Profile for I. Evaggelidis > Reviews

Content by I. Evaggelidis

I. Evaggelidis "John" (Athens, Greece)

Wrath [Limited Edition: Digi-Pack]
Wrath [Limited Edition: Digi-Pack]

5.0 out of 5 stars The best metal CD ever.., 8 Mar. 2009
I've been listening to this kind of music and to almost all of its subgenres for as long as I can remember. My favourite bands are Pantera, Machine Head, Metallica, Mastodon, In Flames, Sepultura, The Haunted, Nevermore and of course Lamb Of God. Lamb of God are currently I think on the peak of their career. After creating astonishing albums like As The Palaces Burn and Ashes Of The Wake they were due to create their best album ever sometime. And Wrath certainly is that album - maybe even the best metal album along with a really few others. In Wrath LOG demonstrate an outstanding creativity with their playing being flawless. Their best riffs are in this album and certainly it is a GIANT step forward. I liked Sacrament, but apart from a few tracks the predecessor of Wrath draws its power mostly from the gloomy atmosphere that is evident on the entire ambum, rather than by some truly genuine ideas and riffs. It is a great album, but nevertheless it could have been produced by a number of other bands as well. With Wrath LOG really take their music to next level: 11 tracks that are equally impressive (okay maybe Set To Fail is a bit weak compared to the others) and all in all, an album that will remain unsurpassed. I've never listened to an album before that would make such a positive impression on me from the first rehearsal. This album is Set To Rule..

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
Offered by UK-Bargain-Cellar

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a great step forward for the series., 24 Oct. 2007
To begin with, I may be the only one here that writes a review for this game after having played it. I tested the game at a preview at FNAC for the PS3 platform. Earlier I had played the demo for the PC which doesn't resemble much to the game I tested on PS3.
To begin with I also tried FIFA 08 because of the positive reviews it had collected. FIFA 08 does well in the fields of graphics, commentary, official licences and this time round its gameplay has been greatly improved. Still it is a mediocre game and of course feels less footy than PES 2008. But it certainly isn't a bad game.
Now, about PES 2008 I must say that the first glimpse on the game was certainly positive. Textures and graphics in general have been hugely improved. However there are some drawbacks: there is a great drop in the framerate in replays and a slight drop in the framerate in some points during the game (mainly when many players appear on screen). Apart from that the game certainly looks good.
Secondly, the franchise hasn't gone a step further in getting as much official licenses as possible. Although I am not an FA league fan, I don't like the fact that only Newcastle and Tottenham have signed an agreement with KONAMI. Maybe KONAMI prefers to save some money, since most people download patches that feature official budges, names and kits for all teams.
Lastly, I will comment on the most important (for most people) fact of the game: its gameplay. The game feels like PES 6 and the flow of the game is only a little slower than that of its predecessor. Shooting has been partially improved and you can feel the difference when shooting in one-on-ones. The set pieces have been improved of course, because they were pretty awful in the previous version of the game. Passing is still almost identical but it is true that the game seems less repetitive than PES 6. One parameter that annoyed me, however, is that the game is pretty easy. I played one game (Inter vs Arsenal) at the Top Player level and finished the game having 13 shots on target against 0 from my opponents. Maybe it is because I have played all the previous games (from the SNES era until now) for about more than 200 hours each (and for more than 1000 hours for some of them!), but I think it is the first time that I play a new PES game at top level and it seems easy from me right from the beginning.
All in all, the game is visually impressive at first, but it isn't a huge step forward. However, it is as entertaining as the best of its predecessors (PES 1,3,5) and you can probably heartily stick to it for the next season. Nevertheless, my opinion is that KONAMI could have done better because the game's fan base is getting more and more demanding.