Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Discover more Shop now
Profile for FIS > Reviews

Content by FIS

FIS

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
John & Margaret - Coming Home With Me: A Continuation of North & South
John & Margaret - Coming Home With Me: A Continuation of North & South

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Cast, Different Script, 13 Feb. 2015
Same cast, different script. I really hated it. It just did not follow on from the past for me. Rewriting history by introducing Stephens as the culprit behind deaths in the original North and South and having Hannah Thornton kill people is not consistent with the same Elizabeth Gaskell character of North and South. It really bothered me that there was no understanding whatsoever of how the social status of the characters determined their interaction in a period drama. This is what makes period drama unique. Imagine Thornton making Higgins his equal as a Master, and then vacating his large house for Higgins and moving to a smaller cottage....oh please!!! It just doesn't happen. Then Margaret calling Mrs Thornton by her first name, and Hannah in turn calling her Miss Hale is totally inaccurate for the period. A single lady cannot call a married woman who is not her servant by name. No Victorian lady addresses their mother-in-law by their Christian name in any case. In fact, I can't find I liked anything about the story.

Master of the Mill
Master of the Mill

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a sequel. If I could give it no stars, I would, 12 Feb. 2015
This is not a sequel. Familiar names and places have been used, but it bears no resemblance to Elizabeth Gaskell's book. Don't read this if you want to retain the magic of the original.

The Whistle Echoes
The Whistle Echoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, though a bit too raunchy for my liking, 12 Feb. 2015
I loved the way the characters developed in the sequel and it is a plausible story as to how Margaret would have fared in the Thornton household. There were way too many unnecessary sex scenes and I feel the story would have still being captivating without it. I did find John's possessiveness and temper a bit controlling and unsettling though. I enjoyed it, and would read it again.

Unmapped Country: the story of North & South continues
Unmapped Country: the story of North & South continues

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel - quite enjoyable, 12 Feb. 2015
Based on good reviews, I read this one, and quite enjoyed it as a sequel. The drama continued from the BBC Adaptation, more than the book, I would say. New characters were introduced and it portrayed a single lady of means trying to do business in a man's world, and in that sense, had a modern twist. It reminded me of the angst of Anne Eliot in Jane Austen's Persuasion. No smuttiness, just plain Victorian romance. I had only two reservations with the storyline, (no spoilers) and it was the typhus situation and the unchaperoned contacts with letting agents for a Victorian lady, taking liberality too far for my liking. The reason I won't give it 5 stars are the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.

A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South
A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a short story or max, a novella, 12 Feb. 2015
The whole book could have been condensed to two chapters and you get the jist. Too repititive for my liking. I was waiting for something to happen. I did not feel that the book maintained the spirit of Milton, the Industrial Age that Gaskell wrote about, as it went back to romanticising the South, and in particular Helstone.

In Consequence: A Retelling of North and South
In Consequence: A Retelling of North and South

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing much happens., 12 Feb. 2015
I'm glad Elizabeth Gaskell did not give us the "what if" scenario, as it would have been a very dull book, and we won't be clamouring for a sequel. The only reason I like story of John Thornton and Margaret Hale was the tension of unrequited love, undeclared love, the misunderstandings, and the desire to see them get together. It is what makes me love Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind etc. for example. In this book, for me, nothing much happens.

Wilson Coral Wave BLX Tennis Racket RRP £160 L3 + Cover
Wilson Coral Wave BLX Tennis Racket RRP £160 L3 + Cover
Offered by Racketworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, good control and better sweet spot, 2 Sept. 2014
Love it. First time I had a Wilson racket. It is light, and has a smaller racket head but a better sweet spot, and more control with it i.e. not as much mishits as I did with my previous rackets.

Prym 11 - 29 mm Universal Tool for Cover Buttons
Prym 11 - 29 mm Universal Tool for Cover Buttons

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure about the durability of the button, 31 Mar. 2014
In my opinion, I would use this for cushions etc but not so much for clothing. My concern is that the button may come apart in the washing machine. I think for clothes, one is better off going to the button-makers who use the metal winding gadget to make durable buttons.

Janome Imperial Design Template Quilting Ruler, Acrylic, Transparent, 6 x 24-Inch
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it all the time, 31 Mar. 2014
The calibrations are clear and the ruler is quite solid. I use it all the time to measure for dressmaking. Not even tried it for quilting yet, but I recommend it to anyone wanting to cut straight lines. Use it with a rotary cutter and mat for best results

Draper 63637 Expert Revolving Punch Plier 2.0 - 4.5mm
Draper 63637 Expert Revolving Punch Plier 2.0 - 4.5mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 31 Mar. 2014
I just used it to make holes in several leather belts and it was quite neat. I'm pleased with my purchase and cannot fault it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4