Profile for Katie Brooks > Reviews

Katie Brooks (England)

10,000 Days
10,000 Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 17 Aug. 2006
This review is from: 10,000 Days (Audio CD)
There is something about Tool that makes their music completely irresistable (in my opinion). Their sound is so multi-layered that it's impossible to get bored, no matter how many times you listen. The lyrics are truly incredible and, despite the fact that many of them are often religious, they can be applied to many people's lives, making the albums appear almost personal!

It was a long wait for 10000 Days (isn't it always when Tool are concerned) but it was MORE than worth the wait. With songs like "Vicarious" and "Right In Two", the lyrics are much more direct than most other songs, noone will need to discuss their meanings on the countless online forums. There are others, however, where the meaning is not as clear "The Pot" being one such example (is he talking about drugs/hypocrisy/both?).

There is some wierd stuff on here too - "Rosetta Stoned" is an account of a person lying in hospital after having been abducted by aliens. Having said that though, it really works! The time signatures constantly shift throughout most songs and it makes it a rollercoaster of a listen, one where you're never quite sure where the song is going next.

I can't explain how much I love this band, their sheer talent and originality never cease to amaze me and, unlike with many albums, this actually becomes more apparent with repeated plays. This album is truly great, in an age where easy-listening rock is the mainstream, it's great to see Tool haven't changed their approach. Can't wait for the next one!

3 Years 5 Months & 2 Days In The Life Of...
3 Years 5 Months & 2 Days In The Life Of...
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest hip-hop albums in history!, 17 Aug. 2006
Any true hip-hop fan simply MUST buy a copy of this album. Fans of A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Jurassic 5, etc. will love the funky beats and laid-back style of this album.

There's no filler here, just an album packed full of soulful hip-hop, the way it should be done. The phrase "They just don't make them like this anymore" has never been more appropriate than when applied to this album.

If you like hip-hop and you haven't got this album, it's a massive gap in your collection. Get one, no - get two, now! It really is that good!

Rhubarb
Rhubarb

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but it gets a bit old!, 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Rhubarb (Audio CD)
If you like fun surf-rock, then this is the album for you! It's an amusing and often funky collection of tracks that are VERY good live, but don't quite translate to an album.

I used to love this album and they were one of the best bands I've ever seen live but it does get boring after a while - there's nothing here to keep you listening. Unless it's a sunny day and you've got the car roof down of course, in which case it's the perfect choice!

Anti-Theft Device
Anti-Theft Device

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly talented mixing., 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Anti-Theft Device (Audio CD)
An excellent example of truly stunning mixing, combining dark beats with hunmour and everything in between.

You're not going to listen to this and nod along - it's something you need to concentrate on but it's well worth buying purely to sit, open-mouthed in shock, at how talented this guy is!

A Crow Left of the Murder... [CD + DVD]
A Crow Left of the Murder... [CD + DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars I've tried SO hard..., 8 Aug. 2006
I'm a HUGE fan of incubus, but this album just doesn't do it for me. I realise that their sound has developed over every single album and, up until this one, I would have said that it had consistantly improved.

There are some good tracks on here and it's well worth buying if you're a fan, but I was SO disappointed with it. I've tried to let it grow on me, but there's just too much filler here and Brandon Boyd seems to have jumped too far onto the political bandwagon! Anti-TV, anti-capitalism, anti-everything really. Whilst some bands pull this off, Brandon Boyd is known for his poetic lyrics, not his politically charged ones and, honestly, he needs to stick to what he's good at!

Canon EOS 300 / EOS Rebel 2000 35mm Film Camera - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value camera you'll ever find!, 8 Aug. 2006
This camera was aimed at the "first SLR" market but managed to find its way into the bags of many pro photographers as a flawless back-up camera. I can't say enough good things about this piece of kit - I used mine for about 3 years, have travelled the world with it and it still works as perfectly as the first day I bought it. More than can be said for most cameras I'm afraid.

Whilst not as bomb-proof as the EOS 1 (£1500), this camera has done nothing to disappoint me and I have had some AMAZING results from it.

Like I said, for the price, this is one of the best analog SLRs you could possibly buy. Difficult to get hold of because they were replaced with the smaller EOS 1v (which I cannot stand due to its stupidly small size and utterly pointless battery-wasting LCD display).

Get hold of one if you can, you will NOT be disappointed!

The Neon Handshake
The Neon Handshake
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good and it's a grower!, 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: The Neon Handshake (Audio CD)
I bought this album after having heard them in some dingy club in Bournemouth. Apparently they had signed up for the gig before they released this album and started to seel records in considerable numbers. They tried to pull out of the gig (if you saw the place, you wouldn't blame them one bit) but found they would be breaking a contract. They still rocked the place and I was amazed at how much they had improved (having seen them in Plymouth before that). This album rocks from the very first moment you press play and, unlike many albums released around the same time, it actually grows on you (this is one of the main criteria in my opinion for a truly good album). The singles are the stand-out tracks but there are a LOT of excellent tunes on here and it'll keep you entertained for many hours! Buy it! Now.

Searching for my rizla [VINYL]
Searching for my rizla [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic early-90s rave!, 8 Aug. 2006
You really can't beat this - it's certainly one of those floor fillers if there's anyone over the age of 25 in the club. For those under 25, it's an education in what rave music should be about - witty, catchy and guaranteed to put a smile on your face!

History of Surfing
History of Surfing
by Nat Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but he's opinionated!, 8 Aug. 2006
This review is from: History of Surfing (Paperback)
Anyone who has ever read his autobiography "Nat's Nat and that's that" will be fully aware that Nat Young is an individual with, shall we say, strong opinions. He has his own view of the sport of surfing and he's more than happy to share it in what is actually a very lucid and easy-to-read style. He does, however, tend to bypass aspects of surfing history in which he wasn't specifically involved, discounting it entirely in some cases.

This style of writing (and indeed speaking) has landed him in trouble more than once - the infamous "surf rage" incident in a parking lot comes to mind, where he was soundly beaten for (allegedly) ripping into some guy's son for very little reason. It is, however, an interesting read and provides a good picture of the development and progression in the sport. I personally cannot stand his arrogance and bigotted comments but it was an invaluable resource during my projects at uni!

A Crow Left Of The Murder