Profile for A reader from Italy > Reviews

Content by A reader from ...

A reader from Italy

Page: 1 | 2
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
by Thich Nhat Hanh

5.0 out of 5 stars I would deeply recommend it to anyone who like me often feels he ..., 5 Sept. 2017
This book was helpful from minute one. I've only had it for a week or so but since I started reading it I began relating to the child in me or myself as a child and it has helped immensely. For example I've been able to realise that a deep feeling of loneliness | normally carry with me wasn't so much something I was experiencing now but something that dated back years. And acknowledging that helped me also realise that I was no longer as lonely as I used to be as a child. I would deeply recommend it to anyone who like me often feels he or she is the only person with issues or in pain while everyone seems so self confident and cheery.

The Forty Rules of Love
The Forty Rules of Love
by Elif Shafak

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 5 Sept. 2017
I found this book very inspiring. I knew almost nothing about Shams of Tabriz and I thought this book did a wonderful job of portraying him and conveying his message. The book itself is not particularly well written I thought, the dialogues taking place in XIII century Konya sound out of context, I think at some point Shams or somebody else uses the word 'cliches' in a conversation, did that concept even exist in the 1200s? Aside from that (and the fact that the whole Ella's story despite being quite gripping initially ends with a cliche) I quite loved the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a reading with a spiritual depth.

Ish
Ish
by Peter H. Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Ish (Paperback)
I find this book the work of a genius. I bought it for my perfectionist 7-year-old son who, unfortunately, remained unconvinced by the possiblity of embracing an -ish kind of life but has nevertheless started composing -ish kind of poems since we read it. I deeply recommend it, especially to anyone who has a child who gets excessively frustrated when a drawing or anything else is not up to (self-imposed and quite high) standards.

Dickensian [DVD] [2015]
Dickensian [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Stephen Rea

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Dickensian [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I enjoyed it enormously despite my not so thorough knowledge of Dickens and as an added bonus it has made want to get to know Dickens' works more extensively.

A Little Life: Shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2015
A Little Life: Shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2015
by Hanya Yanagihara

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and compelling, 29 Mar. 2016
I usually find it impossible to overlook a lack of complete credibility in a novel. The fact that I devoured this book and would not hesitate to recommend it is proof of how compelling the story is and how well the characters are portrayed and their relationships explored. The extent of the abuses endured by Jude is sometimes hard to believe, also in light of the extraordinary kindness he is lucky enough to encounter later in life. It's as if its life is split in two and the first part if populated only by horrible monsters - actively evil or equally cruelly indifferent to his plight - the meeting with kind social worker Ana marking a sort of watershed. Also the glossiness of Jude's and his friends' lives in New York, the stylish lofts, the top law firm, the successful acting career, the sold out arts show, at times feels like too much. But these are minor sins, as Jude's craving for the self-inflicted cuts, his inner struggles, his inability to overcome the self hatred felt credible enough to me, and made me easily forget about all the rest (aside from the fact that after the flashbacks that immerse you into the horror stories from Jude's earlier years getting back to their polished present day New York lives comes as a big relief)

Classic Stories for Little Children: Picture Storybook (Usborne Picture Storybooks)
by Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pictures, 27 May 2014
My 5-year old enjoys this book, and I personally like the illustrations a lot. We haven't read all the stories and, inevitably, when you know the extended version of a story reading an extremely concise one is somewhat disappointing - but he dosn't have this problem of course and I would definitely recommend the book.

Viking or Knight Helmet for Kids. Norman Nasal Helmet. Costume Accessory
Viking or Knight Helmet for Kids. Norman Nasal Helmet. Costume Accessory
Offered by Golden Rooster

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, it's light and seems durable., 16 Dec. 2013
I had been looking around for an knight helmet for my 4-year old son as he's asked for one for Christmas, this is by far the best I've come across. It is light but feels sturdy enough, I had seen some awful versions in cardboard (heavy and rigid!) or cloth here in Italy. This one came from Lithuania, the shipping fees were very low and it arrived quickly and in perfect conditions. It looks great. We've yet to test it as it's a Christmas gift but the material doesn't seem easily breakable.

Percy the Park Keeper [1999] - The Secret Path / The Rescue Party [DVD]
Percy the Park Keeper [1999] - The Secret Path / The Rescue Party [DVD]
Dvd ~ Percy the Park Keeper

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves Percy, 29 May 2013
My 3 and 1/2 year old boy never tires of watching Percy and his animal friends' adventures. Personally, I particularly like the music and the fact that dialogues are very simple so he's able to follow them even though English is not his first language.

No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years Into Cherished Moments with Your Kids
by Robert A Harley

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 29 May 2013
I am reading this book as suggested by the author -- by leaving it in the bathroom and reading random bits at random times (actually that's the only way I can take handbooks about parenting). I have found quite a few useful tips, some of them very precious. I like the fundamental message the author tries to hammer into parents' heads. Every minute spent with your children is incredibly precious and you'll regret not having made the most of it because you were knackered after a bad day at work or hunted by a long list of things to do. Turning 'together time' into your 'downtime', easier said than done but worth a try.

Larger than Life
Larger than Life

2.0 out of 5 stars No more Adele Parks for me, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Larger than Life (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book by Adele Parks I've read and it will be my last. I started with Whatever it takes which I liked. I enjoyed less About last night but went on to read Larger than life driven by the reviews and I didn't like it at all. I could not warm up to the main character, a woman chiefly defined by her obsession for a man, whose best friend is chiefly defined by her obsession to get married. Doesn't it sound a little too simplistic? For me the characters were poorly construed and the author tried to compensate for that by trying too hard to make the protagonist's pregnancy experience something that should have the reader read out loud. Most of the time I didn't and simply found the exaggerations annoying.

Page: 1 | 2