Profile for N J Dowdle > Reviews

N J Dowdle

Historic Doubts on the Life and Reign of King Richard the Third
Historic Doubts on the Life and Reign of King Richard the Third

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 26 Mar. 2015
How interesting to read a book written so long ago which casts doubt on the generally accepted version that Richard the Third was responsible for murdering the Princes in the tower.
I like how the author comes across as just being disgusted with the blind belief and downright slander so prevalent in the topic.
The style of writing is wonderfully archaic and was a real pleasure to read.
Nowhere else is it stressed just how barbaric were the goings on of the supposed nobility in the fourteen hundreds, that eliminating rivals was expected, people fall into the trap of judging these people by today's societies standards.
Judging by what we know of Richard's possessions and law making and work as Duke of Gloucester he was probably a good ruler, chivalrous and possibly a bit too naive for the period, hence his downfall.
I like the thought of him being a good knight and in my heart I think that the Prince Edward died of whatever ailment was plaguing him in the tower and that the younger Prince was sent abroad to be raised in secret. And I think that Richard didn't take any steps to defend his actions regarding the Princes because he genuinely didn't believe a defence was warranted. I think he was killed in battle by traitors prior to the slander being spread widely enough to concern him.
All that bloodshed and turmoil would undoubtedly have toughened Richard up over the years, he would probably have been a nasty piece of work, but I can't see how a man so interested in the law and fairness and chivalry, as he was believed to have been, could countenance the murder of ANY children never mind his beloved brothers children.

The Wolfen
The Wolfen

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Wolfen (Kindle Edition)
I read this book many years ago and I'd forgotten how great it is! By midway through I was rooting for the monstrous wolves! Excellent and scary!

During the Dance
During the Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: During the Dance (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyable short story. Everything he writes is captivating. Really looking forward to reading something, ANYTHING else by Mark Lawrence.

Half the World (Shattered Sea, Book 2)
Half the World (Shattered Sea, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC, 7 Mar. 2015
Must be my favourite book of them all so far, HAK was good but I preferred the circle of the world books, and then this one blew them all away! Thorn and Brand are brilliant characters and the shattered sea just came alive in a major way in this book somehow! I laughed, cried, cheered and thrilled at all their exploits and I need more now!

Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss and Bulletproof Joints

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Feb. 2015
Very interesting, like the first one, good to find out about a long-term sustainable progressive way of training instead of hopping from one monthly program, courtesy of fitness mags, to another.

HOME WORKOUT FOR BEGINNERS: How to burn fat and get in the best shape of your life

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 Jan. 2015
Great for me because I was bored of doing the same sorts of exercise all the time, this book is full of helpful ideas on how to add a bit of variety. The author doesn't get too technical either which is very refreshing.

Sleeping Beauty: A Broken Empire short story - a Jorg adventure that sits between King of Thorns and Emperor of Thorns, inspired by a well known fairytale. (The Broken Empire)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 12 Jan. 2015
Jorg at his usual creatively destructive self in a world that's so so real because it's ours! The author of these books can't write fast enough in my opinion. I absolutely ate this book just like his others! He's a diabolically brilliant writer!

Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War, Book 1) (Red Queen's War)
Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War, Book 1) (Red Queen's War)

5.0 out of 5 stars Humour and horror in large portions!, 6 Jan. 2015
he's my favourite writer now! that was amazing! I loved the Prince and king and emperor of thorns and was completely transfixed when Jorg and is road brothers turned up in this book too, but I enjoyed this book even more than those others! I haven't Laughed so much since joe abercrombie's first law series and I haven't literally jumped out of my skin whilst reading since I was a kid reading stephen kings pet semetary! The undead in this book are REALLY bloody scary! I absolutely cannot wait for his next book! I prefer joe abercrombie to George Martin cos of the humour and violence in his books but Mark Lawrence has just enthralled me with this beautiful horrifying hilarious experience! 11/10

The Masters of Nature Photography: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
The Masters of Nature Photography: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
by Rosamund Kidman Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, unfortunately it arrived damaged!, 22 Dec. 2013
The book was delivered in a large box with another item, therefore I requested an exchange but the book is now out of stock - very disappointed as the book itself is beautiful.