Profile for trulymadly > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
I Let You Go
I Let You Go

3.0 out of 5 stars nasty narrative, 5 Nov. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Kindle Edition)
This was a nasty book in lots of ways. I was uncomfortable with the way the female protagonist was portrayed.The twist in the middle was effective, but the other twist was predictable and the book dragged on towards the end. The climax was corny and clichéd and felt like it had been written in order for a film with contrived horror moments in mind.

Bandai Badge It! Badge Maker (Styles May Vary)
Bandai Badge It! Badge Maker (Styles May Vary)

1.0 out of 5 stars Lovely idea...frustrating in reality., 27 April 2015
One star because it's totally unpredictable...pot luck as to whether it will actually work or not means it's frustrating and annoying.

Second Life
Second Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Second life: second book so-so disappointing, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Second Life (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Before I go to sleep, so was expecting more of the same slick writing, engaging narrative etc. Sadly, I found this book really disappointing. Firstly, the main character is a humourless and selfish individual whose ideas about sexuality were worryingly bleak at times. I am sure SJ Watson would justify his characterization by saying there are people who enjoy being 'almost raped by a stranger', but as a representation of a close to middle aged woman with a husband and son, I found her sexual interactions awkward and bordering on offensive at times. It didn't help that her constant first person narrative droned on and on. We hear virtually every thought she has and this just added to my lack of empathy for her. Then 'twists' were either completely predictable - (why she wouldn't have guessed the identity of two very important characters is beyond me) or utterly ridiculous - (the back story about her twenties in Berlin felt contrived and forced), and it seemed patronising to expect the audience not to have cottoned on within the first few chapters. On the plus side, I did finish it by skipping through most of the descriptions in the last 15 pages (the book is too long and the end felt drawn out) and picking out the dialogue just so I could confirm my suspicions. A nasty book with little to redeem it, other than the author seems genuinely lovely. I wonder how much pressure was applied to him to get another book out quickly after the success of his first? The result is a very poor second.

The State We're In
The State We're In

1.0 out of 5 stars urghhhhhhh, 5 Jan. 2015
Clichéd pathetic characters I wanted to kick and hoped would die.

Quadra classic book bag in black
Quadra classic book bag in black
Offered by TSHIRT PRINTING 4 U

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Quadra classic book bag (Shoes)
Great value, well made. Only downside is it doesn't seem to quite fit a flat manilla folder.

Us
Us

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't disappointed. Lots of people have commented on the characters ..., 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Us (Kindle Edition)
I read One Day and found it very readable and was looking forward to this book. I wasn't disappointed. Lots of people have commented on the characters being unlikeable, but rather, I found them quite real. In fact most of us aren't surrounded by people who are perfect, calm, bright and thoughtful all of the time. The characters needed a 'side' to them to make them seem real and like you and I (broadly speaking). I really liked the travel descriptions and dipping in and out of the art galleries made for an added dimension. I enjoyed the light humour and the book felt honest and reflective without being glib or mawkish. I recommended it to my Dad who normally enjoys something much more cerebral and he has already commented on the quality of the writing and the engaging plot, so I feel vindicated! I can see the screenplay being penned: David Morrisey, Emma Thompson and the baby-faced one from Fresh Meat perhaps!?

Life After Life
Life After Life

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointed..., 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I have loved every other Kate Atkinson book. I even bought the 'proper' book version rather than getting it on my kindle. I got to page 195 and I just couldn't be bothered to read anymore. The historical angle was dull, the characters were unlikeable and nothing at all happened. Really disappointed as the concept excited me greatly.

Roll Flitzer bike for ages 18 to 36 months - indoor/outdoor use - 0.8kg
Roll Flitzer bike for ages 18 to 36 months - indoor/outdoor use - 0.8kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but went down well with my son!, 5 Jan. 2014
It's a great little bike that has been used to commute from lounge to kitchen via hallway a lot since xmas. It is very light and seems sturdy. Pleased with my purchase.

Tales From Acorn Wood: Three lift-the-flap stories
Tales From Acorn Wood: Three lift-the-flap stories
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars A real fave !, 5 Jan. 2014
After having read this book to my son approximately 495 times, I can safely say he likes it. I used to. Stopped at around 29 reads.

Lenovo Yoga 10-inch Tablet (Silver Grey Metal) - Tablet (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.2)
Offered by MCO SUPPLIES UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet and photos - perfect!, 5 Jan. 2014
I bought this tablet as an alternative to schlepping my laptop about all over the place.
I speak as a fairly ignorant user of technology, but if you are after a review from someone who just wants to go online, look at photos and install and uninstall the odd game or app, then I am your woman.

The tablet is lovely to look at and I actually quite like having the spine to hold onto. I have found the screen resolution fine and the sound is ok too - not too tinny at all. Photo/video quality ok, but that's not what I bought it for really.
Easy to navigate and create your own home page.
The battery has been excellent so far...I didn't have to charge it for 5 days (I had used it for at least 2-3 hours every day).
The only downside is the cost of the case which seems pretty steep, however, I am holding on for a cheaper version.
I am really happy with the tablet.

Page: 1 | 2