Profile for whitestrat > Reviews

Fender Performance 10' Instrument Guitar Cable Jack - Jack 10FT
Fender Performance 10' Instrument Guitar Cable Jack - Jack 10FT
Offered by Rich Tone Music

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone to Sound Control, 21 Nov. 2014
Even worse than Sound Control's cables if anyone remembers those; connection issues (buzzing, crackling, feedback) from first use and even after re-soldering the jacks. Bassist had the same cable and we both suffered the same issues in the same practice. We got what we deserved for buying a £7 cable. Beware....BEWARE!

Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD] [2005]
Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Metallica

5.0 out of 5 stars this live DVD encompasses a lot of why Metallica were a great band. Opening with an instrumental which would go ..., 27 Jun. 2014
Filmed some time between the release of Load and the quickly forgettable Reload, this live DVD encompasses a lot of why Metallica were a great band. Opening with an instrumental which would go on to become the song 'Bad Seed', the gig ramps up as it goes along.

James Hetfield is on fire all throughout this gig and manages to enforce his impossible task of playing the rhythm parts to most songs while singing. This gig offers a snapshot back to the days of when James' charisma on-stage was 5*, possibly due to the fact he was drinking at that time rather than the stale, born again wet blanket that he has become.

On the contrary, Kirk is just a joke here. He looks like a teenage boy who is lost in a sea of sexual confusion while trying to remain as 'one of the guys'. He spends most of the gig scouting the front row of the audience looking for an equally lost boy to confide in or a burly man to take him back stage afterwards and smack his bottom. While Hetfield is clearly enjoying himself and remaining tight on the rhythm, it is painfully clear that Kirk is playing at 100% of his ability here which percolates through into a waterfall of bum notes and awkward backing vocals.

I always liked Newstead even though he wasn't popular with everyone. Since leaving Metallica, he's been like a blind man searching for sugar in a sandpit with what he wants to do next but here he's probably where he was best. He gave Metallica a raw aggression that they just haven't had since he went

Lars is and always will be a bit of a moron but technically he's solid at this gig.

Overall, 10/10. I advise you watch this with some chilli Doritos because they are pretty tasty.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Offered by Boomedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps in another life, we would have kissed, 9 Oct. 2012
As I emerge from the initial cave after escaping with my Nord buddy, we rejoice in our freedom. We dance, high five and kiss at which point he invites me back to his place in Riverwood. I politely decline and head in the opposite direction before things become even more strange. Although you cannot high five and kiss NPC's, there is a multitude of things you can do in Skyrim. Traversing this ancient and majestic landscape, I lay down my authority on man and beast by swinging my biggest axe into the face of anything opposing my bulging ego. A thief wants your money? Watch his terrified face while you take his head off. A bard claims not to know Gangnam Style? Remind him with a suplex. Some punk doesn't like you for no reason? Give that punk a reason.
All the time, you will accumulate experience of which will help you level up from being a pussy to Odin's right hand man where you will be a walking tank. Of course, you can choose to play as a stealthy character or a mage but if you want the full experience, take off your shirt, slap some paint across your face and war cry at your TV with the biggest, ugliest, hairiest warrior you can make.
There's a lot to collect so bring rucksack too.

As I finish slaying an entire fort and stare down at the lifeless chumps who foolishly opposed me, I remember with great power comes a great need to exploit it. A watch tower looms in the distance with yet another load of puny twig armed natives - I unsheathe my axe, get up to full sprint and proceed to again mince them. Such is the life of a warrior in Skyrim. All the while, I wonder what would have happened had I accepted my Nord friend's invitation that day...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 2:08 PM BST

Futurama - Season 1-4 [DVD]
Futurama - Season 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Avanzino
Offered by A2ZSupplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Worst box in history, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Futurama - Season 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
Nothing bad to say about Futurama - I love Futurama and the fact that you get 4 seasons for a good price is the 4 stars. The packaging however, is the worst that I've ever handled with any product.

It consists of a box with 4 'books' that hold the DVDs, 1 per season. These are supposed to slide into the cover box. After taking the cellophane off initially, it took 10 minutes to get the contents to slide out of the box so I could get the DVDs. It also became impossible to get the back in. The thing became like a Chinese puzzle. These 4 cardboard books were suddenly too wide to fit back into the cover box and after a good half an hour while watching an episode, I managed to slide them all in with some damage to the box. I proceeded to do Fry's Fonzie impression before realising of course, I couldn't get them back out again which ended up with me cutting the cover box down one of the corners.

I'm not really bothered to be honest, but it seems ridiculous that I had to do this. I have plenty of TV and film boxsets and none have ever given me so much resistance. Beware....BEWARE..

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Value defined, 28 July 2011
When I first got my 360 in 2006, I spent my last pennies on Oblivion. It was a gamble but paid off. I must have put around 200 hours into this now; seen it, heard it and finished it. Still being played to this very day as a break from Gears. The fact that people say it's aged saddens me as I have obviously aged with it, but it still looks fantastic. If you've never played this, it's well worth the price. It's not everyone's cup of tea and I can remember being slightly put off by the slow start but give it time and it will reward you

FIFA 11 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 11 (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, not price wise, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: FIFA 11 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I upgraded from FIFA 10 as the price of FIFA 11 has come down now. I've had this game for a week or so now and having played it, there are a number of improved areas, but more horrendous ideas have been put into this game. It's plays much like FIFA 10 but worse in my opinion due to a number of issues
First of all, this game is so cheap. I don't mean how much it is, but in terms of playability. The ref penalises you for making the slightest contact with the ball carrier when tackling. You'd never think you were playing a contact sport. Yet, the computer is freely allowed to barge you over and off the ball resulting in nothing.

Secondly, tackling is ridiculous, it usually results in the ball flying off miles away or bouncing off you and your player tripping over the tackled player. It's so stupid sometimes.

Thirdly, they seem to have designed the game to try and get everyone doing the stupid tricks on the stick. You can no longer rely on a player's speed to burst round someone, the computer will keep up with you and tackle you. The tricks are fine for Ronaldo and a few others, but when league 1 players are doing maradona esq runs through your entire team, it's laughable. They seem to have focused on trying to get these tricks into the game a little too much. I'd rather play a pass and move game, which is much harder in this game than FIFA 10, due to the computer swamping you immediately if you have the ball. If they want to integrate these tricks, they should make them easy to do like Pro Evo, not random wiggles of the stick.

I have to also mention the passing is terrible, why did they have to mess with this? The passing was fine in FIFA 10.
The online mode is ok, the servers are usually stable and there are still a plethora of quitters. Graphics are nice, high profile players look a like, but not much effort has been put into the rest. The gameface is still trash, much like FIFA 10.

I was glad to see Ultimate Team is free this year, as I feel that everyone should have the option to use this feature with the price of the game.
Lastly, there has been no patch to compensate the January Transfers, which is either laziness or lack of care on EA's part. So if you want Torres at Chelsea, Suarez and Carroll at Liverpool etc, you'll have to do it yourself.

Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with FIFA 11 compared to FIFA 10, I hope this isn't a slippery slope downwards as FIFA 09 and FIFA 10 were so fluid and satisfying. This game just frustrates me with it's cheapness.

Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Offered by sellatronic

4.0 out of 5 stars Review after the Fallout of New Vegas' release.....I'll get my coat, 14 Mar. 2011
Just managed to get this and haven't put it down. I come from a gaming background where I don't tend to like RPG games, unless they aren't serious, like Fable, but there's something about Fallout which is addictive. The mojave wasteland is great, the desert setting is much more pleasing to the eye than the capital wasteland. There is so much to do and so many places to go, equipment to collect, people to meet, things to kill etc. The feeling of discovering a new place and then finding some kick ass equipment there is great.
The Vegas strip is cool, and it's a nice contrast to exploring the wastes. It lights up at night and can be seen from far away, which is a nice reminder of the scale. You can so everything you'd expect there with your hard earned caps.
The story is not bad, and there are hundreds of side quests. The amount of time you can spend in the wasteland is ridiculous, this game will last you months, unlike most nowadays, which are tiresome after a week.
I do have to comment on the bugs and performance, this is the only reason I cannot give it 5 stars, there are more bugs in this game than in the amazon, and the game clearly pushes the 360s RAM to the limit, which will affect the load times and jerkiness of the game.

For the price, I can't see why anyone should hesitate. Fantastic game