm still rather in two minds about the last one! What can I say about this book? What did I honestly think?
Well firstly I really couldn't get to grips with how the book was written. It's quite loose and rambling in style and I found that at times, in fact quite often, I really had to think about what had just happened or what had been said, or even re-read a section to actually get a handle on it! It's not really a crime/mystery/thriller story, it's more a sort of collection of musings/journal by the protagonist Lamar Hale, on his life and the people that live, work and pass through the town of Willnot. When I reached the end of the book I actually found that I had rather enjoyed it but also that I felt that I had somehow not done it justice.
The book has such a wonderful use of language that I began to feel I had missed out by taking so long to get into the rhythm of the prose. The day after I finished the book (which is quite slight) I made the quite remarkable decision to read it again straight away! This time, because I had already settled into and accepted the style of writing, I found I was able to immerse myself in it totally and really enjoy James Sallis' unique voice. I intend to revisit the previous book (Others of My Kind) to see if my initial view has changed since reading Willnot and will definitely be reading more James Sallis in the future.

Kitchens of the Great Midwest
Kitchens of the Great Midwest
by J. Ryan Stradal

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice easy holiday read!, 5 Jun. 2016
I enjoyed this novel, it was well written and the separate chapters that focused on different characters linked together very well. I wouldn’t say that I laughed out loud or that it was hilarious, as some of the blurb suggests, but it has its moments and did make me smile.

As with a lot of American novels there were sayings and references along with the ubiquitous acronyms that I personally didn’t get but this didn’t really affect my overall enjoyment of the book.

Not one for my ultimate collection but good enough for four stars – a nice easy holiday read!

ToView
ToView

3.0 out of 5 stars Not actually catch up!, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: ToView (App)
Great for live streaming but there is no facility for 'catching up' on programmes you've missed! I use iPlayer for the BBC but also wanted C4 and ITV - What a shame!

Sebastião Salgado. GENESIS
Sebastião Salgado. GENESIS
by Sebastiao Salgado

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 April 2015
Stunning - a must for any lover of photography!

Trail of Broken Wings
Trail of Broken Wings

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 April 2015
An interesting and fairly absorbing book but a bit repetitive at times.

Floradix Liquid Iron and Vitamin Formula  500ml
Floradix Liquid Iron and Vitamin Formula 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pick me up!, 1 Jun. 2014
I couldn't do without Floradix to keep me going at busy times. Being a liquid formula it's very easily absorbed by your body - much better than tablets. Not the best taste in the world but it's only 10ml twice daily and you soon get used to it! A great product and a great price through Amazon. Highly recommended!

Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Belkin Dual USB 5V, 1A, iPod/Mini B Wall Adapter
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it's supposed to!, 1 Jun. 2014
A neat charger that allows you to charge two devices at once. Good quality and it also comes with 2 usb leads - Perfect for the job!

The Silent Wife
The Silent Wife
by A. S. A. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the hype, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Silent Wife (Paperback)
This novel is an easy read with each chapter being headed 'her' or 'him'. As this suggests the story is told in turn from alternate viewpoints.

I found that the book read rather like a psychology self help book, especially in the sections when 'The Silent Wife' Jodi is retrospectively in session with her therapist, and this seeps into the rest of the novel creating some repetition here and there. This is also inevitable I suppose when the same story is being told from two standpoints.

I enjoyed the book and would probably recommend it but I really don't think it lives up to the hype in the blurb on the covers - back and front! I have previously read much more 'engrossing' and 'compelling' books that really did have me 'racing through [it] to find out what happens next'. But then you don't have to take my word for it!

The Morrow Secrets
The Morrow Secrets

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings!, 31 Dec. 2013
I was looking forward to reading this book when I was asked to review it as I really like to read books for children and young adults. I found I had some issues with the writing though as it could be very muddled in places, almost as though a child had written it! Sometimes passages could almost merge into one another as if the author was in such haste to get everything down. I felt that there could have been more moments for pause at least to define where one episode ended and another began. I also thought that some of the prose could be overly descriptive, once again as if written by a child who wanted to cram in as much as possible. I thought that this was unnecessary, a few perfect words would have actually had more impact.

One thing I did really like was the fact that the author didn't shy away from using some lovely long words throughout the novel, which I think is a great way to stretch a child's vocabulary without them really realizing! The theme of the storyline itself was a good concept and overall I enjoyed the book, I just wish that the author had taken more time to edit and re-edit before settling on the final draft. I believe this may be the author's first novel so I am hoping that with her increasing experience she will be able to fine tune the other books in the trilogy before they go to press as I believe there is potential there for a cracking good read!

Queen's Gambit
Queen's Gambit
by Elizabeth Fremantle

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen's Gambit, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Queen's Gambit (Hardcover)
This is a tale of Katherine Parr who was to become the sixth wife of Henry VIII.

It is very much a character based book and flows very well from person to person and chapter to chapter. I like the way the chapters have the place and date as their headings - you know exactly where you are in the story.

The book is written in quite a modern way without really using the style of language of the period. This works well, apart from the odd occasion when I feel the language becomes a bit sloppy and rather too modern - I couldn't see the characters using certain terms or phrases.

The story is very readable and keeps you moving swiftly along, wanting to know what happens to the characters next. The plot itself has plenty of tension, partly due to the Tudor story itself and partly due to Elizabeth Fremantle's embellishment of the facts. You get so wrapped up in the story she has woven you have to remind yourself that this is a novel and not the absolute truth!

It does lose its way slightly towards the end of the book, and there were certain little repetitions here and there which I thought were unnecessary - the reader really doesn't need things spelling out! But these are just niggles as I really rather enjoyed this novel and would certainly recommend it, both to lovers of historical fiction and to those who just enjoy a good yarn.

Page: 1 | 2