Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Photofox" (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
samsung AA59-00507A remote control for 3d tv
samsung AA59-00507A remote control for 3d tv
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 17 Jan. 2014
It's a remote control and does, indeed, control my TV set since the original gave up the ghost.
There are so many Samsung remote controls, you have to be careful to select the correct one.

Don McCullin: The Impossible Peace: From War Photographs to Landscapes, 1958-2011
by Sandro Parmiggiani

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing photos, 17 Jan. 2014
Don McCullin specialised in war and emotional photography and he does a superb job. Vietnam, Northern Ireland, other zones of conflict are brought vividly to life; they are however very dark and disturbing
His later work is of landscapes and some still life. Unfortunately, though, his earlier work seems to still haunt him because the landscapes are dark and broody. His still life flat and unemotional. It's a pity he couldn't have brought a spark of light and hope to them.
It's still a great book; one you can browse through and find new focal points each time.

Bosch Tassimo TAS5542GB Hot Drinks and Coffee Machine, 1300 W - Black
Bosch Tassimo TAS5542GB Hot Drinks and Coffee Machine, 1300 W - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems at all (so far), 6 Dec. 2013
I agonised for ages about getting one of these machines as I heard people say they were no good and the coffee awful.
Eventually I asked my wife for one as an early Christmas present and have been using it for three weeks now.
I find it brilliant! I tend to make black coffee (either Kenco or Costa) and whiten it with a coffee whitener...not the Tassimo creamers. The coffee is delicious and the cappuccinos are very good. By juggling the "full" and "half" cup options, you can adjust the strength and volume to your liking.
No regrets about buying it.

TASSIMO T-disc / Capsules, 37 FLAVOURS (46 T-discs)
TASSIMO T-disc / Capsules, 37 FLAVOURS (46 T-discs)
Offered by E.U. Xtores

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Dec. 2013
Having just bought a Tassimo (and loving it) I thought this assorted pack would be useful for me to get to "know" the range and try different types.
Well, the Pods arrived jumbled up in a brown box and I have absolutely no idea what to do with some of them! There are coffees, creamers and teas, plus some written in German(?). I have never seen half of them on sale anywhere.
I am slowly working my way through them by guesswork and they all taste fine. but it would have been of far more help if they had been sorted better and with some vague tips on how to use them.

Django Unchained  (DVD) [2013]
Django Unchained (DVD) [2013]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Tarantino!, 29 Oct. 2013
I ordered this before reading the negative reviews and became disappointed, feeling it would be a let down. However, I really enjoyed it. Plenty of blood and gore, as you'd expect; some really funny moments and touching ones. Excellent acting from Waltz, Foxx and De Caprio.. OK, it did get a little "comic book" towards the end but I could live with that.
The most disturbing thing was how the black slaves were treated, which I guess is mainly accurate. Some scenes where the plantation owners ill treated their slaves were truly pitiful.
To sum up, I'd say it was a cross between Pulp Fiction and The Good the Bad and the Ugly, if you can imagine that!

Philips SensoTouch RQ1275/17 Gyroflex 3D Electric Shaver
Philips SensoTouch RQ1275/17 Gyroflex 3D Electric Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, so Good, 24 Oct. 2013
I used Philips razors for many years but then changed to a couple of straight cut ones for a change (I tend to change my shaver every three years or so, rather than buy expensive replacement cutters). Now I've gone back to a rotary Philips and am very impressed. It's probably the best electric shave I've had for many a year. It cuts close, it's quiet, it's quick and it's stylish, so I have no complaints.I washed it out after four shaves and was amazed at the amount of stubble hair it had managed to extract.
I've only been using it for two weeks and must admit that my beard is quite moderate and not a toughie so we'll see how it goes.
Oh! and the battery is still showing plenty of charge left after those two weeks.

I never use it wet but would recommend using Boots Pre Shave lotion (in an amber bottle). It really is good for getting the stubble prepared and help give a smooth feel to the face.

Submarine [DVD]
Submarine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Craig Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Submarine [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD cover promised "laugh out loud" moments; well, I must have missed them when dozed off for a few minutes half way through.
It's an OK story which has been done many times in various guises. A young boy has a crush on a girl and has to suffer the usual heartaches of growing up. Quite interesting and I did manage a couple of smiles along the way, but overall very mediocre.

Alcibiades
Alcibiades

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed!, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Alcibiades (Kindle Edition)
If you are looking for an historical account of the life of Alcibiades, don't bother with this book. It glosses over the man's life, recounting (very briefly) the usual key points. But nothing new is forthcoming. It is also historically incorrect, unless all the other books I've read have been wrong.
Most of the book is a series of speeches and philosophical dialogue, generally surrounding the teachings of Socrates. Indeed, the book covered more of the philosopher's life than Alcibiades'
I read somewhere that the author was comparing the fall of Athens with modern, western power. If that's the case, then it went over my head. The writing is in modern style eg: "kiss my ass" and I never heard before of a space ship landing in Athens and Socrates chatting to the occupants! I guess the whole metaphor escaped me.
I just wanted a new angle on the life of Alcibiades and was very disappointed.

Venice Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
Venice Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
by Marco Polo
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful Guide, 10 Oct. 2013
Contains a lot of detail and is laminated to preserve it.
Little awkward to read the smaller prints and to unfold on a windy day.

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars A Return to Form!, 1 Sept. 2013
I was disappointed with the last Reacher book. I felt it too slow and ponderous. But this one is right back on track with some predictable punch ups and the usual crew who think they can out smart or out fight our Jack. Like all of Lee Child's books, it's an easy read with some neat lateral thinking on Reacher's part.Even though there are pages where nothing at all happens, you still have to keep page turning because you know a fight or a revelation will occur any minute.
My only grumble was that I have to read these books in a couple of sittings and they are over all too soon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20