Profile for Kenneth J. Morris > Reviews

Content by Kenneth J. Morris

Kenneth J. Morris (Burton-upon Trent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
NYJO Fifty
NYJO Fifty

2.0 out of 5 stars Showing signs of age., 4 Feb. 2016
This review is from: NYJO Fifty (Audio CD)
As an enthusiastic supporter of big-band jazz and, in particular, Youth Jazz Orchestras (especially my two local 'champions' Walsall Jazz Orch. and the Midlands Youth Jazz Orchestra), I pay particular attention to what NYJO gets up to expecting a 'pacemaker'. On this occasion I was bitterly disappointed. CD 1, containing the 'more progressive' charts failed to ring any bells. Brilliant musicianship but most tracks lacked structure, any sort of melodic theme or novel harmonies - one exception: "Rush Hour" (arr. Nick Dewhurst). CD 2, containing eleven tracks of discernible melodies fared better with some excellent sax solos (Jim Gold, Tom Ridout, Sam Glasser and David Healey) and from other guests Mark Nightingale and Gareth Lockrane. However across the two discs I thought 6 vocals were 5 too many and thro'out the drums were over-recorded.

Integrale Charlie Parker Vol. 9 1950-51 (3CD)
Integrale Charlie Parker Vol. 9 1950-51 (3CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Parker's best solos., 4 Feb. 2016
This 3-CD set from Fremeaux Associes (France), along with its companion Vol 10, contain some of the best Parker solos ever captured. Unfortunately the recording methods, the venues and some of his supporting musicians fall well below the standards most of us are used to so do not expect high quality - just savour the extraordinary fluency of CP's improvisation. As usual Alain Tercinet, the producer of this Fremeaux series, provides a dual language discographical booklet containing full detains of every track.

Crown and Country: A History of England through the Monarchy
Crown and Country: A History of England through the Monarchy
by David Starkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling., 28 Jan. 2016
History written in a most entertaining way - if only books like this had been around when I was in my teens I am pretty sure I would have junked chemistry and settled for an entirely different career. With the luxury (?) of being retired from any sort of day job I do find myself looking out for alternative sources to DS - particularly after.some of his alarming disclosures. Nevertheless a fine read.

A Big Phat Christmas Wrap This
A Big Phat Christmas Wrap This

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like modern big-band jazz buy this for next Christmas!, 20 Jan. 2016
Current music fashions don't really do any favors for the big-band enthusiast - too few outfits appear on CD these days. Gordon Goodwin's bunch of Los Angeles based studio musicians are world-class and when delivering either section work or solos on Gordon's charts present the listener with awesome ear-candy. This new disc, in-appropriately reviewed after Christmas, is right up to standard and the very best of its genre "big band modern jazz".

A Dictionary of Marketing (Oxford Quick Reference)
A Dictionary of Marketing (Oxford Quick Reference)
by Charles Doyle

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful guide for both businessfolk and marketing students., 20 Jan. 2016
An excellent reference book or a book just to dip into - always assuming you're seriously into the subject. However if your interest/inquisitiveness is in the area of e-marketing (use of Facebook.Twitter etc) you will need some of the more recent specialist texts available from Amazon.

McAfee Total Protection with Latest Updates for Unlimited Devices- Award Winning Protection For Every Device You Own (FFP) (PC/Mac/Android/iOS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money., 20 Jan. 2016
Third year in a row I've used this product on my Lenovo lap-top. It works very well although I find a need to cancel Windows (7) Auto Up-date when switching on after a long period of non-use as the McAfee up-dating and Auto Up-date "fight" for resources and slow the process considerably.

SoundPEATS B10 Headphones, Noise Cancelling Headphones for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, Sony, MP3 Music Players etc
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary value for money., 13 Jan. 2016
I have just finished testing these buds with various bits of kit (IPod, PC Soundblaster, Samsung Galaxy Ace, my Hi-Fi and a portable DVD player). They performed incredibly well for such a modestly priced item. Most of the music auditioned was either "big-band" jazz, choirs or single reed instruments (i.e. clarinets/saxophones). Obviously the weakest area was the bass spectrum but even this was acceptable in the 'mobile'/private listening situations where buds are necessary.. Extraordinary value for money.

Memwah USB 3.0 SD Card Reader - Fast USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Adapter for all SD, SDHC, SDXC Memory Cards
Offered by KING OF FLASH

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful in the car., 24 Dec. 2015
Have purchased a new car sans CD player but with a USB stick input to an impressive audio/'infotainment' system I found a great use for this adapter. With the price of SD cards so low I can load specific themes from my collection on to extremely affordable media which takes up minimal space.

Braun 32B Replacement Foil Multi Silver BLS Cassette
Braun 32B Replacement Foil Multi Silver BLS Cassette
Offered by DREAM FIELD

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom of the Braun range but effective.nonetheless., 24 Dec. 2015
Having bought a Braun 32D electric razor some two years ago for normal once daily shaving I was encouraged to find that I only needed to replace the shaving head after two years. For those new to this Braun device I should point out that for my beard/skin type (light/thin) the lighter the razor pressure the closer the shave.

Spotify Music
Spotify Music

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine service for jazz lovers on fast broad-band., 24 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Spotify Music (App)
After some 70 years of record collecting (every conceivable format) I've finally realized that my particular "bag" (modern jazz) is so well covered by this streaming service that my next step is to engineer a Bluetooth link from my computer to my hi-fi and release my long suffering wife from dusting piles of 45's, LP's, cassette tapes, CD's and mini-CD's. I started with the "free" (advert-carrying) service but up-graded to the £4:99/month service after a year. It suits me just fine - except when all my neighbors in the village (not yet on fast broad-band) decide to watch the same film on Netflix or its equivalents.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20