Profile for J. L. Papworth > Reviews

Content by J. L. Papworth

J. L. Papworth "jasonpapworth"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Power of the Damager
Power of the Damager
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars the 'Sure Deoderant' of the Rock world returns....., 21 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Power of the Damager (Audio CD)
That's right, Prong don't let you down. Their first release since Scorpio Rising and it's more business as usual. For me Prong always had a completely different sound to any other band. Scorpio Rising lost some of their earlier groove and instant riffs and replaced them with increased power and beligerence. Not a bad thing but it took a few more plays than previous releases to get the nuances of the songs. Once they were in your brain they stayed like all the others. POTD takes up where Scorpio finished but adds more thrashy elements too. The reason it's only four stars is because the production is the poorest on any Prong album so far. Rude Awakening remains the only CD on my i-pod that I HAVE to turn down its crystal clarity is so vicious. Also very strange here seeing as how Al Jourgenson was at the production helm and the Ministry sound is s**t hot. Here the production is a bit hit and miss and 'muddy' at times, particularly the snare drum. Don't get me wrong it's still not as bad as Lars banging on a Peak Fean biscuit tin on St Anger; it just detracts a bit. If you're a Prong fan then you won't be disappointed. Personal faves are No Justice and Spirit Guide. Enjoy

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars blandola, 29 Sept. 2007
I can only assume those reviewers giving this album 5 stars are deluding themselves and thought, like me, that the Foos were incapable of making a crap album. Unfortunately that's not the case and there's not one song here that I would transfer over to my i-pod, whereas it's usually 75% of their album content that make the transition. I simply can't believe that this is the follow up to In Your Honour. I'm even logging on to Amazon Marketplace now to sell it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2008 3:45 PM BST

Deschooling Society (Open Forum)
Deschooling Society (Open Forum)
by Ivan Illich

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking as usual, 14 Sept. 2003
Once again Ivan Illich goes for the jugular vein of capitalist society suggesting institutions, here education, render people less prone to self reliance and improvment, while maintaining 'cushy number' occupations for the middle classes through professional protectionism. While criticising he is not unforthcoming, as in his other works, to suggesting remedies. Some of which are more than plausible and pragmatic, particularly in a more computer driven age than thirty years ago when the book was written. I haven't given five stars because there's a turgid chapter toward the end when he tries analogies between modern man and Greek mythology to explain his arguments. This and the fact that that he's disposed to a rather disengaging, waffly style of prose at times lose him marks in MY classroom I'm afraid!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2015 12:26 PM GMT

Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, VERY disappointing, 4 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Audio CD)
I didn't even know this record had been released til I read a review in a music mag in town this morning. Naturally, owning everything else Rush have ever done, I went straight away to buy a copy. I wish I hadn't; this recording just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid. The tendency to lapse into the realm of three decent songs and the rest being fillers started with "Counterparts" progressed on "Test for Echo" and has come to full fruition here on "Vapor Trails". Lamentable as it seemed, I wanted to turn it off after ten songs such was my boredom at the level of similarity encountered. I know you shouldn't perhaps judge a new opus by comparing it to previous ones, but I honestly challenge all but the hardiest Rush partisan to find a song here that could find a place on albums like "Power Windows" or "Signals". Obviously it seems the band have changed their style again and there's nothing at all wrong with that if the previous standards of quality are maintained.... Loathe as I am to say it, perhaps the time has come for Rush to call it a day rather than end their days endlessly living on the past glories of 2112, Spirit of Radio, Closer to the Heart and Marathon.

Rant In E-Minor
Rant In E-Minor
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars ...an unnoticed star gone supernova, 25 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Rant In E-Minor (Audio CD)
Without being too pretentious I think the above analogy works quite well. From what I'm led to believe his career(and genius) did go largely unnoticed while he was alive, probably due to his unwavering attitude to media and his cutting edge opinions. After his death I think more people have been awakened to his previous presence, and thankfully like all extinguished stars, I'm certain his material will inexorably draw you in and leave you unable to escape. I bought this having heard "A killer idea" from "Relentless" at a friend's house and almost wet myself that someone could be so sick, and yet observantly funny at the same time. I thought I would only listen to it once and put it away in the cupboard to gather dust. After all, you listen to music repeatedly but the same jokes over and over? Come on. Suffice to say I've played this CD repeatedly and never tired of it. One of the highest compliments I can pay is to say that his work reminds me of that by Henry Rollins; art that makes you feel slightly less alone in a world that most of the time appears to have gone mad.

Smile, You're Traveling: Black Coffee Blues Pt.3
Smile, You're Traveling: Black Coffee Blues Pt.3

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank the lord for Rollins, 25 Nov. 2001
I bought this book in London prior to flying out to the Maldives where, unbeknown to myself, my first holiday in twenty months was to be spent among 150 newlyweds gazing dewy eyed at one another on an island measuring 800m x 150m. This book was a life saver for a single, travelling guy surrounded and trapped by honeymooning, nubial decadents. I don't think this is Rollins best book by any means. At present from what I've read of his back catalogue that honour goes to "Solipsist". However, once again if you do consider yourself an outsider and sometimes get lonely, then Rollins has an uncanny knack of rendering those feelings obsolete for a little while. One of the best moments in the book is where the man gets to meet his teenage heroes Black Sabbath, and even a confirmed misanthrope like Rollins can't hide his genuine childlike delight at such an event. In amongst all the angst and pain that he seems to feel and project in his life offstage it's nice to see that he can garner some joy from living.

Invisible Monsters
Invisible Monsters
by Chuck Palahniuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Epigrammatic, 24 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
I have to say if I hadn't have read at least two of the reviews below then I wouldn't have finished the book. I don't know whether it was the author's intention, but the style and content of the first 120 pages of the book really do leave you wondering whether the next 180 will be worth your time. I stuck with it though and ultimately was pleasantly surprised with the finale. There are more coincidences and frayed threads brought together here than in the film "Magnolia", and the ideas about beauty and those 'afflicted' with it, are worth reflecting on..if you're no oil painting and feeling in a generous mood!

Solipsist (Henry Rollins)
Solipsist (Henry Rollins)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 24 Nov. 2001
I've read about five of Rollins books now and while they all show intermittent glimpses into the mind of this self-confessed outsider/loner and his venomous diatribes against the weak, shallow, decadent and flabby, nowhere have I found his vitriol so concentrated and beautifully pure as in "Solipsist". I once considered it sacrilege to write on books and yet I've had to break that taboo here to remind me where all the literary jewels are to be found in this work. It will certainly NOT appeal to some but it would be those who Rollins lashes that wouldn't pick up the book anyway. For the rest of us who prefer our company to that of the herd, there are many offerings here which will catch you nodding in agreement, laughing outright, or just downright happy that there's someone in this world who can externalise your angst if you haven't the literary talent yourself.

Electro-Shock Blues
Electro-Shock Blues
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Defies description, 11 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Electro-Shock Blues (Audio CD)
A Canadian friend recommended I try out the Eels a while back but I never caved in til last week. I read the reviews on Amazon after I bought it and was expecting a bit of a dirge really. Wrong, so wrong. This piece defies description. I've never seen musical eclecticism taken to such an xtreme in the diversity of styles. Lyrically it's rare you'll find a writer who can be quirky, poignant,humourous and inspiring all in one song. That is done with ease on more than one occasion here. I know it's wrong to pigeon-hole bands but they remind me of Sonic Youth in their more reflective moments, the Lemonheads in terms of lyrics, and Neil Young in trems of vocal delivery. Suffice to say I shall be adding the rest of their back catalogue to my CD collection in he coming weeks.

Black Coffee Blues (Henry Rollins)
Black Coffee Blues (Henry Rollins)

5.0 out of 5 stars viva Rollins, 3 Nov. 2001
Questions....Do you have an occupation that takes you away from home on a regular basis for weeks at a time? When you're at home, does it actually feel like 'home', or how others describe their homes? Are you an authentic human being that loathes mediocrity in all it's forms? Would you rather be working than have 'leisure time'? Are you alienated from your parents and family? Would you prefer to stay in most of the time in your own company, reading excellent literature and listening to music YOU like, rather than listen to pop-pap, and ingrates whingeing and talking bulls**t in most social situations in which you find yourself? Do you always feel painfully lonely and like an 'outsider', no matter how hard you try, and no matter how well you get on with people after having read "HTWFAIP" by Dale Carnegie? If the answer is yes to at least two of the above then you'll find Mr Rollins has no equal in making you feel slightly less lonely in this world and modern times. Buy any of his books,this one for instance, and read them when you inevitably hit the low periods you have (will have) seeing as you answered yes to some of the above questions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4