Fitbit Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Learn more
Profile for Sam > Reviews

Content by Sam

Sam

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Family Fang
The Family Fang

3.0 out of 5 stars Umm ?, 13 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Family Fang (DVD)
I rented this because I liked the premise and the all star cast looked promising, I thought this would be a quirky mildly comedic peice, it wasn't.
I had expected a Wes Anderson type peice, a bit different but not to taken too seriously, what I got was just weird.

I finished my viewing wondering what the heck was that all about. Essentially Jason Bateman and Nicole Kidman play grown up brother and sister, who have been raised by 'preformance artist' parents who have actively used their children in many of their very strange acts. As adults they have both struggled with their lives and have issues to deal with.
The parents vanish halfway through the film and the family members are informed by the police that the likelihood is that they have been violently abducted, but the siblings suspect differently and assume that this another act.

On paper this story probably looked really interesting, examing a dysfunctional family's past juxdaposed against the present. To all those involved in the production it may have seemed alittle subversive ? But somehow as a viewer, for me personally, it lacked stimulus and momentum and I actually found it depressing. However, that's problem with movie making what looks good on paper doesn't always translate to the screen.

The preformances of everyone involved are of a very high calibre and it is a shame this wasn't a different kind of film because Nicole Kidman gives an exceptionally fine turn here. The children playing the offspring in the past are very talented and carry out an uncomfortable to watch scene where the pair end up playing Romeo and Juliet as a result of their parents intervention in the plays casting. This was a bit uncomfortable to watch and I thought it alittle disturbing that their parents have conived to watch their own kids humilated and made to act as romantic in public, even it is in a play.

Very strange, and at the same time oddly deflating as I couldn't have cared less by the end, what happened !

The Devil You Know (Dr. Jane McGill Book 2)
The Devil You Know (Dr. Jane McGill Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much devilish, more cuddly, 5 Aug. 2017
This is the sequel to the excellent 'The devil wears scrubs', which I loved, but although this ok, but for me it didn't have the elements that made that book so readable. There are some laugh out loud moments to enjoy though.

Here Jane has a new job in a veterans hospital and is married with a child. Her concerns are about her marriage and being a parent as well as more obectionable colleagues. Her ex, the surgeon Ryan Reilly also shows up to confuse her and highlight the cracks in her present relationship.

In the previous novel I think what I liked best was the romantic and medical intrigue portrayed, I loved the politics with the fellow interns and the acute setting gave the book pace. However, for me this wasn't grabbing my interest as I had no interest in her marriage or child. I found the situation with her ex sad and when the author revealed his real plight I found it depressing to see someone as dynamic as he is faced with such a terrible situation. If you have known someone with Huntingdons you will know what I mean. Few conditions are crueler. It was really upsetting actually.

Also the character of Alyssa Morgan makes another appearance as Jane really does seem obsessed with her and their not so great former relationship.

So overall this is a realistic followup to the first book, and heartbreaking in some regards.

Crocs Freesail Women's Clogs - Navy, 7 UK (39-40 EU)
Crocs Freesail Women's Clogs - Navy, 7 UK (39-40 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable summer wear, 2 Aug. 2017
I wear these at work and they are so comfortable. They are my summer shoe and they do allow generous amounts of air to my feet.

I am a 6 but I read many reviews of these crocs before buying them and I am really grateful to the other people who have reviewed these shoes who suggested buying the next size up which I did and now have a perfect fit so a big thanks to them too.

The Devil Wears Scrubs: A Short Comedic Novel (Dr. Jane McGill Book 1)
The Devil Wears Scrubs: A Short Comedic Novel (Dr. Jane McGill Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't need to scrub in to read this, 2 Aug. 2017
I really did love this. This obviously is based on the experiences of a medical intern but I think everyone has had someone like the character of Alyssa in their working life making things miserable than they need to be. However, if you have ever worked with medical professionals particularly doctors this will have you nodding along with the struggles presented to the newbe, and the interesting attitudes of some of her multidisciplinary team members, it did me.

Fresh out of college Jane is a new intern at County General in New York navigating the exhausting schedule her job now entails as well enduring hospital politics, hunger and a chronically full bladder. As well as trying to please everyone, deal with neurotic roomate and learn how to be a real doctor.

This is a totally believable tale and you don't have to work in a medical facility to empathise with Dr McGill's plight. This novel like life makes you laugh and cry. Also I have to say the hierachy thing is so true, especially which regard to seating priorities.

I read this in one sitting and did not look forward to finishing it. It was like a palate cleanser after reading so many unsatifying books recently and hope there are more books from this author.

Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's
Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad place to spend infinity, 17 July 2017
I felt watching this I was momentarily allowed into a very glamorous and priveledged world that in reality I will never be able to access. Before I rented this disc I had never heard of this department store, but if I am ever lucky enough to visit New York City I will definitely paying this place a vistit.

What I loved most about this documentary was the speed it moved at. The director lets us in on the internal machinations of the stores functions, for example the meetings regarding planning the stores stunning christmas windows and how buyers choose designers to represent their brand.

We also have the ubiquitous talking heads, the people who work there, the designers, the writers and the people who are related to owners. This just makes this an even more interesting documentary.

The director blends an eclectic mix of patrons and people associated with the stores marketing and there is also the historical perpespective. We are provided with a helpful insight into how the business began and subsequently gained a place as the fasion leader in New York.

I think for me what particularly made me this enjoy this peice was the way the honesty I felt from the contributors. l enjoyed looking at the clothes and I think it looked like a fun place to work.

The Big Girl's Guide to Buying Lingerie: A Cowboy Love Story (Bluebonnet Texas Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted reading, 28 Jun. 2017
Well I think this book is a perfect example of how different people's tastes and preferences are, because having read other reviews for this I can see I don't represent everyone's reaction.

I nearly gave this two stars but to say I didn't like it would not be completely true, because honestly it didn't make me feel one way or another. It made no impression at all and from about 55 percent on my kindle I skim read to the end just in case there was some huge twist to the story.
There wasn't.

I really enjoyed the start and liked the premise which involves Jade the lead characer who has been flirting with a man called Robbie through a fan website for a singer they both like. When she discovers she already knows this person and does not have a great opinion of them she is disappointed but convinced they are not meant to be. This held promise and I thought I would see a lot of sparky interactions and witicisms but instead there is a lot of commentary with the two involving Robbie/Rowdy's friends and family and his thoughts on Jade which left me bored silly I am sorry to say. I would have preferred to stay solely with Jade's thoughts than hear what Robbie thought about Jade's bras.

Again I have to say this is not everyones opinion and if you are looking for a sweet, nonobtrusive, sexy tale where not much happens this is probably for you.

A Nun Walks into a Bar (Nun-Fiction Series Book 1)
A Nun Walks into a Bar (Nun-Fiction Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars This was a lot heavier than expected, 14 Jun. 2017
Never judge a book by it's cover, this for me was a prime example. This looked light hearted and I guess I just assumed I was in for a witty, fun romance. I was wrong.

I have read one biker romance novel previously and that actually was for the most part a witty, lighthearted romance which again was not what I expected and had bought the book purely to look at the cover. I just want to say that is the only time ever I have book to look at the front page though.

The plot is that Sadie Ross has been brought up by her aunt a nun after losing her parents. She assumes she too will continue to serve God and is happily working as a teacher but living in church accomadation. However once of age and able to look after herself her aunt tells her she doesn't think Sadie should remain on this course and so Sadie gets her own place. Just before she leaves the church and becomes a regular citizen she meets Ryder in a bar and there is a big attraction. The two begin to date when she is free to do so, but she takes a while to get used to the fact he seems to want to control her and has very possessive a alpha male tendancies, There in lies the problem for me, instead of rejecting him and sparing herself the stress of becoming entangled in his seemy past, she does just except it, and so I then jumped to last few pages just to see if there was any hope of her doing better for herself.

Well I am sure many will enjoy this but I just felt sad and disappointed by the end.

The Extra Large Medium
The Extra Large Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars A lady with a paranormal interest, 3 Jun. 2017
I did like this but my main reservation with regard to giving this a higher rating is that I am not totally sure why I like this.

The positive aspects of this novel for me was the fact that I had no idea where the author was going with it. It was totally original in nature. It centres around a lady who has the ability to hear the dead talk but who is herself struck by tradegy in the form of losing her loved one Evan. There are a lot of interesting charachters and this story seems to be about following the lead character through her life as she rides the ups and downs of her gift and the eventualities of her existence.

I have to say this wasn't what I expected, I thought this novel would follow a more narrative style but the author seems to have favoured a more reflective style. In saying this I mean I felt this story was being told in a more nostagic sense. For example when the lead character talks about her mother and their lives together and then their separation I definitely felt the sense of bereavement implied. I also felt the sense of loss she had with regard to her husband.

The book was easy to read but I think my main reason for following this through was to just to find out what happened in the end rather than overall enjoyment. At times, and particularly towards the conclusion I felt confused about who people were and what was happening and I wasn't really that invested at this point either.

This is not your average supernatural novel and there is little in the way of thrills, but it is an interersting diversion into a world few of us experience and I liked the quirkiness encountered here. I would say to anyone looking for something a little different and with an interest in the paranormal, this is worth a read.

The First Monday in May
The First Monday in May

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging fashion eats itself docu, 24 May 2017
This review is from: The First Monday in May (DVD)
If you are looking for a well, directed, edited and entertaining fashion centred documentary, look no further. I have recently watched 3 other with similar content, and this is definitely one of the best.

What I particularly liked about this piece is the speed it moved at, and also it kept it's focus on the subject matter, which was the up coming Met Gala. The Gala is a lavish money making event hosted by the Metropolitan Meseum of Art in New York. The theme for this exhibition was to be China, and particularly it's fashion history.

This glitzy event is managed by Vogue Magazine's editor Anna Wintour and her team, working closely with the director of the Met's costume department, Andrew Bolton. There many talking head interviews from famous designers, and we are privy to many background moments in the organisation of this glamorous occasion. I particularly found interesting seeing Anna Wintour at home, working with people such as the film director Baz Luhrman to discuss the decorations for the museum entrance where the guests are welcomed.

The politicing behind this were interesting too, we are allowed to see various representatives from China discussing their perspectives on how their cultural history is being represented in the West, andwe see how candidly Anna and Andrew respond to these concerns.

I liked the fact this film shows the main players here Anna and Andrew as they are, and not everyone will warm to them. Personally I admired them for how well they both do their jobs, but I can say I felt a little uncomfortable looking at the previous show stopping exhibition held at the Met 'Savage Beauty' which was a celebration of the work of the late designer Alexander McQueen. I don't know if my feeling toward this was because of the weird looking manequins used, but these 'clothes' did not look like any human women would actually want to wear, and the way these garments and the man who designed them are so revered, is weird IMHO.

Some of the displays are exquisit and breath takingly beautiful, and the celeb's being escorted around the museum, in the case of Kate Hudson, a designer are very lucky. They don't come over very well to be honest, I am not sure who quite a few were, and for that reason this seemed to be a very transperant example of how celebrity and fashion go hand in hand.

Cruise Into Eden (The Eden Series Book 1)
Cruise Into Eden (The Eden Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nudist sci fi shenanigans, 16 May 2017
What can I say, this is basically about sex with a little sci fi thrown in. Nothing wrong with that but don't expect much but a menage a trois repeatedly.

The main character a singleton lady is talked into going on a nude cruise, with someone called Craig who is just trying to get it on, Anyway the heroine meets two naked hunks called Ware and Nase who very quickly get her to have sex with them and talk intermittently about how to introduce her to their planet Eden, a nudist only environment.

This is very readable and probably for a beach holiday or a really boring weekend in my case, inoffensive but forgettable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17