Profile for P. Burgham > Reviews

Content by P. Burgham

P. Burgham "Pedros" (Chester, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Buzz! Pop Quiz - Solus (PS2)
Buzz! Pop Quiz - Solus (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Buzz games but there is room for improvement, 21 Mar. 2008
I've always been a massive fan of the buzz games owning all of them (except the junior ones) since they were introduced. Normally i'd give a buzz game five stars as they provide that much entertainment but I feel this version of the game has made some improvements but also some things that affect the game play.

I have to say i've been looking forward to a new music quiz game as it's been quite a long time coming. Any Buzz game has alot going for it with the voice of Jason Donovan as the quiz show host and some well desgined characters that have gone through or been introduced during the series. One thing that could have helped this game is maybe introducing a few new characters as it's always fun to see what there like.

In comparison to the first music game released about 3-4years ago the quality of the music is much better. This is in that some of the original songs are used on the game rather than some difficult to make out instrumental covers on the original. The introduction of music videos (which have been used on subsequent buzz games) is another strength of this game over the original Buzz game.

One of the major things with the game is that the questions and answer options are in quite a small font (I don't have any sught problems but it is a real struggle). The questions are squashed into a third of the screen space which seems to have been partly done to show new animations of the characters dancing along to the music (which is pretty funny). But even though the new animations are a nice introduction I could have been a useful setting on the game to have an option of larger questions fonts.

The problems with the question font sizes isn't helped by some of the questions being a bit wordy. For example `this song was on a number one album released in 2006, what was the albums name?' The problem with some of the wordy questions are that by the time you've read the small font writing the time has run out before choosing an answer option.

Obviously my review is based on making comparisons with the previous Buzz games which are well worth a purchase. Don't feel that the game is all bad the actual rounds themselves are really good which includes the final round which is much better than the `final countdown' round on more recent Buzz games. Overall If you are experienced Buzz player you may have a few disappointments but if you've never seen the format before I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Family Guy Presents Blue Harvest (Ltd Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Family Guy Presents Blue Harvest (Ltd Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by mjs items

5.0 out of 5 stars First of what could be a series of Star Wars specials, 17 Dec. 2007
Anyone who is a fan of Star Wars and Family Guy are going to love this special! I was lucky to be over in the states when this was first aired. I am a big family guy fan but did feel the previous UK DVD release (series 6) was slightly weaker than some of the others. I think the episode is a real return to top form and from reading peoples reviews on lots of different family guy DVD releases I'm sure some people will not be happy with just the single special episode release. But extras like interviews with Seth McFarlane & George Lucas, episode commentary and a sneak preview of a reported sequel special (something, something, something dark side based on empire strikes back) I think it is worth getting.

I had high expectations for this episode which all starts with the family watching TV before all the power goes out. So Peter decides to tell the family the story of Star Wars starting with Episode 4. Peter plays Hans Solo, Lois is Princess Leia, Chris is Luke Skywalker, Stewie is Darth Vader, Brian is Chewbacca and Meg turns up as the monster in the garbage shoot. The show also includes a fair share of your favourite other characters turning up with Cleveland and Quagmire as R2D2 and C3PO, Herbert as Obi-Wan and Major West as Darth Vader's Grand Moff Tarkin. It is a little disappointing the episode doesn't have a great character like Joe in it or the Channel 5 news team. But from the reports that a second Star Wars I'm sure they'll make it into that episode.

The episode is titled after the secret name during the production of the Return of the Jedi film and contains lots of the typical family guy gags. There are hilarious homage's to Airplane, the late 70's game Asteroids, National Lampoons vacation, Deal or No Deal, Dirty Dancing, Pimp My Ride and my personal favourite Dr Who (when they go into hyperspace). Probably the best cut away gag is when Chris introduces John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra to play the music during the episode.

Overall I think if you're a massive fan of the show this is a must have. The special edition extras are 3D glasses for the fight scenes, special edition t-shirt and trading cards which are great for any family guy collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2009 9:21 PM GMT

Alan Carr - Tooth Fairy LIVE [DVD]
Alan Carr - Tooth Fairy LIVE [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars ...It's Me Alan, 15 Nov. 2007
As a massive fan of Justin and Alan on the Friday night project I thought seeing him live would definitely be worth a go. Went to see him in Manchester and it was one of the best live comedy shows I've been to. Obviously I know that camping it up and talk loudly and high pitched isn't everyone's cup of tea but I was in stitches for the whole of the set.

I'd never really seen any of Alan's stand up material before but thought it was original and very personal. I loved some of the stories about when he joined a local football team and was made captain because of who is dad is. Another personal favourite is when he talks about his experience of working in a supermarket and bomb scares.

The delivery of the material is great as I'm a big fan of the way Alan talks about the different characters in his sketches with plenty of scathing remarks. Other highlights include the dirty looks to the audience when they laugh at the various painful moments that get described.

I know that this is a fairly glowing review of his stand up material but I think it will certainly appeal to any Friday Night Project fan. I'm sure as I stated earlier this isn't maybe for everyone but I'm an around comedy fan who really enjoyed it. I did go and see the tour again in Liverpool which wasn't quite as good but I think looking at champions league scores on my phone did distract me a bit.

The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD]
The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Ayoade

4.0 out of 5 stars Better on a second viewing!, 10 Oct. 2007
I really enjoyed the first series of this show and have watched the DVD a number of times so was really looking forward to the second series when I heard there was going to be one. The first time I watched on the original run I didn't warm to the new boss and thought some of the episodes were stronger than others. But on second viewing from buying the DVD I really enojyed it and think it's up there with the first series.

Moss is a fantastic character although he is a little nerdy with his Hi-Tec silver shadows and stylish shirt he is fantastic! Roy again is a great character as he gets things wrong in almost every situation. As i mentioned earlier i didn't like the new boss Douglas (probably because I loved Chris Morris as Denholm so much) but on second viewing I got what it was all about. I do like Jen much more in the second series as she did get a bit irritating in some episodes in that series.

Anyway, there are some amazing episodes here! The episode where Moss goes on dragons den with his Abracada-Bra is genius. Other highlights are the dinner party episode which Jen has a dinner party with her new bloke (Peter whose surname File creates some great jokes!) unfortunatley for her she ends up having to invite Moss, Roy and Richmond as her male friends. Another of my favourite moments is the episode where Moss gets involved with a German cannibal.

Do be wary of the DVD in some respects I have had to take it back twice because all episodes played apart from the dragons den episode. It was very random as everything else worked fine. The extras as with the first series are fantastically introduced with funny computer style animations including an IT crowd version of lemmings.

I certainly think that this is worthy of a 3rd series as like other channel 4 shows like peep show its different and maintains its quality!

Hand Built By Robots
Hand Built By Robots
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't just be known as the guy who covers spongebob!, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Hand Built By Robots (Audio CD)
I've been looking forward to hearing more material by Newton since seeing him support James Morrison in February. On the night I bought the UFO E.P. and absolutely loved the songs on it.

I bought Hand Built By Robots yesterday and wasn't disappointed. My personal favourite songs at the moment are Feels Like Home, I Need Something, Dream Catch Me and Teardrop. I know that cover versions of classic songs like Teardrop aren't to everyone's taste but if you like cover versions like those on the Radio 1 Live Lounge this eclipses many of those covers! I think there are a number of other great songs on there and I'm sure my list of favourites will increase with even more listens.

Having seen him live I think that some of the sounds that Newton produces from what most of the time is just an acoustic guitar is fantastic! If you like the album definitely go and see him live as well.

I'd recommend anyone who likes the current crop of singer songwriters developing in the UK like James Morrison and Paolo Nutini and other artists like Ben Harper to check this out.

Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Hot Fuzz (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars How can I be a policeman-officer?, 30 April 2007
I really enjoyed this film for so many reasons and obviously the DVD release isn't until June 11th but I anticipate it to be a fantastic package. As a fan of Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost's previous work (Spaced & Shaun of the Dead) I can only base a DVD review on these other releases and the quality of the film.

Starting first with the film with the film it basically revolves around `super cop' Constable Nicholas Angel being promoted to sergeant and moved out to the English countryside (fictional town Sandford). The reason for this is described as his skills are making everyone else look bad in a hilarious scene with cameos from Martin Freeman (The Office & Love Actually), Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge) and Bill Nighy (Pirates of the Carribean & Love Actually). When Sgt Angel arrives in Sandford everything appears too good to be true!

There are a wide variety of assembled characters in Sandford not only from the police but the members of the Neighbourhood Watch Association (NWA - funny nod to 80's rappers!). The police team has a fantastic cast led by Jim Broadbent (Bridget Jones & Moulin Rouge) with support from Nick Frost, Olivia Colman (Peep Show & Green Wing), Paddy Considine (Cinderella Man & Bourne Ultimatum) and Bill Bailey (Black Books & Spaced). The police have a very laid back approach and live in a dream like state that nothing really happens in the area. This is something that really gets to Sgt Angel who feels there is always something going on. Some of the menial tasks Sgt Angel and his partner PC Butterman (Nick Frost) are tasked with sorting are an escaped swan and drawing prizes at the village fete.

Not all is as it seems in the paradise of Sandford and the NWA seem concerned about the reputation of there beloved village with the village of the year competition approaching. The NWA includes a number of excellent actors led by the fantastic Timothy Dalton (James Bond...enough said!!), pub landlord Peter Wright (Early Doors) and farmer Kenneth Cranham (Layer Cake). Among there concerns are the poor displays from the amateur dramatics society and the constant spelling and factual errors from the local newspaper. After a series of accidents involving local residents Sgt Angel begins to believe that there is something more sinister taking place...

I have heard some suggestions that the film is possibly too long but personally I don't see any problems with the running time. I thoroughly enjoyed it on first viewing enough to go and see it again. There are so many little things that like spaced and Shaun of the dead make this film absolutely essential viewing. Like Shaun of the Dead and Spaced there are nods to so many different films especially point break, bad boys and lethal weapon. If you like spaced, Shaun of the dead and black books then you'll love this first rate British comedy.

On both Shaun of the Dead and Spaced the DVD extras content is fantastic. With both of these involving Simon Pegg & Nick Frost as writer & director (as this film does as well) I expect this release to be no exception. On Shaun of the Dead / Spaced there are plenty of interviews and documentary's which aren't just one minute long but provide detailed and interesting insight on the making of the film/show. I am certain that this DVD release will not disappoint on this front!!

Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Black Books - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dylan Moran
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutted I never saw it when it was on TV, 26 April 2007
I had never watched or really heard of Black Books when it was originally on as I was at university. But when Amazon sent this as a recommendation and looked at the cast who I knew and like from shows/films Dylan Moran (Shaun of the Dead), Tamsin Greig (Green Wing) and Bill Bailey (Nevermind the Buzzcocks & Hot Fuzz). I thought based on this it was worth a try and was extremely happy I did.

The first series was created by Father Ted and IT Crowd creator Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran. It all starts of in with a small book shop owner Bernard Black (Dylan Moran), the owner of a bits and bobs shop next door Fran (Tamsin Greig) and a stressed out accountant Manny (Bill Bailey). Manny ends up getting a job with Bernard in the shop and becomes his tortured and foolish assistant. In the first series there are lots of funny story lines involving priceless wine, impersonating a policeman and installing a new security system. In this series there are guest appearances from Martin Freeman (The Office) and Nick Frost (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz).

In the second series the relationship between Bernard and Manny becomes even more like a married couple. The second series see Black books get even funnier with some hilarious episodes based around teaching a gangster to read, a sleazy landlord, the bookshop becoming like a mini starbucks and going on holiday. In this series there are again plenty of great guest stars in episodes with Johnny Vegas (Ideal), Rob Brydon (Marrion & Geoff) and Jessica Stevenson (Royle Family & Spaced).

The third and final series has some of the best episodes but the overall quality isn't quite as high. The series starts with Manny having left the book shop to work for an evil chain book shop as he cannot put up with the way Bernard treats him. The episode where Manny & Bernard write a book is one of the funniest things I've ever seen and consistently makes me laugh whenever I see it. I think the series saves the best to last and it manages to answer a lot of questions especially about Bernard which is done brilliantly. The guest stars in this series pick up in series 3 with Simon Pegg (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), Lucy Davis (The Office Shaun of the Dead), Annette Crosbie (One Foot in the Grave), Keith Allen (Robin Hood) and Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing).

It's a great shame that I as I'm sure there are other who discovered this gem of a comedy after it's original run but if you like shows like Father Ted, Spaced, Extras and Blackadder I think you'll love black books.

Stop The Clocks [2CD + DVD]
Stop The Clocks [2CD + DVD]
Offered by Mattpuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a few missing but still plenty of good tunes to out do a boybands best of!!, 30 Nov. 2006
I'd heard Noel do a few interviews before this album was released and it brought the choices of some of the tracks into perspective. He explained like many people he got into The Beatles by listening to the Red & Blue 62-66, 67- 70 double albums (me included). Because the record company put the thumbscrews on to release a greatest hits he thought it'd be better to give a broad review of what he considered the bands best songs and what would make up a good concert set list. This is what Stop the clocks really is a double CD of what a great Oasis gig would be like.

It's true that a lot of the songs feature on either Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory but when you listen back to those albums they do stand above the likes of Be Here Now or Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. Songs like Rock N' Roll Star, Slide Away, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova may not have been single but their always highlights of going to see Oasis live. As for putting some B Sides on there you could put The Masterplan and Acquiesce on any of the albums and think they were the singles from the album.

It's true I do miss some of my own personal favourites like D'you know what I mean? and Stop Crying Your Heart Out but there are 18 quality tunes on there which make up for it. How many bands release paint by numbers greatest hits not many do it this way which is part of what makes Oasis the best band of a great era.

The bonus DVD is well worth the extra money. The 40 minute interview with Liam and Noel (well mainly Noel) is full of the kind of insight that makes the definitely maybe DVD a great watch. My personal favourite part is Champagne Supernova live at Knebworth with John Squire as it brings together parts of the two greatest Manchester bands of all time.

If you've already got all the albums and B sides it may not be the greatest purchase you ever make. But if this is the start of your Oasis collection then this is a great introduction to some of the best songs every created. With classics like Live Forever, Some Might Say, Don't Look Back In Anger, Cigarettes & Alcohol and Wonderwall on the 2 CD's you can't argue with the quality!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2009 12:56 PM GMT

Gerrard: My Autobiography
Gerrard: My Autobiography
by Steven Gerrard

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinting insight into a modern day Captain Marvel, 27 Nov. 2006
Reading this book gave me an insight into how not all modern footballers are wideboy, prima donna's obssessed with the bling. I bought the book and read it within a week which for someone who isn't the keenest say's alot.

In the book he explains about why his roots and his family are important to him. It was very interesting to read about the drama of an injury when he was young nearly ended everything before it began (I won't give too many details). Other intriguing childhood insight comes from his rejection by the school of excellence at Lilleshall affected him badly and drove him to become a better player.

There are a number of inner insecurities and difficulities in talking about his problems that you discover in the book which are amazing to discover. To read about how his parents divorce, first getting into the Liverpool team, and the struggle of Euro 2000 provides an insight into the kind of thoughts that make reading an autobiography worth reading.

It was good to hear Stevie's own view on his relationship with Alex Curran rather than what the papers tell us to think. The chapters that dealt with rejecting a moves to Chelsea are fascinating and create a great sympathy for what a difficult decission it was.

My personal highlight of the book was the chapter about the Champions League triumph. It brought tingles down my spine thinking about the atmosphere and pressure that that situation must bring and the elation of managing to lift the trophy. As part of this it was amazing to read how honesty he talks about his relationship with Rafael Benitez. From his first impressions and his desire to make the manager praise one of his performances.

Overall a fantastic book with lots of absorbing insight into what makes Steven Gerrard arguably the best English footballer in the modern game.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Party Edition - Solus (PS2)
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Party Edition - Solus (PS2)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Very average at best, It's no competition for Buzz - The Big Quiz, 27 Nov. 2006
The biggest problem with trying to create an interactive buzzers game for Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is that there is very few options to vary the concept. When there is already a very strong market leader like Buzz - The Big Quiz to compete with the Millionaire game falls a bit short.

The game has around 4 different game play options all of which are fairly similar with the rounds all being very similar as well. When you compare this to Buzz which is equally limited in the number of different game options there is a big difference when it comes to individual levels which have a much greater variety making each individual round a lot of fun.

The questions on the game are in a very small print at the bottom of the screen which makes it difficult to read even if you've got good eyesight. With the questions being in a small font, there only being ten seconds to read and answer the questions as they are not read out loud. This makes the whole process a bit taxing. In comparison Buzz has a larger font and the questions are also read which makes the game a little more enjoyable especially when you get 20 - 30 seconds to answer each question. This doesn't mean the questions are much different in terms of difficulty it just gives you a bit more of a sporting chance.

I'm not someone who finds Chris Tarrant particularly irritating I still quite enjoy the live show. But once again his voice over for the Millionaire in comparison to the larger than life `Buzz' once again leaves the new game behind it's older counterpart. The sarcastic wit provided from Jason Donovan and entertaining computer animated antics of Buzz make this presenter in a league of his own.

The final comparison between the two games comes with the characters in the game. After a couple of games the fat football fan, female athlete and co become very limited and a bit irritating. When you compare this to the entertainment from the Liam Gallagher, Fat Elvis and Marylyn Monroe-a-like's on Buzz you find yourself wishing you were playing Buzz.

I think that fans of Millionaire may want to try it for themselves as I did myself. But personally I don't feel it made the most use of the Buzzers that you play the game with and wasn't as exciting or fun as Buzz - The Big Quiz.

Page: 1 | 2