Profile for Melville > Reviews

Content by Melville

Melville "York Terrier" (York, England)

The Witness
The Witness

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of plot that keeps throwing up questions so ..., 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
The kind of plot that keeps throwing up questions so you can't stop reading! Looking forward to more about Father Cuthbert.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 3 Nov. 2013
Great item. Very glad I bought it. Portable, easy to stow and very effective in increasing the warmth and comfirt of my sleeping bag.

The Muppet Christmas Carol [DVD]
The Muppet Christmas Carol [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A family tradition, 16 Feb. 2010
Watching a Muppet Christmas carol in the week before Christmas has become a family tradition for us. We know that Christmas has started and can get in the mood. A great, good fun film.

The Goshawk (New York Review Books Classics)
The Goshawk (New York Review Books Classics)
by T. H. White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 9 Feb. 2010
I purchased this book for my 19 year old son who is an ardent falconer. I remembered it as a book I loved and it has not aged. Well worth reading.

Working Man's Cafe
Working Man's Cafe
Offered by positivenoise

1.0 out of 5 stars A bad case of nostalgia, 20 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Working Man's Cafe (Audio CD)
First of all I am a big fan of Ray Davies; I like the Kinks and enjoy his more recent work, particularly his London 'opera', and I didn't want this album to be like the Kinks - I am happy that a performer progresses. The problem (for me) with this album is that it comes across as laboured, obvious and unsubtle. It is possible to talk (and sing)of the past and lost communities without nostalgia, eg Ry Cooder in 'Chavez Ravine', but the lyrics soon become cloying. Davies is keen to give us his world view, but it is unsubtle, lacks wit and is rammed down the throat - a useful comparison is with Ben Folds who manages to remain witty, incisive and deft but you still know what he thinks. I was sorry to be disappointed by this album as I was really looking forward to it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 10:26 PM BST

The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious rubbish, 20 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Fountain [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
A very poor film. The director seems to think that it is possible to make up for a lack of story or narrative by strewing recurrent motifs throughout the film - just to make sure that the audience understands his point. The film lacks subtlety - as well as the basic elements of drama. Drama needs conflict of some kind and there was nothing here to engage the audience.